D&D 5E PHB Feats taken - RESULTS

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Okay let me break it in half which would look like the following :
+1 Attribute == +1 Skill Proficiency == +1 Tool Proficiency == 2 Weapon Proficiencies == 2 Armor Proficiencies

So why 2 Weapon and/or 2 Armor well frankly you can generally only use 1 at a time someone is not going to wear both Light armor and Medium Armor -- okay Shields are an anomaly when it comes to the Armor category but it is 1 out of 4 so we go with the majority and call it a day. However if you look at the Armor progression it mostly goes like this -- Light + Medium then Shield + Heavy --- and if they halfsies you get Light (0.5) or Light, Medium, Shield (1.5)

Say there was a feat that gave you +10 AC but slow your movement by 10'. People would say that it wasn't balanced against the other feats. For a 10 Dex Wizard or Sorcerer, picking up heavy armor + shield would give you exactly that - 10 points of AC at the cost of 10' of movement. (Hmm, could get 11 AC if you only had an 8 DEX.)

I understand where your generalizations are in levels, but 4 levels of armor proficiency is automatically full + shield for even those who start without, and that's a huge jump in AC. Enough that it wouldn't be okay if you wrote it up as a feat.

In other words, it seems you're saying that each step is reasonable, and I'm replying that the final result is not.

Yaarel

He Mage
I really can't grok a comment that "Wizards fail to synergize with high HPs" and more HPs would not be a boon to the character.

All full casters, except the Wizard, have decent hit points. Having decent hit points is not a big deal.

The only reason the Wizard lacks hit points is *tradition*. It is for flavor.

If a Wizard gets more hit points. It is nice but hardly notable.

On the other hand, if the Wizard has a feat to spend, there are better things for the Wizard to spend it on, than to waste it on extra hit points.

So.

If a Wizard player wants to spend a feat on extra hit points. Enjoy! No big deal.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Well if you look closely at the various classes and the various backgrounds and the various Feats I think you will find that they are indeed considered equal.

I have. Many, many times. From the playtests to now. And I disagree with your assessment. It's simplistic and fails to account for weighting of some things much more than others.

What then would they be equivalent to Skill Proficiency from your view point. So far the only reason you have stated they are not worth as much is because you can learn them in game and that in and of itself does not necessarily ring true. So remove it from the equation and see what you get, because frankly if you wanted to you could do the same thing for Skills and I think you can already do the same thing with languages.

You can't learn skills for, essentially, almost nothing. Unlike languages and tools.

Horwath

Legend
There needs to be combat feat category and "other feats" category.

I.E. at level 1,5,9,13,17,20, you can get bonus feat(all UA skill/race feats) and all PHB feats except:

Greatweapon master, polearm master, sharpshooter, crossbow expert, spell sniper, resilient, lucky, heavy armor master, tough,

Frankie1969

Adventurer
Leaving out the issue of armor, here's some small bump ups for the less loved feats:

Healer: You gain Medicine skill proficiency.

Inspiring Leader: You can use the Help action to grant a creature who can hear you advantage on their saving throw to end an ongoing effect next turn.

Mage Slayer: You gain Arcana skill proficiency.

Observant: You gain advantage on active Perception checks.

Spell Sniper: You do not have disadvantage on ranged attack rolls while prone.

Actor: You gain proficiency with either Perform skill or disguise kit.

Athlete: You gain Athletics skill proficiency, or Acrobatics if you already have Athletics.

Charger: While you do this, creatures have disadvantage on opportunity attacks against you.

Defensive Duelist: Increase your Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20.

Dungeon Delver: You gain proficiency with either Survival skill or thieves tools.

Durable: When you gain a level, you have advantage on the Hit Die roll to increase your hit point maximum.

Grappler and Tavern Brawler: (combine into a single feat named Brawler)

Linguist: You gain proficiency with either History skill or forgery kit.

Martial Adept: If you get superiority dice from another source, you gain one more; otherwise, you have three superiority dice, which are d6. (change singulars to plurals in rest of paragraph)

Medium Armor Master: Increase your Strength score by 1, to a maximum of 20.

Mounted Combatant: You gain Animal Handling skill proficiency.

Ritual Caster: You gain proficiency with either Arcana skill or herbalism kit.

Savage Attacker: Increase your Strength score by 1, to a maximum of 20.

Sklled: You gain proficiency in any combination of four skills or tools of your choice.

Weapon Master: You gain proficiency with simple and martial weapons.

JesterOC

Explorer
Dual Wielder (8) - given the parity (or lack thereof) of this feat with +2 Dexterity, I feel it demonstrates that people like to take feats that support their character concept.

The times when my players used Dual Wielder was when Human and first level using the human variant. To get a feat instead of +1's to all stats.

Makes it pretty useful in the early life of an adventurer.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Leaving out the issue of armor, here's some small bump ups for the less loved feats:
This thread could interest you - http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?583968-Complete-Revision-of-PHB-Feats-(wiki-thread). Interesting suggestions, here are my first intuitions -

Healer: You gain Medicine skill proficiency.
not needed, Healer is strong enough

Inspiring Leader: You can use the Help action to grant a creature who can hear you advantage on their saving throw to end an ongoing effect next turn.
interesting, could allow Inspiring Leader to move into Whole ASI Feats (see the Complete Revision)

Mage Slayer: You gain Arcana skill proficiency.
Could be better just to give a half ASI

Observant: You gain advantage on active Perception checks.
check my thoughts about merging with Dungeon Delver and adding half ASI

Spell Sniper: You do not have disadvantage on ranged attack rolls while prone.
or add a half ASI?

Actor: You gain proficiency with either Perform skill or disguise kit.
hopeless feat, better to merge - see Spycraft in Revision

Athlete: You gain Athletics skill proficiency, or Acrobatics if you already have Athletics.
ditto, could be merged to Skulker

Charger: While you do this, creatures have disadvantage on opportunity attacks against you.
ditto, suggest merge with Mounted Combatant

Defensive Duelist: Increase your Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
snap

Dungeon Delver: You gain proficiency with either Survival skill or thieves tools.
hopeless feat, should be merged into another

Durable: When you gain a level, you have advantage on the Hit Die roll to increase your hit point maximum.
ditto

Grappler and Tavern Brawler: (combine into a single feat named Brawler)
snap!

Linguist: You gain proficiency with either History skill or forgery kit.
see my suggestion in Revision

Martial Adept: If you get superiority dice from another source, you gain one more; otherwise, you have three superiority dice, which are d6. (change singulars to plurals in rest of paragraph)
3 dice intrudes too much on that pathway

Medium Armor Master: Increase your Strength score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
snapish

Mounted Combatant: You gain Animal Handling skill proficiency.
better to add Charger?

Ritual Caster: You gain proficiency with either Arcana skill or herbalism kit.
strong feat, better with half ASI

Savage Attacker: Increase your Strength score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
hopeless feat, see my suggestion to merge in Duelist

Sklled: You gain proficiency in any combination of four skills or tools of your choice.
this is a "basics" feat, add a half ASI instead?

Weapon Master: You gain proficiency with simple and martial weapons.
ditto

ro

First Post
this is a "basics" feat, add a half ASI instead?

What Skilled really needs is the ability to gain expertise if you already have the proficiency. This makes it less, "I'll pick up a few extra skills that aren't core to my concept." and more, "I'm going to be the best [your skill here] on the planet!"

A +1 wouldn't hurt, either.

DeJoker

First Post
DeJoker said:
So far the only reason you have stated they are not worth as much is because you can learn them in game and that in and of itself does not necessarily ring true. So remove it from the equation and see what you get, because frankly if you wanted to you could do the same thing for Skills.

You can't learn skills for, essentially, almost nothing. Unlike languages and tools.

So in short you have no other reason than you can pick up a Tool Proficiency within the game during downtime and you cannot do that with a Skill as your sole reason for why they do not equate to being equivalent. Instead of restating it with so many words why did you not just say. No I do not. As such your argument holds no water and as such I will at this time simply choose to agree to disagree with you and leave it at that as I am not a proponent of beating my head on a brick wall.

Remove ads