pneumatik's WotBS 1 - The Scouring of Gate Pass

Arkhandus

First Post
Liiros nods and urges 'his' horse forward, at the front of the group with Torrent since she's the one who supposedly knows the way. The look and smell of the Fire Forest is distracting, and while he isn't a particularly woodsy elf, he nonetheless cares about nature and wonders if it's natural for the Fire Forest to be this way.

Rhun

First Post
Hollister rides in the second rank, behind Liiros, his attention focused on the Fire Forest in front of them. As a mage who has spent his life devoted to learning the secrets of the flames, Hollister was most interested in seeing the continuously burning fires of the place.

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
"I'm the human surrounded by waves," Torrent says. "I'm a priestess of Osprem. I haven't been near water in a while, though, and from the looks of that place I won't be anytime soon, either."

As the party prepares to cross into the fire forest, Torrent begins to pull potion vials out of her pack. "These are potions of stand the heat. They won't protect us from actual open flames, but at least the general heat in the forest shouldn't hurt us. Based on the best maps I could find, we have to go 17 miles through that inferno. I brought enough potions to get seven people through that. I have a little cushion, but not enough to get everyone's horses through. With one fewer person we could take one horse at most. Assuming we nothing happens that traps us in the forest for longer than I planned." She grimaces, then dismounts and starts collecting her equipment from her horse.

Once the party is generally dismounted and protected from the heat you cross the bridge. Though magic protects your skin against burn, you can still feel the intense, withering heat carried in terrible blasts from the trees, and you smell the acrid smoke as you enter and it envelops you, arms of black and orange embracing your party. The thick banks of smoke mean that you can’t often see more than an arm’s length in front of you, but the fierce, dry wind often blows these banks away. Powered by backdrafts and dramatic valley winds, the gusts snatch at loose pieces of clothing. During the lulls in the wind, as the massive lungs of the forest take breath, fingers of flame reach out from the smoldering undergrowth, pawing and caressing the hems of clothing and the ropes and backpacks, always threatening to grab hold and ignite an inescapable inferno. In front of you, the only thing that distinguishes the Elfroad from the surrounding territory is its relative lack of undergrowth, exposing the blackened char-rock where once the elves of Innenotdar carried their families.

Your eyes sting with tears, your nostrils burn, your hands draw back instinctively, as if touching a boiling pot. As if diving into a dragon’s fiery maw, you have entered the Fire Forest of Innenotdar.

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
Liiros sighs and dismounts, removing what little he had stowed on it, and then turns the horse around and slaps it on the rear to send it away, back towards what passes for civilization in this cold, rocky land.

"I suppose we have no choice. Let's hurry through the Fire Forest as quickly as possible," he urges. Looking down at the shield upon his arm, the elf grumbles and unstraps it, stowing it across his back. "Too bad my shield is wooden. Won't be any good if a stray wisp of flame catches on it," he laments.

Liiros draws his longsword once he's tied his backpack, shield, and other gear as closely to his body as possible, to minimize the risk of catching fire. Once the group is ready, Liiros marches along the road and bats away or hacks off any small burning branches or the like that stick out too far.

ooc: What time of day is it by the time we reach the Fire Forest?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Accepting Torrent's potion Shaylir smiles and says, "I hope you can be near your water soon. I hope we all can."

Shaylir then drinks the potion and hands the vial back to the priestess. Walking over to a sparse bush she bends down and calls to it. "Come on Fritz, they are the people we were sent to meet. We need to be going."

Leaping from the bush is a red-coated fox, it's black paws and white tipped tail it's only other colors. It crouches behind Shaylir keeping her between him and the party. "It's ok," she says patting the animals head. "Sometimes you still act like a puppy you know that."

As the party moves along the heat takes it's effect on poor Fritz and Shaylir hurriedly cast her own spell on the fox.

[sblock=OOC] Got rid of the thunderstone before I posted Shaylir to the RG. Needed the 30gp for Stand the Heat spells but wanted to ask if it is alright to say they have already been tempered in a fire for an hour, Shaylir probably did this as she waited for the party to arrive. Your call DM [/sblock]

Arkhandus

First Post
(just a bump to make sure this doesn't get deleted any time soon. still need this thread for reference later as we continue the campaign.)

Remove ads