• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playtesting?

DonTadow

First Post
wavester said:
Ya nothing like eliteism amongst gamers in a hobby. LOL. The RPGA will do just fine testing the rules of the game. Have no fear. We did a good job with 3.0, 3.5, and we'll do it again with 4.0

Dave C
RPGA Stooge (aka note a 'real player')
No elitism, but the RPGA isn't dungeons and dragons. It's an altered group form of the game that poorly imitiates a massive online game and is not the "natural" way that most people play. There's not a campaign I've seen that runs like an RPG module. Considering that it is not the natural use of the product, it seems like such a bad idea to have it tested there first.

I"m not stepping on a soap box, i'm stating fax. Most d and d games are played around a table among friends with a dm who runs his own story and feeds off the players. RPGA are set paths with real player interaction to the story and encounters.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
DonTadow said:
No elitism, but the RPGA isn't dungeons and dragons. It's an altered group form of the game that poorly imitiates a massive online game and is not the "natural" way that most people play. There's not a campaign I've seen that runs like an RPG module. Considering that it is not the natural use of the product, it seems like such a bad idea to have it tested there first.

I"m not stepping on a soap box, i'm stating fax. Most d and d games are played around a table among friends with a dm who runs his own story and feeds off the players. RPGA are set paths with real player interaction to the story and encounters.
What? Almost every game I played in of D&D has followed the same basic formula, RPGA games included:

The DM comes up with an adventure, preparing the plot, writing up encounters, drawing up maps, figuring out what would happen. The players would then show up for the session and try to get to the end of the adventure(getting to the end of the maze and killing the ancient mummy who ruled it, solving the murders in town, etc).

Sometimes our DM would purchase an adventure prewritten for him (Temple of Elemental Evil, Against the Giants, etc) or he'd write his own adventure in the same style as those. He'd follow what the author wrote except he'd make some changes now and then when the PCs went "off the track". My first DM used to come to each session with a 40 page written adventure that he wrote up in class last week.

Almost all of the original 1st edition adventures were created specifically to showcase what D&D is all about in a convention environment.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
DonTadow said:

I'd really like to respond to this in detail -- and I'll admit to some bias, as I've played or run more than 300 RPGA games that were definintely D&D -- but Don, you probably missed my warning a few posts above. I'd like the RPGA/non-RPGA sidetrack in this thread to cease, please. Artificial delineations aren't helping anyone.

That means keep the thread on topic.

Thanks. Holler with questions.

sidonunspa

First Post
Edited because I hadn’t noticed the RPGA/Non-RPGA off topic-topic thread was closed

Sorry about that...

No now back to the bad news that we will not get a chance to apply for play test.

They really should have done some research on the play testers and picked a few groups though some kind of application process.

Last edited:

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
So anyway... (thanks PKitty).... I've had a bad week. Some playtesting news would be most welcome, even it just to put my mind at ease that the selection is finished.

JDragon

Explorer
Ashrem Bayle said:
So anyway... (thanks PKitty).... I've had a bad week. Some playtesting news would be most welcome, even it just to put my mind at ease that the selection is finished.

Bummer that your week has sucked. Hope it gets better soon.

Just wanted to throw my agreement in that I wish they would just get what ever they are going to do done, so I can move on.

JD

Remove ads