Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder 2E's reception?

dave2008

Legend
I was interested to see that Call of Cthulu did so well on the list. I wonder if this is an indication of a more competitive #2 game for players or just a site specific thing.
I know. I didn't list it, but it has been steadily raising too. However, it is somewhat worthwhile to mention that the CoC category includes all editions of CoC.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
PS I agree that companies have to act like the game is doing well, that is why I am inclined to take Paizo's (or WotC) own reporting with a grain of salt.

EDIT: The 1.2% you quoted was for D&D 3.5e, not PF. If your interested, 3.5e has been trending down too: 1.57% - 1.25% - 1.21%

EDIT EDIT: And 5e was down in Q3 and gained in Q4, but not as high as Q2: 51.87% - 45.03% - 47.54%

FYI: PF2 was only released in Q3 of 2019, so everything is still very early. It will be interesting to follow.

This post needs more edits like I need more cowbell!

giphy.gif

Porridge

Explorer
Well on Roll20, Pathfinder 1E is about five percent of games played while Pathfinder 2E is at one percent. That's not a good look if you ask me...

Unfortunately, as things stand, I don't think Roll20 usage stats are going to be very helpful. This is because Roll20 has yet to support any of the PF2 adventure path modules. And since the Pathfinder APs are a big reason many fans of Pathfinder play the game, Roll20's lack of support means that relatively few people playing PF2 are going to be doing it on Roll20.

A better gauge would be to look at stats for Fantasy Grounds, who have support for every PF2 AP module that's been released. Unfortunately, I don't have a Fantasy Grounds account, or access to their recent usage statistics, so I don't know how well PF2 is doing. But that would be the place to look.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Unfortunately, as things stand, I don't think Roll20 usage stats are going to be very helpful. This is because Roll20 has yet to support any of the PF2 adventure path modules. And since the Pathfinder APs are a big reason many fans of Pathfinder play the game, Roll20's lack of support means that relatively few people playing PF2 are going to be doing it on Roll20.

A better gauge would be to look at stats for Fantasy Grounds, who have support for every PF2 AP module that's been released. Unfortunately, I don't have a Fantasy Grounds account, or access to their recent usage statistics, so I don't know how well PF2 is doing. But that would be the place to look.

Thanks for the insight. Why aren't the adventure path modules on roll20? Seems like a huge ball was dropped there?

Porridge

Explorer
Thanks for the insight. Why aren't the adventure path modules on roll20? Seems like a huge ball was dropped there?

Yeah, I find it surprising as well. As far as I can tell, Roll20 only has support for one PF2 adventure, The Fall of Plaguestone. And that's just a standalone introductory module, not an AP module. Whereas Fantasy Grounds already has support for every PF2 AP module, including the one just released this month.

Apparently staff shortages at Roll20 and other delays have something to do with it, though they're promising to support more PF2 content. Here's a thread on the Roll20 site about this, with comments here and here from members of the Roll20 Team.

dave2008

Legend

They FG stats are posted hear (on EnWorld) as well, so I little digging should find them. But I think it is too early to a good idea of a trend at this point. We are only talking about 6 months of data.

Last edited:

Well on Roll20, Pathfinder 1E is about five percent of games played while Pathfinder 2E is at one percent. That's not a good look if you ask me...

It is a tricky thing to look at percentages without backing numbers. If you look at 5e at the same time in it's life cycle, it was at 20% with about 5201 games (25,925 games total). The last report that we have numbers for, Q1 2018, has D&D 5e at 60% with 76833 games (126,213 games total). PF 1 on the same reports had 6185 in q4 2014 and 12463 q1 2018 and went from 24% to 10% double the number of games half the percent of total games. If they have followed the same growth doubling number of games every two years PF2 would be at about 3000 games or about 60% of 5e at the same time in it's life cycle. If PF2 grows to 60% of 5e I expect Paizo would be ecstatic. I don't expect that but even 10% would be quite successful.

Remove ads