Pledge of Tyranny (updated November 13)

genshou

First Post
Lela said:
It's good to see that Evendur has a gut instinct. Is there a higher than average Wisdom score?
Actually, yes.

For those who care, I'll just list the ability scores of the two right now. Don't worry, this information will not be on the test. Plus, you'll always be able to look it up in the Rogues' Gallery once I post it there.

Evendur Greycastle:
Human Male Rogue/Ranger Gestalt, Level 1
Str 12, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 15 (53 pts.)

Shirl Ravenlocke:
Human Female Bard/Fighter Gestalt, Level 1
Str 15, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 17 (42 pts.)

The amount of points as per the point-buy rules will only matter at lower levels, since Pledge of Tyranny uses a method for ability score increase which eventually causes all characters to have equal "points." Because these two have very high ability scores, they won't be seeing as flexible of increases for many character levels.

genshou

First Post
Alas, over 2 months have passed, and no update... my apologies to my [respecting but hopefully not adoring] fans...

Seeing as I am at 999 posts at the time I am writing this, what better way to commemorate my 1,000th post (and the accompanying bump in level to 2nd) than to UPDATE MY FREAKIN' STORY HOUR?!

Note: spoilers ahead! For those receiving message notifications by email, as well as those downloading the thread from the website, it is recommended you come to the forum itself to read this post if you don’t want too many things to be revealed too early, as I’m not entirely certain if my method of placing the text in quote tags within spoiler tags really works.. I have included several pieces of conversation for the sake of completeness which reveal a great deal about these two important NPCs, and some (such as my player) should not be reading these things until a later point in the campaign.

Not a hundred feet out from the gate leading out of the inn compound, Evendur stopped and turned toward the inn’s main door. After a few moments, the door opened slightly and Shirl slipped hesitantly out into the street. Seeing that he was standing only a short distance away and looking right at her, she shrugged uncomfortably and lowered her gaze, avoiding his own as she walked toward him at a brisk pace. He remained motionless until she stopped a scant two feet at his side. “I see you chose to come with me,” he commented dryly, swiveling his head in her direction ever so slightly.

She nodded slightly. “Yes, I did…” The requisite moment of awkward silence came and went, and then she forced herself to continue, “I just felt the need to talk to you. We’re going to be adventuring together soon, right? I thought we should get to know each other a little better.” She looked up for a moment, smiling shyly.

“I would appreciate the company,” Evendur replied with a slight smile of his own. “Besides, it’s always best to wander the back alleyways in the presence of someone with the know-how to watch one’s back.” He started moving forward, and Shirl found keeping up with his swift pace difficult, but managed to match him stride for stride nonetheless.

The streets of Waterdeep were mucky from prevailing weather, and progress among the majority of Waterdhavians was slower than usual as a result. The two of them pierced through the crowd like a spear through a gelatinous cube. Evendur’s eyes shifted about constantly, keeping an eye on everything around him. Shirl noticed and attributed it to some sort of paranoia, but said nothing.

As they passed by a cart whose owner was stubbornly refusing to accept that it was stuck in the mud, Shirl finally asked the question which was her reason for following him. “So…” She paused for a few seconds before continuing. “I’ll tell you about my past and why I became an adventurer if you’ll share some of your story with me. All right?”

(Spoilers follow, put into quote tags within spoiler tags, so you have to be on the board to read them. My player should not read this, and anyone who wants to keep from knowing more than the PC did about these two characters at first should just skip this part.)

[SBLOCK]
Evendur frowned. His aim was not to reveal his past to her so early in their travels. “You first,” he muttered with blasé bearing.

Shirl jumped slightly at that, clearly not expecting to be called out in such a manner. “Well, I, uh…” She swallowed heavily, forcing resolve to reach her gut. “I became an adventurer when I was sixteen years old. At the time before I met Lander, I lived with my parents in Peldan’s Helm. I helped father out with the farming and leatherworking, and had a few friends, though I’ve always been sort of shy…” She lowered her gaze for a moment, acting true to how she had just described herself. “Well, anyway, it was about this time that I happened to encounter a local knight passing through the area. His name is Dallen Greenwood, and he is a long-standing and well-respected member of the militia in Mistledale. When he looked upon me, he was instantly smitten, and not in a chaste way…” She had to swallow again. Evendur could see where this topic was going by the way she was speaking of it.

“Of course, even the common folk of Mistledale have enough rights that they cannot be married off without their consent. And so he turned to an alternate form of persuasion…” There was nothing more to be said of the subject, and indeed mentioning the matter as much as she did was enough to cause her to begin shaking with rage and all manner of other undesirable emotions.

Evendur frowned slightly. “No need to speak further on the subject–that was enough for me to figure out what happened. After that… incident, however, you trained under Lander. How did you meet him?”

Shirl was grateful for the change in topic, though she was still tense and starting to have difficulty focusing on anything else. “After… after that night, I was confused and frightened. I fled from my home of so many years, and found myself in Ashabenford a few days later.” She sighed tiredly, this topic was wearing on her more than she had anticipated. “I was an absolute wreck at the time. I found my way to a tavern and was ready to drink myself to death’s door when I met Lander. He could tell something was very wrong, and, well… Lander is a very kind soul. He talked me out of a lot of crazy ideas that were running around in my head the entire time; he allowed himself to be subjected to all manner of verbal abuse… in the end, he even took me in as a student and taught be the bardic way.” She smiled slightly at Evendur, as much as she could while speaking of a troubled past. “And then when my training was almost at an end, he led me here to find others to adventure with. And that led to meeting you.” She glanced Evendur’s way. “I’ve told you more than I wanted to say. Your turn.”
[/SBLOCK]
(Even worse spoiler follows… only the most inquisitive of souls should venture!)
[SBLOCK]
Evendur chuckled. “Fair enough. Just don’t expect a story anything near the level of what you told me.” He stopped for a moment, leaning heavily on his staff. “Hmm… you were so honest with me that I feel I must tell you everything or I shall be doing you a disservice. Lend your ear, then, for a moment, to what there is of my tale…”

He then recounted what little there was to tell her, in the elven language which he was more comfortable using when speaking of such. ”It is a very simple story, really, though I don’t know whether or not I expect you to believe I’m telling the truth. Approximately one month ago, I awakened in an alleyway near the inn at which you are staying, with nothing but tattered rags, the amulet I showed you, and fragments of memories which began to fade in the first few minutes after I awakened… By now, I can remember almost nothing of my past, except that when I awoke the amount I remembered was much greater than what I remember now. I occasionally have fleeting glimpses of a spendid city, with great magic and many, many marvelous devices. Yet the city is dark, and there is great evil all around me. Even this vision is fading from me… I may remember nothing of it in a week’s time.” He chuckled. ”Probably a bit hard to swallow, so I understand if you don’t believe a word of it. I will tell you that I have spent the last month working in that establishment.”
[/SBLOCK]
(End spoilers… for those who didn’t read, the conversation ended with Evendur telling Shirl that he didn’t expect her to believe the story he told.)

Shirl smiled warmly. “No, I believe you… what reason do you have to lie to me? Besides… I like you.” She blushed slightly after reflecting on her quickly-voiced statement. “Well, you know what I mean,” she quickly added.

Evendur chuckled, and turned to face her full on. ”No, actually, I don’t. What did you mean?” He reached out to poke her upper arm slightly. ”A mere slip of the tongue, or something more?

Shirl slapped his arm back rather forcefully. ”DO NOT TEASE ME SO!” she shouted, much louder than she had intended. Much more demurely, she said, ”Well, let us be on our way. We will not reach our destination without walking there.”

genshou

First Post
Christmas Update, Part I

It was several more minutes before either of them felt the need to speak. Evendur was silently reflecting on what he had learned of his soon-to-be-adventuring companion, and Shirl found speaking difficult at all times, more so after being teased in such a manner. As they moved into an alleyway to avoid the crowded streets of the city, Evendur turned to face her once more. “The staff at the inn tell me you have some skill at the art of song. But what other skills have you learned in your bardic training?

Shirl smiled broadly, glad he was asking about something of that sort. “Well, you know, singing isn’t actually my main area of focus.”

“And yet everyone at the inn was quite impressed,” Evendur interjected swiftly. “If you have even more talent in another area of focus, your skill must be phenomenal.”

The compliment was enough to bring warmth to Shirl’s cheeks. “Why, thank you. I have spent most of my time learning to play the trumpet. I’ve also picked up some skill in dancing and know a few of the more common ballads, and recently I’ve begun learning the drums.” She tapped her index finger to her chin as she remembered something. “Oh, and of course I’m continuing the family business. The Ravenlocke name is a well-known one in leatherworking, and I couldn’t help but carry on my father’s trade. See this whip, and the leather in my clothing? I made them myself while I was adventuring.”

Evendur nodded. “Very impressive. I suppose my own clothing must not be very impressive by comparison.” He stepped deftly around a pile of filth in the middle of the alley. “Nor would this humble staff make for a fine adventurer’s weapon.” He sighed. “It’ll be difficult until I have gold to purchase real adventuring gear.”

Shirl grinned, trying to cheer him up a bit. “Still… you’ve nowhere to go but up. Try to think of it that way. And besides–”

Evendur interrupted her speech with an upraised hand. He stopped walking and shifted his left hand to get a better grip on his staff, while his right reached inside his tunic. It took Shirl only a moment to realize his intent. She scanned the alley warily, and thought for a moment that she saw a shadow move around a corner. “Cutthroats?” she whispered, her hand going to her whip dagger.

Evendur smirked slightly. “Welcome to Waterdeep. Plan on staying long?” Shirl shot him a wilting look. “I hope you’re good with that whip you made, because I count seven of them.” Shirl redoubled her efforts to spot their attackers, but the shadows and refuse ahead kept her from seeing anyone. She didn’t doubt Evendur’s sincerity, especially given the palpable feeling of danger. But what if Evendur were the source of that danger…?

“Down !” Evendur shouted, even as he tackled her and rolled behind a crate. Her head hit the dirt hard, knocking her senseless for a moment. The sound of a crossbow bolt ricocheting off of the alley wall nearby brought her to her senses, and she crawled behind the crate even as another stuck into the ground just behind her foot.

Evendur pointed to the bolt, speaking in the elven tongue. “Hand crossbow. Those are expensive enough that we’re probably only dealing with one or two of them. The rest will be armed with knives, or other cheap, easily hidden weapons. What do you have left in the way of magic?”

Shirl concentrated for a moment. She could hear the foes moving closer; anything they did would have to be quick. “Not much. Enough for two spells.”

Evendur nodded. “Use them wisely. First, we’ll need a diversion…” Shirl had already stood up. She held her arms up in surrender. “If all you want is my gold, I’d rather give it to you than be shot.” She could see them now, seven young adult men armed with knives and short swords. Two also held co cked hand crossbows.

Evendur sighed. That’s not going to work, he thought. The cutthroats laughed. “Oh, we’re not interested in gold,” the leader growled as he took a menacing step forward, keeping his hand crossbow levelled at her. “We’re interested in what’s under the tabard.”

Shirl’s face took on an ashen hue as a thousand images flooded her mind. Her eyes ceased to focus on anything as she realized what it was they were after. Evendur growled ferally. “Don’t listen! We can take ‘em.” In the elven tongue, he shared more detailed instructions. “Remember the spell you cast in the inn, that stunned one of the two brawlers? Cast it on the leader.”

Shirl turned slowly to face him and then nodded. Taking in a deep breath, she whirled around to glare at the leader. “I dare you to even try,” she warned dangerously. “I could take you all on naked and with no weapon.” She reached for the strings tying her vest in the front.

Evendur turned with the same look of disbelief as many of the thugs were giving her. He, however, saw and recognized the way in which her fingers were moving… and just as her spell went off, he popped up from behind cover and threw the club he was hiding straight at the second crossbow-wielding foe. It hit the man hard in the shoulder, and he dropped the crossbow. The bolt fired up into the air,, hitting against the second story wall of a building. The cutthroat gang charged while their leader stood motionless with a dumfounded expression on his face. Swords unsheathed as the two sides met in melee.

Evendur ducked, twisted, and weaved as steel came flying at his body. Several blades found themselves striking the crate, and those that managed to reach closer proximity were deflected by his whirling staff. The man with the injured shoulder picked the crossbow up with his injured arm and stood behind the other cutthroats, reloading it and waiting for an opening...

genshou

First Post
Christmas Update, Part II

Shirl narrowly dodged a pair of knives by stepping back a few inches, and then waited until she had an opportunity to leap back out of harm’s way and draw her whip. She lashed out with it immediately, stabbing the blade tip into one of her attacker’s entrails. He doubled over in pain, dropping his knife and clutching at his stomach as blood leaked out between his fingers. One of the bandits attacking Evendur replaced him, leaving two facing each of them in melee.

Evendur’s staff moved as though it were a whirlwind, knocking his attackers’ weapons aside and striking them in the sides with the impact. He wasn’t hitting them hard enough to knock them down swiftly, but was certainly making progress.

The thug in back saw an opening and fired his crossbow, missing Evendur by only inches as he anticipated the angle of the attack and narrowly dodged. In doing so, however, he left his arms out too wide and found a dagger grazing his right forearm. He grunted in pain but kept his grip on the staff. This isn’t good, he thought. I’m in some trouble if this goes on much longer… I don’t have the energy left to dodge all of these attacks. Shirl didn’t seem to be faring much better. Just when things couldn’t seem to get much worse, the leader shook off Shirl’s spell and leveled his crossbow at her.

The thugs advanced on Shirl as she readied her whip for another strike, slashing at her midsection with their knives, but she managed to narrowly avoid disembowlment by stepping back just far enough to avoid their reach. She moved back a bit further and then swung the whip around her head for a moment to give it momentum. Her strike flew wide of its intended target. Seeing Evendur begin to falter, she reached into her belt pouch and retrieved a hard, mahogany-colored berry about the size of a small grape. “Evendur!” she shouted as she held the berry up for him to see.

Recognizing the berry, Evendur turned away from his attackers, and one of them took the opportunity to stab him in the back. He cried out in agony, but stayed on his feet and rushed toward Shirl. He stayed just outside the reach of the men attacking Shirl in order to avoid another attack directed against him. He took the offered fruit from Shirl and placed it between his teeth. As the berry burst within his mouth, the mystic energies within coursed throughout his body, restoring some of his vigor. Though he was still just as badly injured, he felt a lot more confident now. “Thanks,” he mouthed around the berry as he gripped his staff, ready to take on the rest of them.

The thugs came at them, slashing mercilessly. Evendur’s staff protected him from most of their attacks, and their blades were unable to cut through the stout oak. Shirl did her best to stay out of reach, letting Evendur deal with them up close while she provided support from the rear. Evendur focused his efforts on one foe at a time, beating them relentlessly until their bodies could no longer withstand the assault. First one and then another collapsed beneath the crushing force. Shirl’s whip dagger lashed out again and again, slicing the men even as Evendur dropped them. It was when they were down to two bandits in melee, both wielding knives, that Evendur’s luck ran out once more. A knife punched deep into his chest, causing him to stagger backward and drop his staff. He coughed, and a trickle of blood ran down his chin. Shirl gasped and pulled one of his arms over her shoulder. “Come on!” She pulled him back just as the knives lashed out once more, then the two of them ran down the alleyway and down a corner. A pair of crossbow bolts struck the wall behind them just as they leaped behind cover.

Spotting a stack of crates in the alleyway ahead, Shirl pulled Evendur along toward them. Their enemies nipping at their heels, the two heroes, both beginning to grow fatigued, could barely stay ahead of their pursuers. “Just a bit farther!” Shirl reassured her companion.

Just as their attackers had almost caught up with them, they passed by the crates. Shirl leaped to the side, using the full force of both their bodies to throw the stack out of balance. As she jumped forward with Evendur barely hanging on to her shoulder, the stack of crates fell, crushing one of the pursuers and temporarily halting the other on the opposite side. Shirl dragged Evendur into a dead-end alleyway just as the other two caught up and fired their crossbows. The bolts shattered as they struck a nearby masonry wall head-on.

She turned Evendur to lie flat on his back, seeing with dismay that a great deal of blood had run his chest from the wound. From the look of things, his heart and lungs had been missed, but a major artery had been struck, and he wouldn’t be surviving for long without help. She reached into the bag from which she had retrieved the previous berry and pulled out another one, this one a darker and more strongly red shade. She placed it between his lips and gently commanded, “Eat this.” He did as instructed, and the hole in his chest sealed over within a matter of seconds. “How are you feeling?” she asked worriedly.

Evendur coughed up some more blood and groaned. “Terrible. How many more of those berries you got?” Shirl couldn’t help but smile slightly, despite the circumstances. She pulled the small bag of berries out of her belt pouch and emptied it into his hand. At least a dozen berries fell out. “As many as you need.” She focused her hearing on the alley they had split off of. From the sound of things, the bandits were still pursuing them. “They’ll get through that blockade quickly. What should we do?”

Evendur surprised her when he forced himself to stand, waving off her attempts to stop him. She asked, “Are you sure you should be standing after that injury?”

Evendur put another berry in his mouth. “I’ll be fine now that I’ve been healed,” he mouthed around the juices. “You said you had enough energy for two spells. What can you do with the last one?”

Shirl paused. “I forgot about that last spell during the fight. I can charm, heal, or create an illusory sound. I don’t have the energy to do so at a distance, so I don’t think that’ll be particularly helpful.”

Evendur placed one of the berries to her lips, mostly to stop her from talking. “Hmmm… that does present a problem. Let me think for a moment.” He chewed on one of the berries himself as he pondered. “Could you cast the illusion on a mobile object, then control the spell after it is moved away from you?”

Shirl shook her head. “I can’t control it, but I can anchor the spell on something so I don’t have to be near it anymore. What do you have in mind?”

genshou

First Post
Christmas Update, Part III

The group of cutthroats was now down to four, one of which had been excavated from the stack of crates and was just regaining his senses. The leader was fuming. To be so humiliated by a foppish adventurer and her peasant boyfriend… But no matter. We still outnumber them, and we have the crossbows… Even if the two had healed themselves, they certainly wouldn’t last now that they were trapped. They had finished moving the crates aside, and now they were moving in for the kill…

The blond-headed peasant boy poked his head around the corner, and then threw a pebble at them. It whizzed over their heads harmlessly. The leader and his injured man fired their crossbows in retaliation, but the boy had already gone back around the corner. Suddenly, they heard the sound of armored footfalls from the intersection behind them. “Damn! It’s the town watch!” the leader shouted in alarm. “Let’s split!” The group dashed back to the intersection, intent on heading another way, when they realized the sound was coming from the pebble that had been thrown over their heads. The leader growled and turned around just in time to see Shirl’s cape moving into another alleyway. His men started running after them, but he called them back sharply. Those two would get to a crowded street before his group could catch them. But he wouldn’t forget about that encounter, and if he ever saw those two again…

They would pay for the embarrassment they caused him. Oh, yes…

Evendur and Shirl were both gasping heavily for breath by the time they reached the open street once more. “We got away,” Shirl stated incredulously. “I thought several times over that we were done for.”

Evendur chuckled. “And yet in the end, they were no match for simple wit. Isn’t it amazing what two people and two spells can do?”

Shirl nodded. “If it wasn’t for your advice on using those two spells, we would never have made it out alive. Um, thank you… for your help.”

Evendur smiled broadly. “If it wasn’t for your goodberries, I would have bled to death in an alleyway. Thank you.”

Shirl smiled back at the compliment, then looked around the street, trying to see over the heads of passersby. “But more importantly… where are we?”

Evendur looked around, grateful for the better view that his height of six full feet granted. “Actually, I know exactly where we are. Remember what I told you about awakening in an alleyway a month ago with no memory of how I had gotten there?” Shirl nodded as he paused for an answer before continuing. “Well, that alleyway just so happens to be the dead end in which we were almost killed. Funny how life goes in these strange circles, isn’t it?”

Shirl didn’t think almost being killed (or worse) by a bunch of ruffians was very funny at all, and her face showed it. “Anyway, how far off the mark are we for reaching our intended destination?”

Evendur looked around at the buildings one more time. “It’s another half-mile to the east from here. We should be able to get most of the way just heading down this street. One things for sure–no more alleys.” He glanced back to the one they had exited as he said this, and it seemed almost to be a wicked maw striving to draw him in and consume him. He shuddered and turned back to the street, leading Shirl through the crowd swiftly...

genshou

First Post
Been a little while on updates, I know. I've got the part that got lost in the crash, but I've wanted to wait to write a new update before I put it up. Don't worry, it's on the way and almost finished. I just had to do some reviews first :heh:

genshou

First Post
Just as Evendur had told, they traveled for half a mile on that street, pushing through the throng. The people here were poorer, and beggars teemed along the edges. “We are entering a poor section of the city,” Evendur shouted over the din as they moved to the right side of the street. He was the further of the two from the buildings, weaving his way through the crowd with effortless nimbleness. “I find it odd that a shop like that would exist this far into a slum, don’t you? This ‘Melthym’ must be some sort of strange fellow to place a magic shop in this area. Do you think he’s a powerful magus, or one whose powers are less of use to heroes of legend?”

Shirl ducked beneath a broken sign and then turned her face slightly toward him, her right eye closed slyly. “You think too much… you know that?”

Evendur grinned and winked. “Of course I do! Constant thinking is more than my specialty; why not take advantage of my greatest asset? Besides… someone has to use their brain now and again to cover for everyone who doesn’t.” He indicated the majority of people on the street with a sweeping gesture. “If everyone in the world applied critical thought to their activites a few more times each day, the world would be a much more rational place. Why, just think of what good a keen mind will do for a working man alone! And applied to adventuring, you’ll find my intellect will come in quite handy.”

Shirl laughed for a moment. “I suppose that’s true… but I think most people would be driven insane by your constant thinking.” She nudged him playfully, but woefully overestimated his mass, and he was thrown into the side of a passing cart.

Evendur rebounded painfully. “Ow… careful with that!” As he moved back to Shirl’s side, she noticed something in his palm. He moved his arm between them and cupped his palm so she could see the nectarine held in it.

She narrowed her eyes. “Where did you--oh, so you’re a…” She lowered her voice. “A thief?”

Evendur grimaced. “I really don’t like that word. It’s only a thing or two every now and then, and never anything expensive. Want one? I grabbed two.”

She glanced at his other, open hand. “Where’s the other one? Never mind, I don’t need to know.” She snatched the fruit from his offering hand. “Thanks.” She bit into the succulent, juicy fruit slowly, savouring its freshness. “So… if you don’t like the name ‘thief’, then what do you call yourself?”

Evendur shook his head slowly. “I really don’t know. But I’m no common pickpocket. Hell, I’m not really a thief even in the adventuring sense. I couldn’t disarm a trap designed by an ogre, and I know just enough about lock picking to know I don’t stand a chance.” He paused for oratory effect. “I think of myself as a swashbuckler, nimble, and full of charm. Of course, it’s difficult to really bring about derring-do with only a few silvers to my name.” He brought the other palmed nectarine to his mouth and took a bite. That didn’t stop him from continuing with his explanation. “I’m really more of a warrior than a thief, you know. I have no idea where it comes from, but I know a bit about using staves.”

She smiled. “Yes… you are amazing with that weapon. You know, we’re very similar in that regard. I am also more trained in the ways of war than would seem to be the case. This thing isn’t just for show like it would be for most bards,” she said, pointing down to the bladed whip coiled and sheathed on her belt.

“I noticed,” Evendur remarked as he scanned the street corner they were approaching. “There. See it? Melthym’s Exotic and Esoteric Imports.” It was a small shop, easy to miss if one were to be simply strolling by. But in the window was the buckler Evendur had seen while scrying. “See that? The vision was true after all. Let’s go inside and see what sort of man this Melthym is.”

The door to Melthym’s Exotic and Esoteric Imports was ornate, appearing to have been carved out of ivory, and with intricate detail. There was something… strangely familiar about the runes carved into the door, Evendur noticed. He shrugged and reached out to push the door open, seeing no hinges on the outside and assuming they were on the other side of the door.

A mouth formed in the middle of the door. “Eww! Don’t touch me with those grubby fingers, you unwashed lout!” Evendur jumped back in alarm. “That’s right. You stay away… far away!”

Evendur and Shirl looked around them. No one else seemed to notice the talking door. Shirl gasped. “That’s… strong magic! It’s as if no one else even notices this building exists!”

Evendur grinned. “Oh, so you finally noticed? We are the only ones who see this shop. Judging by the various wards placed on it,” he pointed at the mouth in the door, “its owner doesn’t like to have unexpected visitors.” He turned back to the door. “Well? It’s apparent you don’t want me to touch you, so… I’d suggest you open, and quickly.” He reached out toward the door menacingly, and reaching menacingly to open a door was not something that happened to this door very often.

“Ehhn! No! Keep those unclean hands away!” it shouted, but in vain, for Evendur made no pause. “If you lay hand on me, I shall—“

Evendur interrupted the door. “What will you do? Shout at me some more? Open, or I’ll rub these filthy hands all over you.”

The door squealed in protest and finally gave way just before Evendur touched it. It first slid backward, and then to the side, as though being carried on some sort of track. “Elaborate,” Evendur remarked, impressed with the craftsmanship. Now that the door was open, they could see inside the store. The room within was small, less than twenty feet square, and stuffed with arcane paraphernalia the likes of which the two had never seen. Against one wall were several cloaks and mantles. Lining another was a shelf full of vials containing liquids of all hues. Everything inside the room was arranged according to some perfect organizational scheme. Two unostentatious wooden doors were set in the far wall, leading to rooms further within. There was no sign of the store’s owner.

As soon as the two had entered the building, the door slid into position again behind them. Evendur glanced out the window, then blinked and looked out again. Shirl looked at him in confusion. “Uhh, Evendur? What are you looking at?” She glanced outside, and started when she realized she was gazing not on a Waterdhavian street, but a primaeval landscape of crags and volcanoes (and many craggy volcanoes). “Wow… is that… an illusion?”

Her question was never answered, however, because the two were interrupted by the sound of one of the interior doors creaking open to reveal a tall, thin, and frail elderly man with slicked-back white hair and a well-groomed goatee. Though his manner of dress was immaculate, with his spotless white robes, his deep-set cyan eyes carried a spark of madness. “Well, well,” he mused in a voice akin to that of Christopher Lee. “More intruders? I can’t say this is entirely unexpected. Very well… let’s begin!” He lifted his mouth in an expression of wicked glee, as his hands twisted in arcane gestures. As he gestured, a regular triangle inscribed in a circle appeared in the air in front of him, formed of some sort of black energy…

genshou

First Post
Evendur held up his hands in protest. “Hey, w-wait a minute!” The old man finished his spell, but held the pulsating black energy back, its vileness emanating from one feeble fist. Evendur swallowed and continued, “We’re not intruders; we came here because of this!” He reached into his clothing and pulled out the amulet. Seeing the look of recognition on the old man’s face, he smirked. “I don’t suppose you’d happen to be knowing anything about it, would you? No need to ask, really. Your face gives me my answer.”

The old wizard leaned forward slightly. “Where… where did you… how? I haven’t seen that amulet in… well, in a very long time. How did you obtain it? And how did you get here, to this world?” He took two steps forward, entirely forgetting the spell charged within his hand as he reached out, though he was much too far away to touch the amulet. “I had… I had thought it lost to the shadowy fog.”

Evendur lowered his gaze to the amulet. “No, it’s… it’s here, same as I am. I don’t know why, but I was hoping you could tell me more about it.” He closed his fist around the amulet for a moment and then pulled his arm back as if to throw. “You might want to stop whatever spell you’ve got going, though, if it can harm the amulet.” Evendur waited until the black energy disappeared from around the old man’s hand before he tossed the amulet into them. “Since there’s some kind of magic in it, and you’ve got a buckler that looks just like it in your display window, I actually came here to see if I could pawn it off.”

Shirl gasped. “B-but Evendur! That amulet, it’s… it’s the only like you have to–“

Evendur help up a hand to interrupt her. “The amulet has served its purpose. It led me to that inn, and then it led me to you. For some reason, I feel its role in my life is over. If it’s worth some cash I can actually afford all the gear a real adventurer needs, so why not get rid of it?”

Evendur turned, surprised, as the old man began to quietly chuckle. “No, youngling, I don’t believe its role in your life is over just yet. Perhaps I should tell you about the history of this artifact…”

genshou

First Post
Sadly, Pledge of Tyranny didn't end up going nearly as far as I had planned due to a decreasing amount of interest by the player combined with the difficulty of arranging for gaming time when my job was being bad in ways I can't adequately describe on a granny-friendly board. The only good thing about this is that I am now free to continue this Story Hour as 100% narrative without ever switching over to the PC, so Evendur and Shirl just became the main characters of the story!

And, here's a small portion of that update. More to come after you've had a chance to re-re-re-re-re-re-read what I've just added back onto the thread.

Remove ads