Paycheck - One of the worst movies ever!

buzzard

First Post
Kesh said:
Well, thanks for the opinions about Affleck. Personally, I don't think he's anything special as an actor... but I don't think he's bad.

Now, Keanu Reeves... he should stick to Bill & Ted. He did great in those films. :D Just a bit too monotone and stiff for the Matrix flicks. He was okay in Johnny Mnemonic, because it suited the character... seems Reeves really only stands out when he's allowed to be over-the-top, like the junkyard scene in JM ("I want a $10,000 a night hooker!"). :cool:

I rather liked Reeves in The Replacements. Now granted, any good movies he has done will never make up for Much Ado About Nothing. Yeeech. How one person can tank a Kenneth Branaugh Shakespear film begs a great deal of explanation.

buzzard

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Just so i don't sound too negative on movies this winter...I just saw Big Fish, and I thought it was great. Excellent take on storytelling, and something every DM should see.

Larcen

Explorer
Hand of Evil said:
Ben Afflack strikes again! :) So, happy that I do not go see anything with him in it.

That's too bad, you are missing out on Good Will Hunting.

Of course that movie was probably good because he was only a side character. ;)

takyris

First Post
Because you've met him and hung out with him, right? You're not basing that on some interview you watched on E!, or on one random encounter where he asked you to hold an elevator for him and wasn't properly thankful and you chuckled to yourself because now you knew that Ben Affleck was a jerk and could tell everyone about it?

Just checking.

mmu1

First Post
I don't think the movie was nearly that bad... Nothing special given the budget it must have had, but it was an ok action movie.

The biggest problem for me was that their choice of "key items" and the way they came to be used was completely uninspired... The one scene in "Minority Report" where Anderton and the precog use her vision of the immediate future to dodge the cops was better than anything in the Paycheck.

They should have made the way the items were used either much more logical and smarter or completely over the top and wild - as it is, they felt like something out of a mediocre adventure game.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Larcen said:
That's too bad, you are missing out on Good Will Hunting.

Of course that movie was probably good because he was only a side character. ;)

I did see Daredevil (5/10) but that was really to see Jennifer Garner. :)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Sorry for raising an old thread from the dead, but I just saw Paycheck on TV this week - I'd always avoided it because I don't like Ben Affleck and I'd heard it being panned everywhere.

But I liked it.

I'd read the original short story a decade or so ago, so I knew what the fundamental twist in it was, and I thought that the odds & ends, how they worked etc. fitted very nicely with the pattern of the original book - it was arguably much closer to the source material than Total Recall was to 'We can remember it for you wholesale' - a tiny story which is a brilliant read if you get the chance :)

Remove ads