• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Polearm master for Adventurer's League - lvl3-4

PeteZero

First Post
Please help me to decide on my polearm master for AL. I have a few approaches, but no 100% idea how they would play out. I expect to get to lvl4, as I will play a lot of the longer Expedition adventures soon.

So 1ST:
Human Paladin (Oath of Vengeance)
STR16, Dex 8, CON 14, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 16
Feats: Polearm master and Great Weapon Master or Sentinel at level 4.
I see the lay on hands as useful, then smites, and with advantage Great Weapon Master should work, or sentinel to stop some attacks. If sentinel, then maybe use shield and quarterstaff instead?

Human Fighter1/Warlock3
Feats: Polearm master (at 5th would take Heavy Armor Master or Great Weapon Master or Sentinel)
Fiend pact
Spells: Hex, Armor of Agathys

Human Paladin3/Warlock1
Feats: Polearm master (at 5th would take Heavy Armor Master or Great Weapon Master or Sentinel)
Fiend pact
Spells: Armor of Agathys or Hex
Would delay the feat, but temp hp from fiend pact

One problem I do see is, they all have low AC, only 16. Unless I go quarterstaff + shield
Would have higher survivability.

My problem how valuable are short rests? Are they happen often?
All builds I guess have pros and cons, but as I have only played 5th Edition once, I have difficulties to decide…..

Grumbleputty

Explorer
I created a similar paladin, 3rd lvl with Polearm Master and Sentinel (DM had us all start with an extra feat). I had stomach flu the first time we played, so a friend of mine ran my character, but one thing the party commented on was that, as the only human in the party, I was the only one who needed a light source in the dungeon- and with a two-handed weapon, I couldn't carry one!

My goal now is either to pick up some basic wizard spellcasting next time I get to pick a feat, so I can cast Light on my polearm as needed, and possibly to dump my chainmail in favor of a breastplate, freeing up some weight ( we play with moderately strict encumbrance) so I can carry a longsword for when I need to tote my own light source.

I'll be playing this character Saturday night- I'll let you know if I have any insights

Llokii

First Post
I'm playing a fighter/warlock now(blade pact, fiend), and I really like it so far. Went human variant, polearm master at level 1 and took sentinel at 4. First turn put up Armor of Agathys and Hex and move up. Let them come to you, use sentinel and polearm reaction to stop them at 10' out with an OA, or if you miss or they hit you, Armor of Agathys will deal some damage to them.

I'm planning on going Battlemaster fighter combined with it, for additional control (goading strike and pushing attack), additional reactions (riposte and parry), and distracting strike(most likely). I'm really finding this build to be good all around.

I'm leveling as such
1 Fighter (gives you con/str save bonus, heavy armor, and marital weapons) (take pole arm master)
5 Warlock (3 invocations, pact blade, 2 3rd level spell slots and 6 spells known) (take sentinel at 4th level)

At this point, you now have 2 attacks with pact weapon (glaive/halberd/pike), Hex or pole butt attack (1d4+modifier), 1 reaction (10' reach), and Armor of Agathys. Also, you have Eldritch Blast as a ranged attack.

Honestly, don't even worry about your AC being low. You get temp HP from Armor, temp HP when you kill something, decent AC, and if melee hits you, you will deal 10 damage back to them at this level (level 2 spell slot). Take Fiendish Vigor as an invocation (not at level 5 though) if you want to be able to put up more temp HP as an at will. It's low level cast (level 1), but it's 8 temp HP.

Personally, I'm looking at either 6 fighter/14 warlock or 8 fighter/12 warlock (undecided as of this moment). Basically, once you have fighter to level 4 and warlock at 5, alternate leveling between the 2 (4 warlock levels then 2 fighter levels) for the ability score boosts/feats.

Grumbleputty

Explorer
Ok, I ran my 3rd lvl Human Paladin (Oath of Vengeance, Great Weapon Fighting, PoleArm Master, Sentinel) last night, and the results were promising. I think Llokii is right, don't worry about AC too much- especially with Sentinel and Vow of Enmity , you have a lot of control over who gets close to you. When an opponent does get close, you can deal out a ton of damage with re-rolls of 1 or 2 on damage and Divine Smite - plus don't forget the extra 1d4 from polearm master.

One important point- choose your spells carefully! Somatic and Material components will be an issue with a two-handed weapon in combat. Try to pick spells with just a verbal component, choose spells you'll use outside of combat, or just use your spell slots for Divine Smiting. Same goes for torches/lanterns, etc- try to get a spellcasting buddy to throw a Light cantrip your way.

PeteZero

First Post
Thank you, gives me at least an idea. Will go with pure paladin first then and pick up sentinel. But probably defense fighting style. As you get the re-roll only for weapon attacks, according to the sage.

jpbogossian

First Post
I personally like Quarterstaff and Shield more. As Warlock you can go Pact of the Tome and get Shilellagh so that you only need to focus on one stat. And sometimes having 10 feet range isn't that great, enemies can move around you more freely without receiving attack of opportunities.

jpbogossian

First Post
Ok, I ran my 3rd lvl Human Paladin (Oath of Vengeance, Great Weapon Fighting, PoleArm Master, Sentinel) last night, and the results were promising. I think Llokii is right, don't worry about AC too much- especially with Sentinel and Vow of Enmity , you have a lot of control over who gets close to you. When an opponent does get close, you can deal out a ton of damage with re-rolls of 1 or 2 on damage and Divine Smite - plus don't forget the extra 1d4 from polearm master.

One important point- choose your spells carefully! Somatic and Material components will be an issue with a two-handed weapon in combat. Try to pick spells with just a verbal component, choose spells you'll use outside of combat, or just use your spell slots for Divine Smiting. Same goes for torches/lanterns, etc- try to get a spellcasting buddy to throw a Light cantrip your way.

I agree that if you have a weapon and a shield casting spells with Somatic components is tricky since you have to drop the weapon every turn, but you can cast them with a Two-Handed weapon as long as you are only holding the weapon and not attacking with it. That would technically mean however, that you wouldn't get opportunity attacks since you don't have the weapon ready, but that is up to the DM.

Dastion

First Post
It should be noted that the Polearm Master + Sentinel combo doesn't work as you expect. The reach property of pole arms only applies while you're attacking - so for opportunity attack purposes your reach is still only 5ft.

This also means that Archers can't simply move away from you and shoot you without disadvantage - which they could if the reach property was always on.

jpbogossian

First Post
It should be noted that the Polearm Master + Sentinel combo doesn't work as you expect. The reach property of pole arms only applies while you're attacking - so for opportunity attack purposes your reach is still only 5ft.

This also means that Archers can't simply move away from you and shoot you without disadvantage - which they could if the reach property was always on.

You're right. I thought I had read a dev say it was permanent reach, but I guess I got it backwards.

Grumbleputty

Explorer

That's an interesting question- I don't have my PHB in front of me, but reading it last night the text for the reach property refers to "when attacking", not the more specific "when using an attack action" they usually use when they want to specifically tie something to the attack action during a players' turn. In the "opportunity attack" section in combat there's no reference I could find to reach not applying.

It's possible there's some clarification from the designers somewhere that states it clearly, but I can see a case for both arguments. Our DM so far has allowed me to use the reach for opportunity attacks, but I'll point him towards Dastion's post and let him make the call.

As far as the archer statement, I'm not sure I understand that one: isn't the disadvantage on ranged weapon attacks just down to whether you're within 5' or not, regardless of the reach of the target?

Remove ads