Pao

laughingbuhda

First Post
Hi all, if you are bored, can you make head or tail of the Polymorph Any Object spell, or, indeed, any of those spells in the description chain for me?
<start rant>
Questions specifically for PAO include:

1) Are creature types and HD restricted as per Polymoph? If not, what is to stop someone polymorphing, using PAO, the whole party into some stronger gribbly type, e.g. astral devas, which, using the duration calculation table supplied, would result in a duration of 'Permanent'?

2) What is an 'object'? Is a pool of lava an 'object'? Is a small house an 'object' or several 'objects' constituting a 'door', 'windows', ad regressive infinitum?

Questions for PAO, Polymorph and Shapechange include:

3) The Alter Self spell, to which all the higher-powered polymorph spells refer, state clearly that hit points do not change from the transformation, but more powerful versions of the polymorph spell chain (including Polymorph, PAO and Shapechange) say that your Constitution changes to match that of the new creature, so do your post-transformation Con bonuses (or penalties) apply? If so, what on earth is the Constitution of a fly, or had we best restrict polymorphs and shapechanges to creatures with stats in the Monster Manual?

Questions specifically for Shapechange include:

4) Do you regain hit points as if rested for the night as per the Polymorph spell everytime you change your shape, which can be as often as once a round as a free action? To prevent this being broken, I would have thought that you regain hit points from your first transformation only.

I suppose, for the PAO spell not to be broken, the creature types and HD have to be restricted as per Polymorph, so, at best, we can turn the party permanently into trolls or something like that, which is not necessarily beneficial. And, for the purposes of the spell, an 'object' is probably something that can be physically detached and whose dimensions fit entirely within the area of the spell, which is quite small. And, for the purposes of the spell, you can't change into any creature without stats in the game, e.g. a mosquito.

The 'Rules of the Games' clarification on WOTC on the whole topic of polymorphing is no more elucidating, although they appear to suggest the restrictions are as per Polymorph, but then goes on to add more creature types for PAO.

I do wish WOTC would just spend a bit more money (even passing them on to the consumer) and print spell descriptions in full; these 'refer to some other spell which in turn refer to some other spell except where vaguely addressed here' descriptions are extremely confusing.

<end rant>

Last edited:

sukael

First Post
laughingbuhda said:
Are creature types and HD restricted as per Polymoph? If not, what is to stop someone polymorphing, using PAO, the whole party into some stronger gribbly type, e.g. astral devas, which, using the duration calculation table supplied, would result in a duration of 'Permanent'?

"This spell functions like polymorph, except that it changes one object or creature into another." Thus, as polymorph has limitations, and polymorph any object doesn't say anything about not having them, so does polymorph any object.

laughingbuhda said:
2) What is an 'object'? Is a pool of lava an 'object'? Is a small house an 'object' or several 'objects' constituting a 'door', 'windows', ad regressive infinitum?

An object is... an object. A house is not an object, as it is made of many separate objects. A pool of lava is not an object, as it is not solid.

laughingbuhda said:
3) The Alter Self spell, to which all the higher-powered polymorph spells refer, state clearly that hit points do not change from the transformation, but more powerful versions of the polymorph spell chain (including Polymorph, PAO and Shapechange) say that your Constitution changes to match that of the new creature, so do your post-transformation Con bonuses (or penalties) apply? If so, what on earth is the Constitution of a fly, or had we best restrict polymorphs and shapechanges to creatures with stats in the Monster Manual?

Con changes, and so do bonus hit points from Con. Base hit points, however, do not change.

laughingbuhda said:
4) Do you regain hit points as if rested for the night as per the Polymorph spell everytime you change your shape, which can be as often as once a round as a free action? To prevent this being broken, I would have thought that you regain hit points from your first transformation only.

By the RAW, yes.

JimAde

First Post
sukael said:
PLEASE change that to a different color. It's very, very hard to read with the default ENWorld theme.

Seconded. I don't mean to sound snarky, but I won't even read your question because it gives me a headache.

Iku Rex

Explorer
(Only answering the questions I know the answer to OTTOMH.)

laughingbuhda said:
1) Are creature types and HD restricted as per Polymoph?
Basically, yes.

(Some people think otherwise. They are, of course, wrong. :) There was a thread on this subject a while back, but I don't have search and google search isn't cooperating. I did find several old threads on polymorph here.)
laughingbuhda [moved up - IR said:
]The 'Rules of the Games' clarification on WOTC on the whole topic of polymorphing is no more elucidating, although they appear to suggest the restrictions are as per Polymorph, but then goes on to add more creature types for PAO.
Actually, far from "suggesting the restrictions are as per Polymorph", the article specifically says that you can turn into any creature with PaO.

laughingbuhda said:
If not, what is to stop someone polymorphing, using PAO, the whole party into some stronger gribbly type, e.g. astral devas, which, using the duration calculation table supplied, would result in a duration of 'Permanent'?
Nothing. It would be grotesquely broken.

The Gloom (ELH) - Medium, Str 32, Dex 46, Con 29, Int 26, +13d6 sneak attack , +12 insight AC - is a good form choice to buff the party. Hoary hunters and lesahy (also ELH) are nice too.
laughingbuhda said:
3) The Alter Self spell, to which all the higher-powered polymorph spells refer, state clearly that hit points do not change from the transformation, but more powerful versions of the polymorph spell chain (including Polymorph, PAO and Shapechange) say that your Constitution changes to match that of the new creature, so do your post-transformation Con bonuses (or penalties) apply?
By the RAW your hit points remain the same. According to Skip Williams, your hit points change. An earlier thread on the subject: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=141429 . (This post summarizes my position.)

Last edited:

IcyCool

First Post
laughingbuhda said:
1) Are creature types and HD restricted as per Polymoph? If not, what is to stop someone polymorphing, using PAO, the whole party into some stronger gribbly type, e.g. astral devas, which, using the duration calculation table supplied, would result in a duration of 'Permanent'?

PaO, unless it states otherwise, follows the restrictions of Polymorph. And unless your party is made up of outsiders, how are you creating permanent Astral devas?

laughingbuhda said:

This seems pretty much like DM fiat.

laughingbuhda said:

By RAW, your hit points do not change (although that is in debate). A common house rule is to recalculate your hitpoints based on your new con score.

laughingbuhda said:

Yes, you regain hit points as if having rested for the night. You could certainly house rule it to be your first transformation only, although keep in mind this is a 9th level spell.

laughingbuhda said:
I suppose, for the PAO spell not to be broken, the creature types and HD have to be restricted as per Polymorph, so, at best, we can turn the party permanently into trolls or something like that, which is not necessarily beneficial.

How are you getting permanently polymorphed trolls? (I'm curious, so could you specify what steps you are using on the PaO chart?

laughingbuhda said:
And, for the purposes of the spell, an 'object' is probably something that can be physically detached and whose dimensions fit entirely within the area of the spell, which is quite small. And, for the purposes of the spell, you can't change into any creature without stats in the game, e.g. a mosquito.

Shapechange references turning into a flea. :)

laughingbuhda said:
The 'Rules of the Games' clarification on WOTC on the whole topic of polymorphing is no more elucidating, although they appear to suggest the restrictions are as per Polymorph, but then goes on to add more creature types for PAO.

'Rules of the Game' = Skip's House Rules (which are sometimes consistent with RAW).

JimAde

First Post
Laughingbuhda: Thanks for changing the text color. Much better.

To respond to various points in no particular order:

I think they got permanent trolls by assuming a troll is a mammal (not an unreasonable assumption). Same kingdom: +5, Same class (mammal): +2, Same or lower int: +2. That's +9 which is permanent. If you want to say trolls aren't mammals I'm sure something equally abusive could be found.

Since PAO specifically says you can turn the subject into anything, there is no limit on the creature type. But since it doesn't say anything about Hit Dice, I assume the restrictions from Polymorph still apply. That's a max of 15 HD.

As far as turning permanently into Astral Devas, that's a judgement call. Are outsiders mammals? Are they even animals? In my game, no they aren't. YMMV.

JimAde

First Post
Iku Rex said:
No, it doesn't.
The point I was trying to make is that there isn't a limit on the creature type. Since the duration chart lists examples like "pebble to human" and "lizard to manticore", I think we can safely assume changing one type of creature into another type is OK. It just limits the duration.

IcyCool

First Post
JimAde said:
I think they got permanent trolls by assuming a troll is a mammal (not an unreasonable assumption). Same kingdom: +5, Same class (mammal): +2, Same or lower int: +2. That's +9 which is permanent. If you want to say trolls aren't mammals I'm sure something equally abusive could be found.

Ahh, I generally use the creature type for the 'Same Class' restriction. It helps keep abuse to a minimum. Not sure if it is RAW though.

Remove ads