Picking Up Dark Sun, what do I need?

Spell

First Post
Melhaic said:
The original sounds better, which is good since most of what I'm finding on eBay ia the original. I didn't even consider the Psionics Handbook, but feel stupid for not doing so. Off for another search...

don't feel stupid. in my opinion, dark sun is the only setting in which psionics were not just an afterthought. if you are a newcomer that knows virtually nothing of the setting, it's excusable! :) :p

Melhaic

First Post
I have the core books, but like players option better. I sort of knew psionics was centrl to Dark Sun, and it one of the reasons I want to do it. Me (and the players) need a break from my homebrew 3.5. I'm definately going for the original boxed set, its just much more evocative.

jeffh

Adventurer
The original boxed set was amazing. I would barely be exaggerating at all if I said it was all downhill from there. Dragon Kings, The Will and The Way and the monster books are the only other things I'd consider getting. And maybe Valley of Dust and Fire, which reveals a fair amount of the original world's mysteries - that setting expansion had a lot of potential and TSR blew it up, in the process completely mangling the whole setting as originally envisioned, within months of that book's release.

If you accidentally come into contact with the revised box set or any of its support products, cleanse the affected area with hydrogen peroxide immediately.

Spell

First Post
Melhaic said:
I have the core books, but like players option better. I sort of knew psionics was centrl to Dark Sun, and it one of the reasons I want to do it. Me (and the players) need a break from my homebrew 3.5. I'm definately going for the original boxed set, its just much more evocative.

there was an article somewhere in dragon which had rules for applying skills and powers to athas... i can't remember the issue, this time, but it should be around 250s-260s?
do you know the Dragon master index? check skills and options on it, i'm sure you'll find it.

ps: in case you don't know it, here's the webpage:

http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/

the article i was referring is in the annual #1, page 93.

oh, man, this index is soooooo good it almost makes me cry... :'(

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
Melhaic said:
I have the core books, but like players option better.
Well, the PO version had just one problem:

It's - psionic - combat - didn't - work - at - all.

It must have been invented by someone who absolutely no clue about mathematics. Attacking someone psionically caused the attacker to lose on average more PSP than the defender. Since the attacks didn't do anything else, being attacked psionically was one of the best things that could happen to you. Ouch!

I eventually developed a homebrew system that put more emphasis on choosing harbingers and mindscapes. Since I had lots of time back then I modified pretty much everything, races, classes, spells, ... good times!

My vote for the best Dark Sun supplement goes to 'City by the Silt Sea'.

Melhaic

First Post
I'm going to get the psionics handbook to un the psionics system: I could tell just by looking that the PO psionic system sucks hard. Now I have to pick up that dragon issue...
Thanks the general community fo the outpouring of geek lore on Athas.

The only thing now it to find 1 or 2 more players. Anyone in the Knoxville area interested in a game of 2e Darksun? (I know there is one guy, mhensly or something thats local)

DemonKing

First Post
Spell said:
there was an article somewhere in dragon which had rules for applying skills and powers to athas... i can't remember the issue, this time, but it should be around 250s-260s?

The Player's Option stuff for Dark Sun can be found in the 1st Dragon Annual edition, I believe.

Unlike a lot of the stuff from revised on they're actually pretty good!

There was also a Dragon article that had kits for Dark Sun characters in it too - I've got it at home somewhere but I can't for the life of me remember the issue number.

Remove ads