• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Playtest 6: Bard

lall

Explorer
My lore bard will miss not having advantage on BI (Cunning Inspiration from first playtest). The sorcerer and cleric can now Wish for anything without the 1/3 chance of losing Wish. Makes me more inclined to play one of those classes and just Wish for the bard stuff I want.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Also much like how Clerics and Druids get an "order" that they can choose, I think Bards should too. I know picking your spell list can be seen as sort of a choice of Order, but what if you want a more "fightery" Bard and don't want to wait to 3rd level.
I think they do, and I think it's great. I just wrote this here talking about the design benefits of letting the Bards choose between spell lists. I think not automatically getting access to healing means that there is actually CHOICE for the player in build design, with plusses and minuses to both options. That's what I want in the game..

I think in choosing what spell list a Bard gets, I think their choice in Spell list should also open up what type of Spellcasting Focus they can use in addition to Musical Instruments.

I'm still disappointed in Bards no longer getting proficiency in Rapiers. If they aren't going with something like "orders" for Bards, at least give them the same weapon proficiencies as Rogues get.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
There's so much to like about this bard.

My first thoughts:
  • I love the choice of spell list, as I've said here.
  • Magical Secrets at level 10 erodes the value of that initial choice. A tier 3 and 4 bard will play very differently, I imagine.
  • College of Dance is a cool idea. Am I right that the Agile strokesoption will favour PCs with natural weapons? A dancing Lizardfolk biting bard leaps to mind...
  • College of Lore loses its healing option (this is consistent with the spell list choice). Magical Discoveries brings the Lore back tothe Lore bard. I'm glad to see this here. I'm interested that they do NOT allow class-specific spells to be taken; Id be content to let that happen, even for Find Steed etc.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
A flex class with charisma, and can flex away from support. I can see a lot being done with them, though I wonder if other classes can't do those things better, if not as charismatically.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Still Spell prep. Non-starter.
Actually, the Bard, Ranger, and Paladin are all functionally “Spells Known” casters again, they just got rid of that term for some reason. If you read the rules for how those classes prepare spells, they only get to swap out one prepared spell when they gain a level. So, exactly how Spells Known works in the 2014 rules with Tasha’s spell versatility in play.

Remove ads