• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Player's Handbook Alpha *Spoilers*

Halivar

First Post
While I don't think it has gotten to the point (at least on this forum, who knows about other ones) that it needs to be addressed by them yet, if there does become a larger outcry it would be intelligent to get out in front of it and answer some questions in a public forum to prevent the outcry from snowballing and possibly hampering sales.
In the grand scheme of things, this thread ain't gonna hamper sales one iota.

Halivar

First Post
Quite right, but if the Alpha PHB continues to spread, it might (or might not!).
I got friends who are cheap and unethical, so they will likely be a lost sale now that the alpha is out. I'm not even going to look at it because it's (1) wrong and (2) of indeterminate accuracy.

pkt77242

Explorer
In the grand scheme of things, this thread ain't gonna hamper sales one iota.

As it stands right now you are correct, but in this day and age with how fast information spreads it could become a problem for them (not this thread in particular but the leak of the "alpha" copy of the PHB and if it turns people off from the game that might have been interested). Now it most likely won't reach that point but a smart company pays attention to things like that because you never want to be caught with your pants down saying "what I didn't think that was a big deal".

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
While I don't think it has gotten to the point (at least on this forum, who knows about other ones) that it needs to be addressed by them yet, if there does become a larger outcry it would be intelligent to get out in front of it and answer some questions in a public forum to prevent the outcry from snowballing and possibly hampering sales.

Yeah... that's a good idea. Wait a couple weeks and then PR can answer all the questions people have with a simple "The actual book goes on sale NEXT WEEK. Why not loosen your sphincters a little bit and then take a look at the real rules in a few days rather than get yourselves all work up over crap outdated ones?"

pkt77242

Explorer
Yeah... that's a good idea. Wait a couple weeks and then PR can answer all the questions people have with a simple "The actual book goes on sale NEXT WEEK. Why not loosen your sphincters a little bit and then take a look at the real rules in a few days rather than get yourselves all work up over crap outdated ones?"

It does not go on sale next week. Even the early release stores wouldn't be having it till August 8th which is about 2.5 weeks away and Amazon won't release it till August 19th which is about 4 weeks away. Nice try.

Agamon

Adventurer
Am I the only one that doesn't want to touch this thing with a 10-foot pole? I already have issues separating rules between my 5e, 4e and PF games, not to mention the difference between the playtest rules and the Basic...I think I'll just wait for the PH. The cherry on the top is that I'll be less prone to bouts of hyperbole.

variant

Adventurer

These people complaining are probably the same ones that complained about the final playtests, basically the people who are not really interested in 5e to begin with.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It does not go on sale next week. Even the early release stores wouldn't be having it till August 8th which is about 2.5 weeks away and Amazon won't release it till August 19th which is about 4 weeks away. Nice try.

Well, see... when you start with "Wait a couple weeks"... *then* you add in "NEXT WEEK"... you get to the release date of the Player's Handbook. You know. Maths. :lol:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I didn't say it was "god awful". I said it was awful. You may want to read with more care! :D

Now you're being obtuse. You said, "Good god this is awful." If you begin with, "Good God" that modifies what comes next, which is, "this is awful". It means the modified thing is deity-exclamation-worthy in magnitude. Therefore, a fair summary of your sentence is, "You said it was God Awful". Otherwise, you're expecting me to read your mind and know which words you meant to have meaning and which you did not mean. And given you're an outlier on just about everything, I expect I would be awful at that task. So I am just going to assume you say what you mean and mean what you say.

If it's exactly the same as this playtest, just with a backgrounds chapter, I'd play but never run, and only buy the PHB at most.

Would you still post here every day about it, criticizing whatever you can find, being generally cynical and hyperbolic about it, like calling things God Awful if they assume DMs will follow ordinary rules like how many weapons you can draw without an action?

Understand, I am trying to find the threshold where you will either: 1) give up on the game and therefore stop being that guy who drops bombs on threads exaggerating every conceivable beef with 5e, derailing the thread and driving fans of that game away, or 2) decide you like the game. At some point that's got to happen right? At some point either you become more satisfied with the game and reduce the cynicism, or else you give up on it. So I am trying to drill down on one of those events where you're doing it - being the guy in the crowded theater falsely screaming fire, causing a general interruption to the movie everyone is watching.

Last edited:

Remove ads