Planescape: Tale of the Clueless ~OOC

Ambrus

Explorer
It's an interesting idea; it might be fun to try developing it somehow to try explaining how the information is collected, how it's amassed and how adepts access it. Although dragons could possibly have personally amassed a great deal of historical and eldritch knowledge throughout history, it seems unlike that they could have visited all these locales personally, even if traveling in alternate forms. To have information on every locale in the multiverse, including current news, would be unlikely I think. My guess is that the collective knowledge extends beyond that of only dragons but also includes that of their dragon-blooded descendants as well. Perhaps this points to the existence of a universal dragon God-mind; possibly that's Io's true nature...

Then again, perhaps the knowledge doesn't originate with dragons at all, but is just more easily accessible to them. Perhaps there is some universal omniscient font of knowledge which all divinatory magics use as their source. Possibly dragons and their kin, being creatures of magic themselves, are simply better able to tap into this wellspring of wisdom.

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
Ambrus said:
Perhaps there is some universal omniscient font of knowledge which all divinatory magics use as their source. Possibly dragons and their kin, being creatures of magic themselves, are simply better able to tap into this wellspring of wisdom.

change that to a physical (sic: location) font of knowledge and it will fit perfetly with something i have in mind for the future :)

Ambrus

Explorer
For a location, the fabled Well of Urd at the base of Yggdrasil would be a literal font of wisdom. Supposedly one of the world tree's roots reaches into it. Interestingly, the dragon Níðhöggr is said to gnaw on the world trees roots none too far from the well. ;)

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
Just some wuestions, to see what yo uguys like/dislike:
  • Which planes (outer/inner/transitive) are your favourate, and why
  • Which planes (outer/inner/transitive) are your least favourate, and why
  • Which are your favourate planar creatures (not necessarily outsdier) as an enemy
  • Which are your favourate planer creatures (not necessarily outsider) as an ally
  • Which are your least favourate planar creatures (not neccesarily outsider), that you do not want to meet!

I just want to know, though i do like to send my characters places the player like to go. No point going to the demiplane of cheese if no one likes the idea :)

Ambrus

Explorer
Nalfeshnee said:
Which planes (outer/inner/transitive) are your favourate, and why
Uh... the Outlands / Air / Astral because they're individually: diverse / hospitable / has giant floating dead god husks. :)
Nalfeshnee said:
Which planes (outer/inner/transitive) are your least favourate, and why
Arcadia / Fire / Ethereal because they're individually: Silly and boring / not much more than just hot and fiery / a big empty fog :)
Nalfeshnee said:
Which are your favourate planar creatures (not necessarily outsider) as an enemy
I don't really care much for fiends and demons; there are just too many different kinds to keep track of and aside from being completely and utterly evil and malicious, they're fairly one-dimensional and uninteresting IMHO. Anything played well and that is interesting but that has limits to its power is good I think.
Nalfeshnee said:
Which are your favourate planer creatures (not necessarily outsider) as an ally
Pretty much anything that tries to help me is good. I like modrons (go figure) though I don't know if I'd care to have them as allies. Dabus are interesting. I think petitioners are underrated; the dead should have a bigger part to play out here.
Nalfeshnee said:
Which are your least favourate planar creatures (not necessarily outsider), that you do not want to meet!
Pretty much anything that tries to kill me and has a good chance of succeeding. ;) I can't say that I've ever jumped onto the 'I love Gith' bandwagon. I don't know why githyanki are such a big deal; anti-social humans with pointy teeth and big swords... So?

All that being said, I've never really gotten to play Planescape, so my biases reflect more my impressions of locales and creatures as a DM and my level of interest in running such things. I'm certain that a creative DM could make even the things I don't care for exiciting and interesting if given the chance. :)

Last edited:

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
very interesting. i find some of your replies contradictory (sort of). Like you likeing Air, but not the Ethereal - they are very similar! Both largley empty :)

Ambrus

Explorer
Nalfeshnee, I've been mulling over some build ideas for Vor. At the moment I think that a dragonborn kobold fire adept is still in the cards, though I'm uncertain about the wings issue. Ideally I'd like to take the draconic flight lesser invocation to get his wing at sixth level, but in the meantime I'd feel silly if Vor didn't have wings. A dragon without wings is just a big lizard really. Would you allow me to take the dragon wings feat now and keep it until 6th level and then swap it out for something useful once he can fly?

If not that's okay, I'll just rethink my build strategy. :)

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Which planes (outer/inner/transitive) are your favourate, and why
I like the elemental/paraelemental/quai-elemental planes (so the fact that we're on the plane of air is aces). I like 'em because of their delightful theme of creatures, and their infiniate vareities and variations of a single element. They're cool.
Which planes (outer/inner/transitive) are your least favourate, and why
The Nine Hells and the Abyss, mostly because if you go there you stand a good chance of being eaten by the wildlife or captured, tortued, and eaten by the inhabitants.
Which are your favourate planar creatures (not necessarily outsdier) as an enemy
I like the rakshasa as an enemy, oh and clever vampires. Evil elementals, omnielementals (MMIII pg. 118), or a rukarazyll (MMII pg. 181)
Which are your favourate planer creatures (not necessarily outsider) as an ally
I like the senmurv (FF pg. 149) for perhaps no other reason that its appearance (it's a friendly, flying, rainbow wolfie!). I like the sylph (MMII pg. 192), because it's a lovely powerful spellcasting ally.
Which are your least favourate planar creatures (not neccesarily outsider), that you do not want to meet!
Most demons and devils, because they're unrepentantly evil sobs that will take delight in killing you, either quickly or horribly slowly

Remove ads