• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Persistent Spell - Abuse?

Patlin

Explorer
Persistent Fly, Swift (8th level)
Persistent Sniper's Shot (7th level)
Persistent Golem Strike (7th level)

I know a lot of people thought that the spell slot used for a persistent spell ought to vary based on the duration of the initial spell, but the official solution was simply to raise it to a +6 slot metamagic feat. Originally, I believe it was +4. As I recall, Divine Favor was a particularly sore point where this feat was concerned, as it lasted only 1 minute.

However, at the same time they've introduced a variety of swift spells, balanced mostly by being of extremely short duration (all of the examples last one round) and personal effect... which would allow Fly, Swift to be made Persistent while Fly itself could not, and at a lower level than fly would be as a persistent spell if even elligible.

The latter two offer a possible out, if you are inclined to take it, in that they repeat the duration in the body of the text. One could (possibly in an over technical, semantic way) interpret this to be a discharge condition. Fly, Swift doesn't have this language.

I guess my question boils down to this: Too good to be true? Or does the amount of power expended by way of high level spell slots balance the utility of making these otherwise short spells last all day?

beaver1024

First Post
For a wizard or sorcerer, would you rather have Persistent Fly, Swift or Polymorph Any Object prepared? Would rather have Persistent Sniper Shot or Limited Wish?

For a straight wizard or sorcerer the Persistent Spell metamagic feat is rubbish.

Patlin

Explorer
Well, obviously a straight wizard or sorceror would have no use for sniper shot or golem strike in the first place. Those are much more usefull to an arcane trickster. Of course, for the character I have in mind the 8th level spell slots will be his very highest spell slots available at 20th level, so I take your point.

There is something very attractive in the idea of being able to fly all day long, though...

Jack Simth

First Post
Like most metamagic feats, more useful for a Sorceror than a Wizard....

Sure, that Persistent Shield is only +4 AC for a 7th level spell slot.... but the 14th level Sorceror has three or four slots at that level, and only one full spell to put in them (although Heightened/Metamagiced spells can fit there quite well....) and it saves a round for buffing once combat starts....

Now, the preparatory Wizard with access to several spells of his highest level has a much harder choice.... does he want a Magnificient Mansion, a ForceCage, a Greater Teleport, or a metamagiced spell in that slot?

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I've always like the idea of a Persistent Acid Arrow. Take 2d4 points of damage every round all day. THAT'S something you'd have to have taken care of. ;)

Thanee

First Post
Patlin said:
There is something very attractive in the idea of being able to fly all day long, though...

5th level... Overland Flight
6th level... extended Overland Flight

Broken... persistent Wraithstrike ;)

Bye
Thanee

Patlin

Explorer
Thanee said:
5th level... Overland Flight
6th level... extended Overland Flight

That does rather take the thrill out of it. Level 5 spell for 20 hours at level 20, level 6 for 40 hours, or level 8 for 24. I guess the only advantage to the level 8 version is that you fly 50% faster in tactical movement. I'd have to say I'd rather use the level 5 version... or maybe even ride a phantom steed instead.

Thanee said:
Broken... persistent Wraithstrike ;)

I had considered Wraithstrike, but it's actually less usefull to my character than the other spells I listed. Almost all of my attacks are ranged touch attacks anyway. I'd like to try Persistant Wraithstrike together with Thunderlance, though...

shilsen

Adventurer
Patlin said:
That does rather take the thrill out of it. Level 5 spell for 20 hours at level 20, level 6 for 40 hours, or level 8 for 24. I guess the only advantage to the level 8 version is that you fly 50% faster in tactical movement. I'd have to say I'd rather use the level 5 version... or maybe even ride a phantom steed instead.

One more advantage to the 8th level version is that you can hover with it (since your maneuverability is good). Your maneuverability with Overland Flight is average, so you can't hover and if you move less than half your speed every round, you stall and fall.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
There really isn't much in the way of middle ground with persistent spell. Nearly every option is useless (persistent prestidigitation) or hideously broken (persistent wraithstrike--and if your DM is silly enough to allow this get a greater ring of spellstoring so you can give it to the fighters :)

Patlin

Explorer
We do have an established house rule that self only spells can't be placed into a ring of spell storing, which prevents that particular abuse and many others.

I guess I'll talk with my DM about it next time we play. I've got some custom metamagic feats I could propose as an alternative that would be interesting for my character, and which I think will not suffer from this useless to broken divide you mention.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads