Level Up (A5E) Paranormal Power and Psionic Heritages/Cultures

Steampunkette's Paranormal Power book for 5e and A5e introduced us to the serpent-like Nedraz heritage and cultures, but there have been other psionic races in previous editions of D&D and in other 3pp products. So which of them should be given the A5e treatment? ;)

3e's Expanded Psionics Handbook introduced us to the Dromite, Duergar, Elan, Githyanki, Githzerai, Half-Giant, Maenad, Thri-kreen and Xeph. 3e also introduced the Synad in it's Complete Psionics book. Lastly 4e had introduced the Shardmind in it's third PHB.

Now I know that the Elan heritage had it's debut in Josh Gentry's Slice of Psionics PDF. But I can imagine Steampunkette's work adding something extra to this heritage. ;) As for the others I listed here, I can see them getting Wild Talent Gifts or Psionic-related cultures tied to them. Purple Martin Games' Manual of Adventurous Resources: Wilderness has the Azure Mind Gift for anyone wanting to play one of the Blue Goblins (last seen in 3e's Expanded Psionics Handbook)

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
So... little playful tidbit from Paranormal Power:

The characters with wild hair colors are Elan. I worked on that release with Josh, and he worked with me on Paranormal Power. We slipped the Elan into both books.

Also the Thoughtform Sorcerer image? Is a Talos, from Dose of Dungeonpunk.

Now we just need to wait for you to know what the girl with the red lines on her face is from another release.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I would be happy with any or all of these making it into A5e, and in fact I have homebrewed most of these for my own game. My favorites as far as psionics goes are probably the Blue, the Duergar, and the Shardmind.

So... little playful tidbit from Paranormal Power:

The characters with wild hair colors are Elan. I worked on that release with Josh, and he worked with me on Paranormal Power. We slipped the Elan into both books.

Also the Thoughtform Sorcerer image? Is a Talos, from Dose of Dungeonpunk.

Now we just need to wait for you to know what the girl with the red lines on her face is from another release.
Okay, now I am tempted to check out his work on the Elan and the Talos. I don't have either of his PDFs, so I overlooked them when I was looking through Paranormal Power. :whistle: The girl on page 23? No clue. ;)

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Also... While there are only four heritages explicitly covered by the Heritage Gifts in Paranormal Power, the Wild Talent gift can also be used by human-blooded characters, too.

So Half Orcs, Half Elves, and Planetouched could all use the Wild Talent gift, rules as written and intended.

Which means only Gnomes and Halflings from the Adventurer's Guide aren't covered, explicitly... but Gnomes gaining the Dwarf gift and Halflings gaining the Elf gift -also- works wonderfully.

Also... While there are only four heritages explicitly covered by the Heritage Gifts in Paranormal Power, the Wild Talent gift can also be used by human-blooded characters, too.

So Half Orcs, Half Elves, and Planetouched could all use the Wild Talent gift, rules as written and intended.

Which means only Gnomes and Halflings from the Adventurer's Guide aren't covered, explicitly... but Gnomes gaining the Dwarf gift and Halflings gaining the Elf gift -also- works wonderfully.
The Kalashtar from the Eberron setting would also benefit from what's inside Paranormal Power. :) Human Heritage/Kalashtar culture?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Ohh... that also works well? They do have the whole Quori aspect I wasn't really thinking of. Are Unbonded Kalashtar human or are they Kalashtar?
I've assumed the Quori aspect was part of their makeup; admittedly, I'm not terribly familiar with all the details of Eberron.

Remove ads