Pledge of Tyranny (updated November 13)

OaxacanWarrior

First Post
genshou said:
Ah, a fellow Utahn! I'm afraid I've abandoned my roots to live amongst the potatoes (actually, there are more wheat fields here in Meridian than potatoes, because the climate isn't right for potato growth). Still, good to see someone from the native state here on EN World. Oh, and thanks for supporting my desire to write this in the first place–I couldn't motivate myself (read: kick self in the seat of the pants) to write all of this without having someone else compliment and/or nag for updates :D:D

Well in that case, give us an update! ;) What part of Utah are you from?

genshou

First Post
genshou said:
I am using Elements of Magic (Revised) from our very own RangerWickett of E.N. Publishing. I'd highly recommend it for everyone who's enjoying reading this :)
HalfOrc HalfBiscuit said:
Interesting. Thanks.
You're welcome! I'm never too high-and-mighty to keep myself from pimping a good product. You'll notice that all spellcasting will be a lot more spontaneous and variable in effect. You'll see some spells more often than others (such as Shirl's signature spell Awe, which she cast at the start of the combat above), but any spell here was made from scratch following the Elements of Magic rules, so even common signature spells might see a little on-the-fly modification from time to time.
OaxacanWarrior said:
Well in that case, give us an update! ;) What part of Utah are you from?
I'm from Orem. Used to live right down the street from Lela, back in the "good ol' days..."

Update is on the way. It's actually mostly ready, but I first have to deal with the mess some mage made in my inbox with his "permanencied" briar web while I was vacationing, and then I'll be doing some more tweaking on the post based on a few ideas I got while away from my home computer.

genshou

First Post
Shirl had been understandably stunned by the young man’s revelation. For him to make such an outrageous suggestion like that, seemingly out of the blue...

Lander, however, found the young man greatly to his liking. He could sense the honesty in everything Evendur said. “I find this ‘destiny’ matter fascinating. It is indeed a good day for you to be here, as I am preparing Shirl to set out on her own. She has grown much stronger under my tutelage, but she’s learned enough that she doesn’t really need me anymore.” Lander looked Evendur’s clothing over briefly. “You’re not particularly well-equipped right now, but have you ever considered the adventuring life?”

Evendur frowned. “I’m not too keen on being sliced up by some skeleton. A staff and a few clubs hardly seems like adequate adventuring gear.” He glanced toward the innkeeper, a tall and stout man more attractive–and immaculate–than most of his ilk. “I’ve been waiting on payment for my services up until now, but even with that amount of gold, it’ll be down to the last copper when the time comes to equip myself.” He examined the circular item in his palm, shifting it in the light until the blood-red gem reflected sunlight streaming in from a nearby window. This amulet has proved useful, but perhaps it could provide another sort of benefit necessary to launch my adventuring career... Rubbing his chin thoughtfully as he pondered his options, he finally spoke some of his thoughts aloud. “Mmm... Give me until tomorrow to make a few decisions. I believe you said you had seen the symbol on this amulet somewhere in this city? I would appreciate any aid you could provide in locating it.” Evendur chuckled lightly. This was more help than he’d ever asked anyone for, and he tried not to ask for any when he could survive without it. Hopefully this Lander fellow wouldn’t think he was just being needy.

Leaning forward with his elbows on the table and his chin supported by his fists, Lander smirked. “I could always ask the locals, but that would take time. Oh very well, one more spell on the house. Shirl, I’m going to use a Divination. Information such as where to find that shop will be a cinch.”

Shirl shook her head vehemently. “Oh, no, I think we should scry on the location of the symbol. You’ve seen it before, so it’ll be easy. And that way, I can assist you again for practice.” She looked at Evendur. “Besides, that way we can give him a visual to help him find it more easily.”

Lander sighed. Reverting to the Chondathan dialect of the common tongue, he replied, “All right. Scrying it shall be.” Placing both palms flat upon the table, he instructed the two others to do the same. He then placed his hands atop those of the other two in order to create a physical link. “We’ll need to all be linked for the spell to succeed. Go ahead and hold hands.” After some apparent nervousness on both their parts, Evendur and Shirl linked hands and turned to face Lander.

As the two cast their spell, Evendur’s mind’s eye was opened up, and he found himself viewing a sphere of 80 foot diameter. He was “floating” in the air above a street intersection, and there on the corner was a small magic shop (not a magic shoppe, believe me there’s a difference :p), christened “Melthym’s Exotic and Esoteric Imports” by a fanciful sign. True to Lander’s memory and the spell’s function, just inside the window was a buckler, with a tear-shaped gem in the center of it. It was almost a perfect replica of his amulet. Bingo, he thought, then wondered if he could get a closer look somehow. Next thing he knew, the center of the spell’s area had moved to just in front of the shop. Experimenting, he found that he could move the scried area anywhere he wished, at about walking speed. For the next ten minutes, he scried the surrounding area extensively, looking for familiar landmarks. When he finally found one, he went back over the area and memorized the route he needed to take. He was finished almost a minute before the spell expired, but continued to explore for later reference. When he finished, he looked at Lander and Shirl, who opened their eyes slowly.

“See anything interesting?” Shirl asked with a smile. “We couldn’t see what you were scrying, so I hope you found what you needed to find.”

Evendur looked at them incredulously. “You chose to make me the sole beneficiary of the scrying?” He was surprised that they would go to all that effort to have the spell affect only him all along. “Regardless, I saw what I needed to. I’ll be heading off to check out that shop, once I’ve finished with brunch.”

He removed his hands from theirs and waved a serving girl over. After requesting their brunch, the three chatted idly about inconsequential things the likes of which two bards and a rogue might discuss (sorry, but I’m getting tired of banter :D).

Meanwhile, thousands of miles to the east...

Green light shot out of the hands of the four cloaked figures, the only light in the underground chamber. Coalescing along lines carved into the earthen floor, the mystical energies bound the four together, forming a complex synergy of power. Theirs was the work of a ritual, a powerful method for casting spells beyond the abilities of one single magic user. In this case, their target was the blood-red gem on the floor in the center of their small circle. Or rather, the entity contained within it...

One of the figures spoke in a decidedly cruel female voice as the ritual was completed. “Oh, gods, the power! I can feel it... The energy courses through me!” The speaker threw back her head, lowering her hood to reveal her facial features. She was most definitely striking even in the greenish lighting, but the mad glee on her face would be enough to frighten most would-be-suitors. “Was it this incredible for you?” she asked the figure on her right.

That one, however, remained unmoving. Only his deep, booming, monotone voice indicated he was responding at all. “The power is in you now. Our master wishes to speak to you. Place your hands upon the stone.”

She did as compelled, and immediately her hands locked onto it. Painful energy coursed throughout her body, and yet she could not tear herself away. A voice boomed inside her head. YOU HAVE DONE WELL, MY SERVANT. BUT THE TIME IS STILL FAR AWAY. YOU ARE FAR TOO WEAK. GATHER MORE, AND WHEN I AM FREE, YOU WILL BE BLESSED. NOW FEEL BUT A LITTLE OF THE MIGHTY POWER YOU DESIRE. The voice faded immediately, and with it went the pain, immobility, the ritual’s energy, and most of her stamina. Collapsing to the floor in a daze, she could only think one thing, over and over again... Oh, gods, the power!

Hey hey Genshou,

Good stuff again. Good description of scry - it's hard to get that right sometimes.

Oh and rituals, hooded women and demons are right up my street... eager to see how those two threads come together.

Ever a fan,

Spider J

Lela

First Post
I concur. Keep at it. Don't let my finals week, and lack of any contact with you at all lately, be discoraging. I know how you hang on my every word. ;)

genshou

First Post
Lela said:
I concur. Keep at it. Don't let my finals week, and lack of any contact with you at all lately, be discoraging. I know how you hang on my every word. ;)
Oh, sure I do. Of course.

Sorry about the delay, folks! Life has been crazier than expected this month... much crazier. Not all bad, but very busy. After writing up an explanation of the FR calendar for the unititiated, I only have a short paragraph so far. But, I have 30 minutes until my next class and I can *technically* survive without lunch (though very uncomfortably) until it's over. Hopefully I'll make enough headway to post a gigantic "catch-up" post really late tonight.

genshou

First Post
Well, I managed to write up enough to reach a logical stopping point (short though it may be), so I may as well upload this portion of the update now. The next part of the update won't actually make it tonight, because I will be working into the morning hours. Instead, it'll either be *very* early tomorrow morning or sometime late tomorrow night.

A quick explanation of dates & times:
Forgotten Realms uses the Calendar of Harptos, a 365-day calendar very similar to our own Gregorian Calendar. There are twelve months, each of which has both a true name and a common name.
Month Number: Name, Common Name
1: Hammer, Deepwinter
2: Alturiak, The Claw of Winter
3: Ches, The Claw of the Sunsets
4: Tarsakh, the Claw of the Storms
5: Mirtul, The Melting
6: Kythorn, The Time of Flowers
7: Flamerule, Summertide
8: Eleasis, Highsun
9: Eleint, The Fading
10: Marpenoth, Leaffall
11: Uktar, The Rotting
12: Nightal, The Drawing Down
Each month has thirty days. The other 5 days in the calendar are holidays independent of the months. These holidays and their locations on the calendar follow:

Midwinter, or Deadwinter Day to commoners, is celebrated mostly by nobles and monarchs, and is a day to make or renew alliances. Midwinter occurs between Hammer and Alturiak.
Greengrass is a day of peace and rejoicing for the coming of spring. Greengrass occurs between Tarsakh and Mirtul.
Midsummer is a time of feasting and frolicking, the favorite time of year for bards and worshipers of Sune. Midsummer occurs between Flamerule and Eleasias.
Highharvestide is a holiday to celebrate the autumn harvest and a time of journeys. Many leave on their journeys the morning after celebrations, before road conditions are affected by the coming winter. Highharvestide is celebrated between Eleint and Marpenoth.
Once every four years, an extra leap day is thrown in just after Midsummer. This holiday is known as Shieldmeet. Shieldmeet is a day of open council between rulers and the people, a day of making or renewing pacts, and a day of tournaments of all kinds.
The passing of years follows a different starting point in different cultures, but the standard is Dalereckoning. Dalereckoning is marked by the raising of the Standing Stone in the elven city of Myth Drannor. Most years are referred to not by their number, but by names known to the common people by the writings of the Lost Sage Augathra the Mad, who wrote out the names of thousands of years and recorded them in the library of Candlekeep. Though they are merely a vague title, the names given by Augathra are viewed by most as mysterious portents of the years ahead.
The starting year in the campaign is 1372 DR, The Year of Wild Magic, but the year at the start of this story hour is 1371 DR, Year of the Unstrung Harp.

10th Marpenoth (Leaffall), time approx. 1000
Their brunch long since finished, the small group’s pleasant conversation moved as though to be about the reasons they became adventurers, but both Evendur and Shirl immediately grew silent. Lander was disappointed that Evendur would not reveal even the tiniest hint of his past, as too was he disappointed that Shirl would not tell Evendur at least a little of her tale.

For his part, Evendur was outwardly calm and composed despite the anxiety that filled him. He always got shaky when something major was about to happen. And he was doing everything he could to avoid seeming to go into a seizure. “It’s something I’ll share eventually… but not right now,” he spoke quietly, interrupting the temporary silence that had ensued as a result of the prior topic. “Right now, my only concern is with that shop and what this amulet’s connection to it is. I think I’ll be going now to see if I can find out anything about my connection with that symbol.” He stretched lazily, letting his long limbs extend to full length. Looking at first Lander and then Shirl, he let his eyes rest on her for a moment longer than he had her mentor before he spoke. “Thank you very much for an enlightening and rewarding conversation. Shall I expect the two of you to be back here when I return?”

He noticed Shirl had a look on her face like she wanted to say something, but she held it in, apparently due to shyness. Odd to see in a performer such a display of introversion, he mused. Lander spoke up in her place. Apparently, he was quite accustomed to doing so. “We don’t have anything planned, so we’ll still be here. Well, as long as you manage to get back here before tomorrow. Can’t wait around forever, you know!” He laughed blithely yet again. Apparently that was a habit for the fellow, which certainly wasn’t a bad thing.

Evendur smiled in return to the laughing as he stood and retrieved his quarterstaff. “Very good. I don’t expect to be gone more than an hour or two. I look forward to seeing you again.” Though the final sentence was meant to be directed toward both of them, he was looking only at Shirl as he said it.

Then as quick as he had entered the room during the (un)armed conflict, he was gone out of it once more…

Remove ads