• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape 3.5e - Cold Black Mask

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Cage-Rattler said:
The thug glowered sullenly, but offered no resistance. When he spoke, it was as much to himself as it was to anyone else in the room. "Aye, I get it. Primes are torqued off for bein' hipped in the Cage, so they wanna take it out on ol' Gerad." He looked up briefly. "That's me name, 'case you bashers couldn't put one-an'-one together. S'fore why me and my mates came here; well, 'cause we was told to. Shadow 'em primes, mark where they go an' who they see; that's what we're told ta do. Supposed to wait for a signal before we made a move, but we didn't hear from that soddin' imp in a turn or so and me mates weren't twiggin' to the idea of just bangin' 'round, so we busted in here." He spat on the the floor. "I knew this rig was for the Mazes, I did."
"And this imp, what was he called and where did he find you Gerad? And how much was it worth to him to shadow some Primes?" Pierce asks, her tone changing not a whit.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
"And did you know why it was that they wanted us?" Heinrich's face is closed and forbidding as he glares at the man. (OOCly aiding Pierce if I can, +4 intimidate check).

Scurry

First Post
[sblock=Cage-Rattler]
Vervain awakens eagerly, but takes a moment to smooth the traces of hope from his expression before arising and following the preternatural guidance to the shattered door of the Slumbering Lamb Inn. Faintly nonplussed, he surveys the scene - proprietor nowhere to be found, damaged furniture, and traumatized-looking patrons. These he approaches, and asks, "Pardon, but I just received word a friend of mine was involved in an altercation here." He looks about the abandoned inn. "Could you tell me where they went?"
OOC: Bluff +17, Diplomacy +8[/sblock]

Cage-Rattler

First Post
ooc: A power-hiccup caused me to lose the rest of my post; I'll put this part up now, and re-write the rest in a few hours. :b
István Angushtri:[sblock] The battle in the street raged on. Knocked off balance by the reave's last blow, István's rapier flashed wide of its mark. (Natural 1 misses.) Again wary of the inevitable counter-attack, the gnome twisted and rolled his body into a bewildering display of acrobatics, hoping to throw off his opponent's aim. (István's Tumble 32. The dice hate in you in combat, but love your skills. :heh: )

Unable to follow the gnome's erratic movements, the brute's attack was nowhere near its mark. István took advantage of his opponent's uncertainty and suddenly darted forward, his blade once again crashing hard on plate. (Reave misses; István's AoO hits AC 26; 5 damage before DR.)
István = 13 VP/ 12 WP
Reave = Fighting Desperately
[/sblock]

Cage-Rattler

First Post
OOC:[sblock] Hmm, looks like I'll have to do this in stages. I'll finish a post for the rest of you when I get home from work. :)[/sblock]
=======================================

Pierce Spinecrusher said:
"And this imp, what was he called and where did he find you Gerad? And how much was it worth to him to shadow some Primes?"
Heinrich Stronghand said:
"And did you know why it was that they wanted us?"

"I don't know anythin' 'bout that imp; just that he was supposed to give us the signal that we were waitin' for. I figured he was just playin' 'astral streaker' for the Dogs; even the most gleamin' pip knows that those knights keep kip with the fiends." for a moment, a sly expression crossed his eyes as he looked to ply a new angle. "Oi, I'd bet my last green that the Black Dogs would have all the chant. You let me do the bolt an' give the Hardheads the laugh before they get here, and I'll spill the dark of how to find 'em."

Ambrus

Explorer
[sblock=Cage-Rattler]OOC: Then save those great rolls for combat! With a tumble DC of 15 and a tumble check of +15 István can't really fail normally anyways. ;)
I can't tell whether the reave is continuing to charge or not before attacking in your last post.

His head clearing, István quickly plants his feet, waits for the brute to charge forward and then deftly thrusts upwards, attempting to drive the tip of his crystal shard through the visor's wide eye-slit, hoping to strike one of the four eyes concealed beneath (Melee rapier +11, 1d4-1 +1d6, as a skirmish attack). Continuing his evasive movements, the harrier nimbly hops back a half-dozen paces out of reach following his attack. (move-action to tumble [Tumble +15] 10-ft. away from the reave).[/sblock]

Cage-Rattler

First Post
István Angushtri:[sblock] ooc: The Reave is closing the 10-foot gap normally, without charging. István thrusts forward with his rapier, and this time is rewarded as the tip of his blade slips through the heavy helm's visor and comes away dark and wet. A piercing howl of pain ripped through the night air as the reave stumbled back a few steps. (Natural 18+11 threatens; 13+11 confirms critical; 6 WP damage, no DR. Ask and ye shall receive, I guess. ;) )

Shaking his head in an attempt to dull the pain, the brute lashes out with his fists again, but his aim is wide of the mark. (Reave succeeds wound-based Fort save; Reave misses with his attack.)
István = 13 VP/ 12 WP
Reave = Fighting Desperately, Severely Wounded
[/sblock]

Mirana:[sblock] Mirana didn't know exactly what to expect when she decided to tail the trio of cross-trading toughs halfway across the Hive and into the Clerk's Ward, but it was a sure bet that something sinister afoot; one of her marks -- a rodent-faced, wiry man -- was a low-level enforcer for the Dogs, and his companion wore his clothes in a style favored by the Hellteeth gang. The third member of the group -- a hulking, four armed Reave -- was a bit of a wild card; she wasn't sure what to make of him.

Mirana shadowed the trio to a small warehouse on the boundary of the Clerk / Hive border, but didn't dare enter. All was still for quite some time, and the fey-touched was tempted to give up on the evening's spying.
She hadn't moved far when a sudden ruckus rang out through the night air. Following her ears, Mirana came across what seemed to be an ill-planned raid on the nearby Slumbering Lamb boarding house. As she watched, an older tiefling woman slipped through the shattered entryway and ran down the cobbled streets as fast as her legs could carry her, calling for the Harmonium as she went. From within the confines of the inn, the sounds of battle receded.

Mirana didn't doubt that the area would be swarming with Hardheads soon, and as she contemplated making herself scarce, fresh sounds of commotion carried over from a few streets over. Cautiously investigating, she managed to spot the reave she had been following earlier, locked in mortal combat with an impossibly-acrobatic gnome wrapped in heavy cloths. Sparks born from the gnome's rapier striking the reave's armor sporatically illuminated the fight, and both combatants seemed to be at an impasse; the thin blade of the rapier unable to pierce thick metal armor; the reave unable to land a solid blow on the darting gnome with his fists.

The reave suddenly howled as the gnome's blade finally found a chink in the brute's armor, but he remained on his feet. The gnome, too, was showing the toll of being battered by the reave's punches. As things stood, it was still anyone's fight.[/sblock]

Vervain: The shell-shocked patron of the boarding house blinked once at the boldly-dressed gentleman standing before him, then wordlessly pointed across the expanse of the common room, toward the simple wooden staircase leading to the second floor.

Anthony Orchidaceae said:
"What's he gonna do with 'reinforcements'?
"Hopefully, nothing," Dinah replied uncertainly. "Things'll go from bad to worse if this gets any bigger than it already is."

Anthony Orchidaceae said:
"Well, I suppose we'll just need to wait for him."
"Aye, but you can go back to sleep if you want, Tony. I'll keep an eye out for him."

---------------------------------

Nearly an hour had passed when Kalel returned, as promised. He seemed satisfied as he approached Anthony and Dinah; Lily, who had been wide-awake since the disturbance, edged in closer to catch his words, as well.

"I don't think the Dog'sll be showing their faces around here for a while, at least," the bariaur began. "A few of my bloods set up kip close by; they know those cross-traders better than anybody. They'll help us keep an eye on things."

Dire Lemming

First Post
Anthony smiles, scratches the back of his head, and yawns.

"Well, that's some chant I can twig to. Just don't go doin' anythin' risky on my account. If your bloods need somethin' I can help with, just let me know alright?" He yawns again and glances back at his bed. "But for now, what do you say to us all gettin' some sleep?"

Ambrus

Explorer
[sblock=Cage-Rattler]OOC: Now that's what I'm talking about! Now I just need a few more hits like that... please. :heh:

The harrier quickly whips his crystal shard to the side to shake the brute's blood off before raising the weapon into a guard position once more. Once the reave moves forward to swing at István, the gnome ducks beneath the brute's swing and deftly rises to strike upwards between his cuisse and codpiece plates (Melee rapier +11, 1d4-1 +1d6, as a skirmish attack). Continuing his evasive movements, the harrier nimbly hops back a half-dozen paces out of reach following his attack. (move-action to tumble [Tumble +15] 10-ft. away from the reave).[/sblock]

Remove ads