Parting Gifts

kinem

Adventurer
Thank you all for your interesting and worthy submissions. Since I must choose, the PCs will be as follows:

Jemal: Kurina - Elven Female Ranger/Sorc/Horizon Walker/Arcane Archer.

Clutching Yggdrasil: Zacharia Te'Ashun - Elf Paladin / Rogue.

Shayuri: 'Grandfather' - Druid.

Voidrazor: Haessellekh - Elan Wizard / Psion / Cerebremancer.

sans: Yolo Hallowberry - Cleric.

Please stat up your PC and post it in the Rogues' Gallery.

The PCs have heard that Mayor Richards of Settonton intends to crown himself king; in fact you have all recieved an invitation to his coronation, which is set for tomorrow. This is an important development because it represents a clean break with the old Bylan Empire, and there is no doubt that many other local rulers will soon follow this example all around the continent. The orcs to the north of Settonton have declared their own kingdom, but they were never truly integrated with the Bylan Empire in the first place, so that drew much less attention. You also know that there is growing tension between humans and the half-orc minority in the Settonton area, which risks spiraling into violence.

You all know each other and have worked with some or all of the other PCs during the war. Now, you are gathering in Settonton to discuss the recent developments. You are known as great heroes, and your words would carry weight with the people, should you choose to take a political stand.

Does it make sense that you would meet at a tavern, or would you prefer another place?

We'll start IC as soon as that's clear, which should be tomorrow if you all post :) You may have noticed that I already started the IC thread, but don't post IC quite yet; it's intended to help build up interest.

sans

First Post
kinem, thanks for accepting me.

I need approval for a couple of magic items:

1. Belt of Health +6 (similar to Amulet of Health)
2. Vest of Resistance +5 (similar to Cloak of resistance)

If one or both of the above are not allowed, then which alternative body slots (if any) can I place a CON and Save booster?

Thanks.

Shayuri

First Post
Huzzah!

I'll post tomorrow with crunch and crunch questions (including a relatively simple custom magic item), but for now I'm just posting to confirm my interest and thank you very much. :)

Joy :)
Okay, the character's posted in the RG. Two magic items you might want to verify, a Tattoo of Health +4 and a Tattoo of Persuasion (works the same way as the circlet) Costs are doubled as per DMG rules page 285.

Tavern works, and judging by the IC intro it shouldn't be too long before we see action :]

kinem

Adventurer
Items on alternate body slots (or abilities tacked onto another item of the same traditional slot) will cost 50% more. Slotless items or tattoos cost double.

Pay careful attention to the house rules. For hp, after 1st level it's (average + .5). For example, a Paladin 8/Rogue 12 with a Con bonus of +2 would have 10 + 7 x 6 + 12 * 4 + 40 = 140 hp.

Another one that's easy to miss is that the MW bonus to hit stacks with magical enhancement. This will give you +1 to hit compared to standard rules when using a magical weapon.

It indeed won't be long before you see action, but it may not be what you think :]

kinem said:
Items on alternate body slots (or abilities tacked onto another item of the same traditional slot) will cost 50% more. Slotless items or tattoos cost double.

Pay careful attention to the house rules. For hp, after 1st level it's (average + .5). For example, a Paladin 8/Rogue 12 with a Con bonus of +2 would have 10 + 7 x 6 + 12 * 4 + 40 = 140 hp.

Another one that's easy to miss is that the MW bonus to hit stacks with magical enhancement. This will give you +1 to hit compared to standard rules when using a magical weapon.

It indeed won't be long before you see action, but it may not be what you think :]

HP corrected, I think all else checks out.

Hrmm, intriging. Looking forward to it.

kinem

Adventurer
I'll go over it later, no time now.

I just want to offer a few general tips for buying equipment for a high level character. These are NOT requirements and are not directed at anyone in particular, just my general opinions applicable to any high level game:

- Every high level character should have some way of flying.
- A Hat of Disguise is an incredible bargain.
- One failed saving throw and it could all be over. 25k for a cloak of resistance +5 is a bargain.
- It may be useful to look at some typical CR 20 monsters to see what kind of power level you may be up against.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
kinem said:
I'll go over it later, no time now.

I just want to offer a few general tips for buying equipment for a high level character. These are NOT requirements and are not directed at anyone in particular, just my general opinions applicable to any high level game:

- Every high level character should have some way of flying.
- A Hat of Disguise is an incredible bargain.
- One failed saving throw and it could all be over. 25k for a cloak of resistance +5 is a bargain.
- It may be useful to look at some typical CR 20 monsters to see what kind of power level you may be up against.

HEH, Those're the rules we always talk about in town here, too. Though instead of 'typical CR 20 monsters", we usually prepare for Balor's, Pit Fiends, Great Red Wyrms, and 20th lvl wizard/archmage Liches. I figure if you can survive them, what else have you got to worry about.

A couple things to add to the list of lvl 20 gear, however - There are really only 2 differenet form's of Armour class at high level. "Everything hits me", and "Nothing Hits me". Oh sure it's possible to get the AC that is between, where some things your CR/lvl have a bit of trouble, but if you can get your AC that high, then chances are it's not to hard to get it higher.

That being said, unless you're TRYING for a High AC, I would probably suggest ignoring most AC items. at least the higher end ones... (+5 Nat armour +5 Deflection, +8 Armour are all kinda pointless if they make your AC total 30 with dex, which any 20th lvl fighter has a 50/50 chance on with just his BAB). If you can't get your AC to 40 or higher, I'ld suggest not spending a lot of money on it.

And finally, you should probably have SOMETHING to protect against Fort save vs death(Death Magic) and Will save vs death(Hold/Enchantment)

That being said, my roommates keep taking my books into their rooms and they work nights, so won't be up for about 4 hours at the earliest. I'll get my stats done when I can.

Remove ads