D&D (2024) Subclasses

Horwath

Legend
I agree 100%, but given the public playtest, the problem is with the fanbase, not the company. Sure, they could have defied the playtest results, but they received a clear message that "backward compatibility" was a sacred cow. We can disagree with that, but the survey results gave them clear indications that the majority did not want unified levels.
funny, on most forums, the more brave the changes were, the more they were praised.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It's really insulting in how WotC thinks how idiotic new players are in their minds.
Really? Cause all I see all the time is people around here complaining that D&D is "too complicated".

But now you're suggesting that it doesn't need to be simple for new players to get it and that WotC thinks they are "idiots"? Interesting. Maybe that's more that YOU find it simple and you are putting your beliefs about the game into the rest of humanity.

Horwath

Legend
Really? Cause all I see all the time is people around here complaining that D&D is "too complicated".

But now you're suggesting that it doesn't need to be simple for new players to get it and that WotC thinks they are "idiots"? Interesting. Maybe that's more that YOU find it simple and you are putting your beliefs about the game into the rest of humanity.
I have played with lot's of new players, and some played their 1st time and started at 5th level, and with spell casters, sure there were little muddling through for first two sessions but that is normal. And no one whined that the game is too complicated.

So, either I play with only MENSA members, which I am not, or is it more likely that WotC just underestimates intelligence of new players?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
It's really insulting in how WotC thinks how idiotic new players are in their minds.
I will continue to bang my "we need zero level rules" drum, because that solves genuinely all three of the relevant issues here if properly tested. It preserves a lower amount of mechanical learning for any ultra fresh players who might need it; it offers classic-edition fans their coveted "I want hard D&D with high danger and few mechanical tools" option that currently requires extensive house-sitting; and it ensures that for the vast majority of players, "first level" actually means FIRST, the place you start games at in most cases.

It is exceedingly rare to have something like this. It is like having your cake, and eating it too, and also having a rather nice pie for those who aren't a fan of frosting.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Still think is was a bad idea that they backtracked from unified subclass levels.
also subclasses should have started at 1st level. nothing much, bonus proficiencies, spells and some flavor. Much better stuff at lvl3

so unified levels: 1,3,6,10,14. no need for 18th level, it's too little, too late for new features.
Blame the fans who couldn't understand that a level 11 subclasses feature would move to level 10.

Remove ads