• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[PbP] The Rising of a God

Sullaf

First Post
"But of course you may. I reckon you are thirsty: the last time I checked TJ over here was buying the drinks" Grishan says while grinning even more. There are people who'd rather face creatures from the abyss then face Grishan grinning...

Grishan waits until there is plenty of beer, before he continues. "Now that we are all good friends, let's get down to business." Once again Grishan signals you all to get closer, so not to be disturbed. "The Cult of the Fire Brothers should be located somewhere in the North regions of the Everlasting Desert. There are not many cities or villages, so be prepared to stay outdoors alot. And it goes without saying that the desert is pretty much a dry piece of wasteland: bring enough water. You are no use to me dead, so try to stay alive. There are numerous tribes and nomads out there. Some are brutal savages... some are even more brutal savages."

He smiles at his own joke and takes another sip of his ale. Although Grishan is pretty thin, he seems to have an endless thirst. He looks up when two townsmen enter the inn. Apparently he knows them because he waves at them in a typical manner. Not the normal kind of greeting. Instead it is an intricate display of nonverbal communication. Both men smile, and then go out the door again, leaving the inn pretty much abandoned again, except for some regulars and the bartender.

"There are reports of numerous orcish tribes. Although we as a city do not have a quarrel with the orcs, they could attack you just the same. Something about their nature I guess. Be prepared for that. I do not expect to see you all again soon. The voyage should take some time, and finding the ruins could take weeks, but I do have a timetable to keep. I expect to see you again at least before next Lowsummer. As it is Highsummer now, you should have about a year, which is plenty of time..."

He finishes his ale and looks at TJ expectedly, while handing him the empty mug. He continues "You will receive the map of the region tomorrow, the usual way. You should know by now I never have such objects on me. It would be to easy for those who would like to make a profit at my expense. Although it is not the most accurate map, it should give you a good lead to start from. The map is unique, so I would appreciate it if you did NOT lose it. Dweldan here is a pretty good outdoors man. He should be able to work with the little information we have at the moment. Please feel free to do as much investigation as necessary. Just make sure to be back on time. I have never failed to 'deliver'. This will not be an exception, I'll guarantee you THAT."

"Now let us toast to a save journey and a quick return. But wait... I seem to be out of ale already. TJ could you fill my mug again, so we can toast properly?"

Last edited:

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
"I thank you for the refreshments. I was wondering, could you all introduce yourself to me? Tell me something of your skills and possibly your personal goals. As you might have guessed from my previous description, I am a tracker, a wilderness warrior. Some would say a ranger. I hope one of you is a cleric. I am aware that some clerics can create water, which would greatly help our expedition."

Deepwinter 7

First Post
My name, dear Ranger is Argos. As you might have guessed from my outfit and lack of weapons or holy items, I am a spellcaster.

I am one of the courtmages of Shadowdale, sent on a five-year so called outternship in the wilds of Faerun. I have travelled this land with these two friends, one a mighty barbarian and one indeed a cleric for the past few months now. If all goes well and we manage to survive I might once take my place besides the Dukes of Shadowdale [wild guess] as a real Archmage

Your skills seem like a nice addition to our party, many a time we have been a little lost in the woods and on open terrain.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Obviously somewhat upset: "Ah... the duke of Shadowdale. Friendly fellow is he not? So, I am guessing you, master dwarf, are the cleric? That I say because I see the warhammer, the favoured weapon for clerics of Moradin." quickly turning towards the Half Orc, smiling again: "That means that you must be the barbarian, a mighty berserker using the boiling emotion inherent to your orcish blood to slay your enemies with great fervor. Am I right?"

If any of you look at his hands, on which he wears fine leather riding gloves, he quickly replies "Oh, yes, I have awfully scarred hands... it doesn't make for a very pretty sight, so I usually keep these on."

Last edited:

Ilan

First Post
A little louder than is meant I reply to the outdoorsman:
"A cleric, HAH. I know not of such a thing. This hammer is one for FORGING and POUNDING. It is used to destroy my enemies. There has not been an enemy yet that wasn't battered by my MIGHTY HAM...." Then suddenly distracted cause he sees the bartender walk by. "Some more of your ALE, my fine man. AND NOT THOSE TINY PORTIONS YOU HAVE BEEN POURING ALL EVENING." And I let out a bellowing laugh.

Then realizing you are looking at me: "So Dweldan was it, HAH, a FINE NAME indeed. Let's drink to our NEW COMPANION."

"MORE ALE OVER HERE"

Sullaf

First Post
"Although you have keen senses Dweldan, you are mistaken. Can't really blame you. They ARE a bit of an odd bunch."

Grishan, openly relaxes, and his somewhat tense look, seems to lose some of it's edge. Still he remains alert as is noticed by the way he quickly looks around, once every other minute. You come to the realization that although this man, despite his appearance, has great influence, and more important wealth, but must always be on the ready. Even here, among his employees, he does not sit fully at ease. He folds his hands together and smiles.

"I love it when a plan comes together. This will be most rewarding. If you can pull of this mission successfully, I may be able to get some more lucrative deals. Although you are earning a good living now, I do realize you have to make quit some expenses. We will negotiate a new fee when the four of you return. Just a reminder: as soon as you leave this city, you have never heard of me nor any of my employers. Never can be too careful now can you.

Last edited:

takew

First Post
Well Dweldan, as every cleric should do, I myself am a proud displayer of my god’s symbol. Maybe you hadn’t noticed it, but this circle on my fullplate, and the line with a curve above it… That my friend is Fharlanghn… God of roads. He protects the travellers of this country. Like me and you. And please, don’t be so shallow by guessing that a large, strong half-orc is a Barbarian when my little friend here is the one that masters the ability to… freak out if I may say so. And he gives Gurd a friendly smile. And he gives Gurd a friendly smile. And Gurd is right… More ale over here please. And don’t be cheap with the amount of it.

Last edited:

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
"My sincere apologies that I did not take notice of your holy symbol earlier. I am afraid my view of it was blocked by the large mugs of ale. But I myself regularly say prayers to Fharlangh, though truth be told Ehlonna, the mistress of the woods, receives most of my attention. A toast to the journey ahead of us!"

(If this is the alst of the tavern posts: Dweldan drinks rather large quantities of water before going to bed. Being dehydrated in the desert is not a good idea.)

Remove ads