• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Payn's Ponderings Black History Month Music Edition

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
2/10 Sharon Jones

This one is really tough for me. I was lucky enough to see Sharon and the Dap Kings a number of times. Great musicians and a beautiful soul! After she battled cancer, she went on a tour that was unleashed. I mean like rival Tina Turner unleashed. A great performer and lovely person that to me was never "too short, too fat, too black, or too old."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tackhead is a band whose members have played with some big names- Living Colour, NIN to name a couple- but with killer tracks under their own name. This is the song that exposed them to me:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprosy was an offshoot of The Beatnigs, featuring Michael Franti. This was the first song released off of their debut album:

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Dynamic Syncopation “The Plan”

Unfortunately, this is NOT the album version. It’s a remix that, AFAIK, only exists in video form.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The 1980s & 1990s exploded with rap bands going in all kinds of directions. One big trend was sampling jazz instead of/addition to go-to genres like Blues, R&B, and Funk

Souls of Mischief

A Tribe Called Quest

Arrested Development

Diggable Planets

De La Soul

Last edited:

Remove ads