• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pogre's New Story Hour with Mini pics - (12/7 The Final Update)

pogre

Legend
Broccli_Head said:
Love the Umber Hulk mini!

And the story!

Thanks! The Umber Hulk was painted as a favor by a close personal friend, Marc. The amazing thing is years ago I was the one who got him into miniatures and now he's the master painter. I use very few miniatures painted by others, but anytime I can get some off of Marc, I take advantage.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
pogre said:
Thanks! The Umber Hulk was painted as a favor by a close personal friend, Marc.

How long's it been since Marc played some D&D?

Doesn't he know an umber hulk's supposed to have FOUR eyes? Looks like he painted right over the second set of eyes!

Wulf

pogre

Legend
Wulf Ratbane said:
How long's it been since Marc played some D&D?

Doesn't he know an umber hulk's supposed to have FOUR eyes? Looks like he painted right over the second set of eyes!

Wulf

heh, probably around 1984 or so - I didn't even notice.

pogre

Legend
Episode 32
Double Cross

Quarion quickly retreated from the larger chamber back to his companions. “It’s coming!” he whispered hoarsely. The group took up battle positions as a scraping noise reverberated through the hall.

The scraping of rock became louder and louder and the anticipation and tenseness of the group increased exponentially. An explosion of rock and debris showered forth from the wall. There, towering, over Quarion was the Umberhulk!

The multifaceted hulk’s eyes fixed upon Quarion’s and the elf was lost in confusion. Spying the rogue lowering his weapon his compatriots rushed to his aid.

The only advantage Quarion now offered the party was the monster’s pre-occupation with him. Gjord and Gerhardt stuck their weapons deeply into the beast, spilling rancid green ichor around the floor. The beast, though wounded, kept its attentions on hapless Quarion.

Quarion drooled dumbly as the beast lowered its great mandibles down towards him. The hulk waited just an instance, as though enjoying the anticipation of a kill. The momentary respite was over quickly as two savage talons sliced out and left the elf broken and bleeding on the floor.

Renewed attacks for Gerhardt, Gjord, and Inga seemed to remind the hulk it was not alone. Further, many deep wound had been struck deeply into its carapace. Adding to its pain were the numerous arrows that flashed through the air burying into his torso.

The monstrosity had realized its dire situation too slowly and now the continuous blows took their effect and it fell dead.

Hilde ran to aid Quarion and Gerhardt ran to the fallen Umberhulk’s position. Hilde exclaimed, “He’s still breathing.” She recited a prayer and Quarion’s eyes came alive with life again.

Gerhardt began savagely hacking at the Umberhulk’s neck creating a vile puddle of ichor. Finally he pulled the head loose from the body and gave a cry, “A worthy trophy.”

“It should be,” Quarion called weakly, “It almost cost me my life.”

“An elf for a fine hunting trophy,” Gerhardt smiled. “A trade I would make any day.” He stuffed the Umberhulk head into a large sack, “Besides this trophy is going to make us rich!”

…..

“We need to follow this trail. Those creatures were not natural. More people could die.” Gjord had argued for 20 minutes with his comrades about following a trail left by some goat-beastmen that had apparently escaped.

“Villages that cannot protect themselves deserve what they get,” Gerhardt countered. “We have a pay day calling our name. Right after we get paid I’m all for chasing these beastmen down.”

“Someone approaches,” Quarion announced.

“It is a large group,” E’lissar confirmed.

Almost as if on cue a contingent of heavily armed men, some on horseback approached the village remains. “Throw down your arms!” a man on horseback called.

“Stick it in your…” Gerhardt began.

“Who are you?” Gjord interrupted.

A group of four men carrying a footcab approached. The curtains parted and a man in regal purple robes step forth and brush dust from his garments. “I am Hallerian, John Hallerian. Now that we our introduced, I would ask that you recognize your trespass and throw down your arms.”

“Hey, Hallerian you owe us 2,500 gold,” Gerhardt yelled.

“Indeed?” Hallerian replied. A bemused smirk crossed the lord’s face. “How is that?”

“We cleared this salt mine,” Gerhardt replied.

“Who are you?” Hallerian asked.

“Your Lordship,” Hilde began. “I think this is a case of miscommunication. We received a task from your messenger.”

“What messenger?” Hallerian asked.

“Uh oh,” Gjord sighed.

Hilde described the messenger woman and her message.

“How interesting,” Hallerian replied. “That same woman was the one who told me our mines were under siege. As a matter of fact she described a group very much like yourselves.”

“A double-cross,” Inga muttered.

“Where are the villagers?” the man on horseback asked.

“They were killed by beastmen,” Gjord ansewered.

“By what?” Hallerian asked.

“Strange beastmen, as a matter of fact I was just trying to talk the rest of these folks into going and investigating where they came from,” Gjord answered.

“Show me one,” Hallerian demanded.

“We burned their filthy corpses,” Gerhardt replied. “Now about this payment…”

“Likely story,” the man on horseback retorted.

“What of the mine?” Hallerian asked.

Gerhardt had anticipated the question and pulled forth the Umberhulk’s head from the sack. “You can look at the rest of him up there in the mine. He shredded your salt miners. Now, about the 2,500 gold you owe me.”

Hallerian was obviously repulsed by the beast’s head Gerhardt was swinging around non-chalantly. “Good lord man, put that abomination away.”

Gerhardt smiled and began stuffing the head back into the sack. When he was certain Hallerian was watching, Gerhardt gave the Umberhulk’s head a kiss and let it plop to the bottom of the sack. “Alright, we cleaned out your mine. Now, I’m looking to get paid.”

“His lordship made no contract. He owes you nothing,” the man on horseback replied.

“Well it seems to me his lordship got some trouble taken care of here by us. If his lordship isn’t paying for that service I’m going to set things right and give his lordship some trouble.” Gerhardt drew his scimitar loudly from his scabbard.

Instantly the men on horseback lowered their lances and the men-at-arms closed ranks around Hallerian and drew weapons.

Hilde stepped between the parties, “This is not necessary. Lord Hallerian made no contract. Some unknown party duped us. Gerhardt sheath your sword and apologize.”

Gerhardt dropped his scimitar to his side, “I’m sorry I did not get to cut some of your pretty boys to ribbons to show you how poorly protected you are.”

“Apology accepted,” Hallerian said merrily. The lord’s men growled at Gerhardt’s insult. “Tell me sister, what of the villagers? Did you burn them as well?”

“They are buried on that knoll in sanctified graves,” Hilde answered.

“That brash young man is right. I do owe you a debt of thanks. Perhaps together we can investigate whom this mysterious woman is that went to so much trouble to put us at odds? In any case I shall reward you.”

“Good man,” Gerhardt piped up.

“You have my vow to pay you 3% of the mine’s profits for the next five years.”

“Thank you my lord. That’s overly generous,” Hilde replied.

“How much is that?” Gerhardt asked.

“It could be as much as 400 gold per year if things go smoothly, but you may have to help me there. I need new miners and protection for the village.”

“What’s 400 over 5 years?” Gerhardt asked Quarion.

“2,000,” Quarion responded.

“How about 500 gold up front for services?” Gerhardt blurted out.

“Gerhardt! Be still!” Hilde reprimanded.

Lord Hallerian just shook his head.

“Fine,” Gerhardt whispered to Quarion. “We’ll see how much protection is worth next time his lordship gets a village wiped out.”

Quarion whispered back, “What do you mean ‘next time’?”

“Next time,” Gerhardt smiled and patted his scimitar.

Quarion just shook his head.

To be continued…

Last edited:

pogre said:
“Fine,” Gerhardt whispered to Quarion. “We’ll see how much protection is worth next time his lordship gets a village wiped out.”

Quarion whispered back, “What do you mean ‘next time’?”

“Next time,” Gerhardt smiled and patted his scimitar.

Gerhardt- always thinking ahead. :)

MysticMayham

First Post
What happened to ranin? Was he a tragedy of Gerhardt hatered of elves, or was he killed buy gerhardts fear of the elves rebelling against him?

Malystrx

First Post
MysticMayham said:
What happened to ranin? Was he a tragedy of Gerhardt hatered of elves, or was he killed buy gerhardts fear of the elves rebelling against him?

Oh us elves haven't rebelled.........yet

E'lissar

pogre

Legend
For those who are curious - I am in the process of changing servers and domains. My picture hosting will be down for a short time - thanks for your patience.

pogre

Legend
OK - pics are back up and running on a temp server. I will use it until my domain and server are ready to go. Thanks for your patience!

Remove ads