Playtesting?

Piratecat said:
Quick, everyone! First person to dress up like Johnny Cash wins! :D
johnny.jpg

Darn you Joaquin Phoenix! You don't even play DnD :fist:

ozedge

Explorer
Ruavel said:
I would speculate that the penalty would depend on whatever is stipulated in the NDA itself. It could be something as simple as being removed from the playtesting process, or it could leave the offender open to litigation, if the breach were significant enough ("Look everyone. I posted the playtest documentation on my website").

My experience with NDAs is restricted to ones between employer & employee, where a breach results in anything from informal reprimand to dismissal (no saving throw ;) ).

but you raise a very interesting point. One can certainly see why the WotC/Hasbro lawyers might balk at the idea of including overseas playtesters...

...but the game is popular all around the world, and the broader the cross section of testers, the better the product is likely to be.

I guess it poses something of a conundrum and explains why Scott Rouse was "not sure how it would work with people outside the USA".

edit: spelling mistakes, expansion & clarification

well as a result of the free trade agreement between OZ and the US... copyright infringement is enforceable between our countries (i beleive) so hopefully this makes it easier for someone like me to be accepted as a playtester :D

Ruavel

First Post
ozedge said:
well as a result of the free trade agreement between OZ and the US... copyright infringement is enforceable between our countries (i beleive) so hopefully this makes it easier for someone like me to be accepted as a playtester :D
well I'll keep my fingers crossed that at least one of us gets to be the Perth Playtesting Rep...

:D

mhensley

First Post
Hmmm... if applications for playtesting go out sometime in September, then I'm guessing actual playtesting will probably start in December and last through February. Not a lot of time for playtesting is there?

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Suppose I apply for and am accepted as play tester. How will I actually go about the process of doing the testing? Will all the members of my normal D&D group be included? I'm sure they'd all sign NDAs, but I'm just not sure I get how this all works. I mean, would they all have to apply on their own? Does the application process specify an entire gaming group?

Otherwise, I'd imagine that many of the more rural players might not be included simply because there aren't enough members in their geographical region for them to form large enough groups (and consistently enough) to actually get any serious testing accomplished.

Dave

The_Baldman

Explorer
mhensley said:
Hmmm... if applications for playtesting go out sometime in September, then I'm guessing actual playtesting will probably start in December and last through February. Not a lot of time for playtesting is there?

No I think the materials go out the the chosen playtest lead in September not applications. By September my understanding is people are already picked and it's a done deal.

Dave C

mhensley

First Post
wavester said:
No I think the materials go out the the chosen playtest lead in September not applications. By September my understanding is people are already picked and it's a done deal.

No, Scott said that the application for playtesters would be made available "Sometime in September".

BlackMoria

First Post
Suppose I apply for and am accepted as play tester. How will I actually go about the process of doing the testing? Will all the members of my normal D&D group be included? I'm sure they'd all sign NDAs, but I'm just not sure I get how this all works. I mean, would they all have to apply on their own? Does the application process specify an entire gaming group?

Usually, there is a playtest lead. This is the person who will be the single point of contact between the designer and the playtest group, as the designer doesn't want to deal with tons of playtesters.

All materials go to the playtest lead. The playtest lead disseminates the material, collects the material resulting from the playtest results, complies a playtest report and returns it to the designer. The playtest lead is also responsible to ensure the playtest is conducted according to what the designer wants feedback on. He is also responsible for any material sent to him.

To answer your questions specifically, you in essence 'volunteer your group' and indicate the playtest lead (most likely yourself). If accepted for the playtest, you will need to identify all members of your group. The designer sends the playtest lead the NDAs. You are responsible to distribute and collect and forward the NDA back to the designer.

The designer sends you material, with instructions as to what they want tested (it can be general or very specific the material they want playtested). You distribute the material, ensure the playtest is conducted in a timely fashion in a manner that best answers the requirements of the playtest. You compile the results, write a playtest report and forward the results back the designer. You may or may not need to return the playtest material. If not, you may need to certify that the playtest material has been destroyed by doing so and making a declaration to that effect. The designer will usually give you direction on what to do with material after the playtest.

Don't for a moment think that playtesting is getting the material in advance of the rest of the public and indulging yourselves. It is a lot of work for the playtest lead and your 'end of playtest' report needs to be well written and address what the designer asked of you. Your group needs to be able to work to deadlines (sometimes they can be tight) as well.

NDAs - they are a sacred convenant. As playtest lead, you in essence are going 'to wear it' if someone in your group breaks the NDA. As playtest lead, you are in essence, the guaranteur that the NDA will be abided by as you are 'the face' for your group. Breaking a NDA by even one person in your group will result in your group being blacklisted from the playtest (and any future ones), possible legal issues and possibly getting a bad reputation with the d20 designer community (these guys know one another and talk to each other).

That is my experience. WOTC may conduct the playtest differently than I outlined.

Good luck.

Remove ads