Playtest Packet #1 - Feudal Lords Cleric

Jraynack

Explorer
As promised, we are giving each of you the chance to participate in playtesting some of the new rules and core classes that will be presented in our upcoming campaign guide for the Feudal Lords Setting.

We look forward to hearing from you in this forum about the Feudal Lord Cleric. The cleric, though a sound class in its own right (well that is debatable depending on the forum you are reading), it needed some redefining to give the setting a distinct medieval feel. Clerics and priests are geared toward pressing their faith and gaining converts (as well as keeping converts with the threat of fire and brimstone) rather than healers.

Though the are still a stalwart companion in an adventuring group, they are even more so if you share their same faith.

Click HERE to start playtesting!

Jeremehovah

First Post
FL Clerics

As intended, it does give the medieval feel. Something about giving out Divine Boons to your allies that follow the same god. Gives the feeling of King Arthur and his Knights. "Sir Fred, I give you the power that our god has given me".

As for the Divine Boons, perhaps the list could be Domain specific? That way, each Domain could have access to certain boons, and not others. Yeah, I know, lots of work, but it does add yet one more dimension to the class as well as the religions.

As for proselytizing (gaining converts), are there any mechanics for that? Are there any benefits, beyond saying "hey, he's a convert now"? What if that cleric has some sort of benefit for each convert? Maybe some Faith Points system, where the character has x points based on how many converts that he has. Allocate the Faith Points in a fashion similar to the Divine Boons (each day), and spend them on extra spells (higher levels costs more), more undead turning attempts (this is great as many feats spend them, too), and more Divine Boons. Of course, there is an added complexity if you were to track each individual convert (what happens if he dies? what if he, too, helps others to join?). Maybe it could be an overall rating of how happy the god is with the character?

Jraynack

Explorer
Jeremehovah said:
As for the Divine Boons, perhaps the list could be Domain specific? That way, each Domain could have access to certain boons, and not others. Yeah, I know, lots of work, but it does add yet one more dimension to the class as well as the religions.

That is definitely a thought. Each domain (well most) for the campaign setting will have a special Patron Saint ability for those that follow a particular saint. The idea you suggest would be a lot of work but ideally worth it - with that said it might be an expansion to the campaign guide.

Jeremehovah said:
As for proselytizing (gaining converts), are there any mechanics for that? Are there any benefits, beyond saying "hey, he's a convert now"? What if that cleric has some sort of benefit for each convert? Maybe some Faith Points system, where the character has x points based on how many converts that he has. Allocate the Faith Points in a fashion similar to the Divine Boons (each day), and spend them on extra spells (higher levels costs more), more undead turning attempts (this is great as many feats spend them, too), and more Divine Boons. Of course, there is an added complexity if you were to track each individual convert (what happens if he dies? what if he, too, helps others to join?). Maybe it could be an overall rating of how happy the god is with the character?

The Piety bonus system will be similar to the Heraldry bonus system (Household Knight) and will talk about gaining church followers and influence. There is definitely room for optional rules about converting NPCs or even other members of the party! I always enjoy solid mechanics to back up good role-playing - which is why I wrote Honor and Corruption.

I did have a similar system for Piety in my campaign that really rewarded people for role-playing worship for their individual god. I have toyed with the thought of updating it for this campaign setting.

It went something like this - anybody could earn faith points (you didn't have to be a cleric). Each domain had a list of things you could do to earn faith points (ex. Knowledge domain - earn x Faith points for building a library or lose x faith points for destroying a library). The more faith points you recieved, you recieve bonuses (circumstance modifiers or minor divine spells per day).

Thanks for the input.

Remove ads