• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Phineas’s Dungeon Maps o’ the Week: Underdark Edition

Arnwyn

First Post
Phineas Crow said:
Also I used a new, lighter "parchment" background, which I'd like to see some feedback on (my printer has ceased to function so I haven't seen what it looks like printed yet).
Looks good to me (printed on a laser printer). But then again, I'm not picky about stuff like that.

XCorvis

First Post
Yay, more maps!

While I prefer the yellow parchment (dark background, light foreground, as opposed to light background and foreground), I don't think you should use a background at all. Most of these maps seem to be DM-oriented, and the DM doesn't need background colors. It just uses more ink and makes the paper more wet and wrinkly (on an inkjet at least).

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Love these maps Phineas - thanks for sharing. A small portion of these will see use in my homebrew - others in my FR and RL games. Again - THANKS!

DM_Fiery_Fist

First Post
I just thought I'd chime in and comment on how excellent these maps are. I'm a novice user of Campaign Cartographer and I am highly, highly impressed by the quality found herein. Very well done! I just now found this thread and I must say, it's one of the most useful resources on the internet for my campaign.

Phineas, I salute you.

Many thanks!

Josh

Phineas Crow

First Post
I used a larger size map this time to keep the cave walls less pixelated, however I had to grayscale the map to meet the board's filesize limits. I've provided two versions, gray and grayer, with little difference between them except ink usage.

Map #111: The Farm Complex of Hr‘uanaaskr

“High Master Graalk of the Ill’ur’h Alchemical Labs has finished testing compound 1014-A and it has proved to be a complete failure. While the cattle that were administered the drug became docile and sedate as predicted, the compound left an undesirable and unforeseen aftertaste in the test subjects. The project staff believe they can overcome this setback, however, until the new drug is ready I recommend continuing the use of compound 1011-H. While a less effective drug, it does not taint the meat with an unpleasant flavor.”

“…the uprising in den 3 has been dealt with swiftly, site workers have been ordered to exterminate and process all remaining cattle in the den. Reports of outside interference have not been confirmed, but should not be discounted. All cattle dens have been sealed and Site Overseer Zol’Senahl has ordered an extensive sweep of the farming complex to locate any possible intruders.”

“Hr’uanaaskr Farming Complex Harvest Report: Due to setbacks and cattle uprisings it is, unfortunately, my humble duty to inform you that Hr’uanaaskr will not be able to fulfill the cattle quota this year by 162 units.”

- Excerpts from a collection of mysterious stone tablets of unknown origin.

Attachments

• phm_111.gif
    phm_111.gif
    214.8 KB · Views: 477
  • phm_111_pfv.gif
    phm_111_pfv.gif
    82.2 KB · Views: 394

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Hey Phineas, I'm LOVING these maps.

As a lark, for my home campaign, I stuck one on my new parchment graphics that I've been working on...

Attachments

• map108-parchment.jpg
    map108-parchment.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 465
  • map108-parchment2.jpg
    map108-parchment2.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 389

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
The farm complex is brilliant - I love the circular rooms and the serpentine corridor in the middle.

And I agree about backgrounds - stick to no background because that way the GM can do as he pleases with it.

If you want to use a background, I'd not include room numbers on the map on the 'parchment', since that would most likely be used as a handout or something

Phineas Crow

First Post
HellHound said:
Hey Phineas, I'm LOVING these maps.

As a lark, for my home campaign, I stuck one on my new parchment graphics that I've been working on...

Those maps look great... you've almost tempted me into getting photoshop. Currently I'm using an antiquated photo-paint which, ever since I've moved to a WinXP system, has lost a majority of its functionality, but after using it for ten years I can't seem to give it up.

XCorvis

First Post
You might want to consider the GIMP. It's a free Photoshop replacement. The learning curve is steeper, but since photoshop is so expensive it may be worth your time.

Sunaj2k3

First Post
Latest map o' the month.....

Phineas,

Any hope we'll be seeing the next installment soon? I always look forward to seeing your new Underdark maps.

Remove ads