• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder outselling D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah - I am sure there is piracy going on out there. Just wasn't sure how piracy as a suggested solution is a sound one. Certainly an option I suppose - just doesn't strike me as a very legitimate means of obtaining the content.

Dont get wrong, i am not advocating piracy. But I think that alongside with ebay will ensure 4e gets play long after it goes out of production. I recently started a 2e ravenloft campaign and was able to track down used copies of all the ravenloft material from the 90s (as well as the core 2e books).

IronWolf

blank
PDFs are overrated. I can't curl up on the couch and read it while my wife watches stupid women sniping at each other in whatever city of the season. They do me no good when I'm at the table and the PC is in another room (no, i'm not going to let someone else's fingers touch my fondle slab). I can't legally loan one out to a friend interested in joining the game or wanting to try a different character build. They are also useless after the zombie plague has been squashed and power has yet to be restored.

Laptop and tablets have pretty much eliminated this con to PDFs. A tablet is no more obtrusive than a book and is great for use in the living room or at the game table.

The latter point is a good one once that battery runs out though! Darn zombies!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
It's not hard to believe the news, despite me finding it just a tad inflammatory on Lisa's part. I mean it's exciting and they should be proud of their quality products, but being vocal with your community is one thing and being vocal with sales, idk, seems a little beneath Paizo. I'm sure it wasn't meant in that way, and they are D&D's competitor so I guess it's fair game, but still.

I wouldn't get your undies in a wad over it. It's not like this was put out as a self-congratulatory press release. The topic came up in a thread where posters questioned market share. Lisa put in her 2 cents to provide some more reliable information.

Hussar

Legend
MapTool with the right Pathfinder framework works really well for online Pathfinder games. Using either PCGen or HeroLab to export some stat blocks you can pretty easily create monster tokens, NPC tokens and such with minimal effort. There is a little duct tape and baling wire involved, but it isn't too bad.

Just to let people know on the other side of things, Maptools, with the right frameworks, allows you to create tokens directly from the DDI. Pretty much just cut and paste straight into the token and you have all your macros pre-set.

One of the DM's in our group just got turned onto using the tools and came back and said that he had fully statted up dozens of monsters in a matter of minutes.

For either game, Maptool is the gold standard for VTT's AFAIC.

Laptop and tablets have pretty much eliminated this con to PDFs. A tablet is no more obtrusive than a book and is great for use in the living room or at the game table.

The latter point is a good one once that battery runs out though! Darn zombies!

I agree that these devices (along with smartphones) are having an impact. Before pdfs were something you had to print before the game. But with laptops and tablets they are actually easier to use. I am going to buy a laptop devoted to running my games. That way i can have all my game notes and all the rules available at tbe touch of q button. No more pile of books or a messy gm binder.

Danzauker

Adventurer
Do the sale figures include also Amazon and such?

I own a good %80 of 4E books, but I haven't bought one of them in a store since the edition's launch.

I own a good %80 of 4E books, but I haven't bought one of them in a store since the edition's launch.

I think a lot of distributors sell through amazon. But not sure if wizards or paizo just deals with amazon directly. People have been posting recent amazon bestseller lists which shows pathfinder at the top. Dont know how reliable those lists are though.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned

Not quite entirely, I have PDFs of various things that fail to load correctly (probably memory limitations) on fondle slabs.

If my PC lets the magic smoke out, or my NAS, or netbooks, fondle slab, and the original supplier is no longer in existance or has removed PDF as a product, or the commies/mutants/terrorists use an EMP, short of a fire or natural disaster, I will always have my books. I like having a physical product, at least when it comes to RPGs. I'll never need electricity to use them, like when I'm wearing my tinfoil tri-corner hat, hiding in the woods from the alien invasion. A PDF should be a bonus for buying the physical product, it doesn't cost anything additional to produce, unlike dead tree tomes. If someone wants a PDF-only version of something, fine they can pay for it. I should get it free for purchasing dead trees, like when I buy a Blu-ray that comes with DVD and digital copy of a movie.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned

I've got a premier store down the road. They sell wotc and paizo (and about everything else) just slightly higher than amazon, less than them after shipping. I get to support my store, have the product early, pay less than full price, and instant gratification all in one trip to the store. :cool:

Danzauker

Adventurer
I've got a premier store down the road. They sell wotc and paizo (and about everything else) just slightly higher than amazon, less than them after shipping. I get to support my store, have the product early, pay less than full price, and instant gratification all in one trip to the store. :cool:

I didn't ask for advice on how to spend my money, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads