• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo sets price of Pathfinder RPG PDF at $9.99!!!!!

Aus_Snow

First Post
a $9.99 price point for PFRPG is a great idea. I hope all 3pp's for Pathfinder can get excited about this too!
Yes, and I also hope they (and other publishers in general, while we're at it) follow suit, by offering their own PDFs at sane, reasonable (and fair) prices.

That would be similarly refreshing, and welcome indeed. Oh, and *long* overdue. RPG PDF pricing is, for the most part, atrocious.

Anyway, kudos to Paizo. Once again, you've shown true style, wisdom, and leadership.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Well on average ad PDF sells only 50 copies, you can understand why they might be priced a bit higher then you expect.
I, and others I know who regularly buy PDFs, would be buying more. . . if they were reasonably priced. And this has been the case for *years*. So many lost sales. Ah well. . .

I'm sure that makes sense, no? ;)

lmpjr007

Explorer
Are you talking about your own PDF's, 3.x PDF's, 4e PDF's or just PDF's in general?
I would say in general. There are a lot of variables to getting sales. That is the best way to look at it. 50 sales is a reasonable and very possible goal. But you just can't say, "Look I have a new product on the market, and now I will get 1,000 sale." That does not happen. For me I think it is best if you start with getting 50 sales and then increase in by 10 more sale for each new product. It keeps you motivated and excited.

Jack99

Adventurer
I would say in general. There are a lot of variables to getting sales. That is the best way to look at it. 50 sales is a reasonable and very possible goal. But you just can't say, "Look I have a new product on the market, and now I will get 1,000 sale." That does not happen. For me I think it is best if you start with getting 50 sales and then increase in by 10 more sale for each new product. It keeps you motivated and excited.

Sounds reasonable. I was just wondering where you got the number? Now, I am not in the industry, so the only numbers I have are those from OBE, and their 11 4e products have sold on average 150 copies. So either OBE is very good (which I think they are) or perhaps the 4e PDF marked is selling really well. Or something else. I agree however that shooting for 1k sales would probably be unwise, unless you are one of the few extremely popular designers around.

Jack99

Adventurer
Is the product of said designers better than the product of OBE? What do you think?

Rarely. I think most of the OBE products are really good. But you can probably find people who disagree with me. But the sales of a product are not always tied to quality. We all know the power of brand name, but on a much smaller scale, I suspect that some authors sell more simply because they are "famous" and has previously made awesome stuff. Nothing wrong with that, however.

hogarth_

First Post
Yes, and I also hope they (and other publishers in general, while we're at it) follow suit, by offering their own PDFs at sane, reasonable (and fair) prices.

That would be similarly refreshing, and welcome indeed. Oh, and *long* overdue. RPG PDF pricing is, for the most part, atrocious.

Anyway, kudos to Paizo. Once again, you've shown true style, wisdom, and leadership.
Don't get ahead of yourself -- James Jacobs and other folks at Paizo have been fairly clear that a reasonably priced Pathfinder Adventure Path PDF subscription (i.e. cheaper than buying a subscription to the dead tree version) is not in the works.

Remove ads