Pendragon d20?

aramis erak

Legend
Has anyone done a (unofficial) d20 conversion of Pendragon? Just curious. If anyone has, I'd like to know what approach they took.

For that matter, does anyone PLAY Pendragon these days?
Not that I've seen, and for all that's holy, I hope no one encourages Chaosium to do such a travesty.

That said, there are good Arthurian adaptations of d20... Avalanche Press' I, Mordred being the one to pop to mind. Add that to the Wizards 3E book on fortifications...

There is a simplified d20 derivative game, Romance of the Perilous Kingdom, which shows 3.x origins, but is simplified a good bit. Like Pendragon, it's got a strong timeline. It sets the era of Arthur pre-Roman Britain, rather than post-Roman.

I really cannot understand why one would favor d20 (eg D&D 3.x) over Pendragon for the setting... but I admit peoples tastes vary, and I don't understand a lot of the appeal of certain games. (I consider 5E good enough to play, but not good enough to be my primary system. I quit 3.x because I came to hate it as a ruleset...)

aramis erak

Legend
Probably, but working up background skill charts for each nation could be a bit of work. And a lot of Pendragon's interesting notions don't carry over too well to Conan -- families, Winter Phase, courtly amor, etc.
Not really... the problem is that Pendragon only gives those for the gentry and nobles, save in 4th ed - where we get peasants from all cultures as a singular set.

Cultural trait mods: total of ±6.
Skills and combat skills:
Sums​
Source​
1’s​
2’s​
3’s​
4’s​
5’s​
6’s​
7’s​
8’s​
9’s​
10’s​
11’s​
12’s​
13’s​
14’s​
15’s​
Min​
46​
0​
0​
4​
1​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
Mean​
85.9​
2.16​
2.2​
11.03​
5.43​
1.7​
3.43​
0.17​
0.33​
0.13​
0​
1.57​
0​
0.03​
0.03​
0.03​
0​
Mode​
86​
0​
1​
13​
6​
2​
2​
0​
0​
0​
0​
2​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
Max​
107​
14​
9​
18​
12​
8​
7​
2​
1​
2​
0​
3​
0​
1​
1​
1​
0​

As you can see, the data indicates a LOT of variability. Note that I grabbed from my cheat sheets, consolidating what I have of 4th ed, excepting Saxons! and Land of Giants. 46 is an error due to not annotating the saxon specific weapons skills. 56 should be the minimum.
This excludes the casters, too.

Bagpuss

Legend
Good point. I guess the main thing I wanted to get my hands on was a money conversion (which I haven't been able to do myself), so I can steal the mechanics in "Lordly Domains" for D&D.

I'm guessing if you wanted to do something similar now days (20 years on), you would just used something like Strongholds & Followers and/or Kingdoms and Warfare, which was made for 5th Edition rather than convert, something that wasn't.

And yes still playing Pendragon.

Remove ads