• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder outselling D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pour

First Post
It's funny how it's all worked out with the biggest player taking a monumental risk and diving in head first whilst a secondary player becomes a major player by playing it safe and catering to an already established core audience.

Things like DDI, I think, are often better done by those eager to take a slice of a new pie that hasn't even baked yet. Traditionally it's the big players that are loathe to give up their core market and progress into new areas.

I agree it is unusual, but I honestly applaud them for it. It's not going to win them the print publishing top spot, but perfected digital offerings are the future of the hobby in my opinion, or what I want the most anyway. They are just in the process of figuring them all out.

Hopefully they can stay the course like is suggested in the editorial. A fully updated compendium kept current with released material, a VTT, a full and customizable Adventure Tool Suite and Character Builder, and what I hope is eventually a marketplace where everyone can offer material and be rated accordingly (and where Dungeon and Dragon content is accessible to subscribers) is my ideal DDI.

I feel like I'm way off topic, though, so congrats to Paizo for their hard work and success. I'm hopeful WotC will find their own with time and effort.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I'm really glad to see Paizo kicking so much ass though. Because it's going to make for a much better & stronger D&D game /property down the road- either because WOTC/Hasbro gets their rear in gear and removes their heads from that region, or WOTC and/or D&D gets sold off to someone who really cares and will nurse the property back to great health like Pete did when TSR was in it's death throes.

Maybe. It is also possible that WotC will just cede the TTRPG market to Paizo, given that to a company Wotc/Hasbro's size, it isn't really worth much. Board, card and computer games are all much more profitable and seen by far more consumers. People talk about how 4E turned D&D into a board game and an MMO, but the real problem is that it didn't.

Board games are easy to grab and play and, thses days, infinitely expandable, and an MMO along the lines of Guild Wars with the ability of users to create instanced adventures a la Neverwinter Nights would be a rock solid entry into the marketplace and a true 21st century version of D&D. I'd buy and play those games, and still get my weekly TT fix from Pathfinder.

Win - win.

Dannager

First Post
Board games are easy to grab and play and, thses days, infinitely expandable, and an MMO along the lines of Guild Wars with the ability of users to create instanced adventures a la Neverwinter Nights would be a rock solid entry into the marketplace and a true 21st century version of D&D.

You are, perhaps, not aware that this very game is in development and scheduled for release later this year.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Does the D&D brand manager (whoever it is these days) ever interract with the fans? (I don't think he/she does here, but maybe on the WotC boards?)

I think WotC has found gold in DDI and board games, so the tabletop RPG printed product has become the afterthought. Clearly it's no longer the focus.

If I recall correctly, they are soon releasing a very moderately priced D&D board game and I think they will eventually have a "base board game" with add-ons (ala Talisman). It wouldn't surprise me if all of the board games they are releasing now are the experiments that they are using to "test the waters" before they design the game that will be "the base game".

Nagol

Unimportant
You are, perhaps, not aware that this very game is in development and scheduled for release later this year.

I'm watching the game, but sceptical at this point.

I've disliked the last two Cryptic games (although I am a huge PnP Champions fan) and Cryptic is going through is own shake-up as we speak (Atari sold the studio off last month). We'll see how well it is produced.

Dannager

First Post
I'm watching the game, but sceptical at this point.

I've disliked the last two Cryptic games (although I am a huge PnP Champions fan) and Cryptic is going through is own shake-up as we speak (Atari sold the studio off last month). We'll see how well it is produced.

I'm withholding judgment as well. It has promising ideas. I just wish I could have more faith in the studio's ability to produce successful games. I did like the E3 teaser trailer they showed off, though.

Dannager

First Post
I think WotC has found gold in DDI and board games, so the tabletop RPG printed product has become the afterthought. Clearly it's no longer the focus.

I disagree, at least as far as DDI is concerned. It's moving away from it, but the printed product is still the focus. It receives the most hype, the most development attention, and the most experienced talent. When we start seeing truly huge releases happening through DDI instead of in print, then we'll know that the focus has shifted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads