• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

personal spells as touch

Mystern

First Post
is there a metamagic feat that allows personal spells to be cast as touch spells. if not, what would the increase in level for this feat?

darthkilmor

First Post
Mystern said:
is there a metamagic feat that allows personal spells to be cast as touch spells. if not, what would the increase in level for this feat?

As a more generic "increase the range of a spell by one step, personal -> touch -> ranged touch or close -> medium -> long", i'd guesstimate +1 or +2 levels ?

green slime

First Post
Exactly. Some personal spells are powerful precisely because they are limited to wimpy arcane spellcasters.

Once you start granting them to anyone, you are going to see some serious damage occuring.

I'd hazard a guess at between +2 to +3, personally.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Shape D. said:
The attune Gem, and Brew Potion Feats are good ways around this.
The person using said item is the caster......

The Brew Potion feat is a very bad way around this. Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions.

CREATING POTIONS
The creator of a potion needs a level working surface and at least a few containers in which to mix liquids, as well as a source of heat to boil the brew. In addition, he needs ingredients. The costs for materials and ingredients are subsumed in the cost for brewing the potion—25 gp x the level of the spell x the level of the caster. All ingredients and materials used to brew a potion must be fresh and unused. The character must pay the full cost for brewing each potion. (Economies of scale do not apply.)

The imbiber of the potion is both the caster and the target. Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions.

The creator must have prepared the spell to be placed in the potion (or must know the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) and must provide any material component or focus the spell requires.

If casting the spell would reduce the caster’s XP total, he pays the XP cost upon beginning the brew in addition to the XP cost for making the potion itself. Material components are consumed when he begins working, but a focus is not. (A focus used in brewing a potion can be reused.) The act of brewing triggers the prepared spell, making it unavailable for casting until the character has rested and regained spells. (That is, that spell slot is expended from his currently prepared spells, just as if it had been cast.)

Brewing a potion requires one day.

Item Creation Feat Required: Brew Potion.

-Hyp.

Jhaelen

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
The Brew Potion feat is a very bad way around this. Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions.
True. However personal powers can be made into psionic tattoos at double the normal cost.

If you are using the spell conversion rules from 'Secrets of Sarlona' you can dodge the restrictions of the Brew Potion quite nicely - not that I'd recommend it. Speaking of Eberron:
I could imagine artificers might be able to pull off something similar but I am not an expert on this.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Spell storing ring is the easiest way core. And those are not cheap. They don't let you do a swift action spell either.

I wouldn't allow a metamagic feat to do this without careful consideration. Do you really want to let your frenzied berserker have wraithstrike?

Last edited:

Shape D.

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

-Hyp.
By Good way around it I meant it won't work.........
ok no, I was not aware of the "personal" target restriction.

I know the attune gem feat is only Arcane spells, But I don't know if this has a similar restriction or not though. Although I thought this was more scroll like and holds any spell...... (my MoF book is MIA so I can't check currently.)

akbearfoot

First Post
I would say minimum of +3 levels....maybe even +4.

This is an easy way to break the magic system....a lot of spells are extra powerful but balanced by the fact that the guy who is casting it is squishy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads