• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Politics interfering with gaming

WayneLigon

Adventurer
We had to have an ENworld-like 'No Politics' rule at the table, because none of us are capable of discussing our political feelings with anything approaching clarity and reasonableness. Even outside of the game, we only make a few such comments to each other; we just avoid the topic completely.

Hellhound's situation is.. a little different. I would have to say 'talk to him about it'. He might in fact be unaware it's hurtful to you. Being told it is might make him stop, and see why his behavior is wrong.

Shadowbane2

First Post
I discuss politics quite frequently, and am quite passionate about my beliefs, but for some odd reason, i've never disussed politics with a gaming group. None of us have ever tried to avoid discussion, it just never comes up. Ever. Same thing with my good friends. Sort of strange. :)

Mercule

Adventurer
Rackhir said:
I would have guessed extreme capitalist based on your "Sniper's Roost" mention, in your description, but I think the Ronald Regan quote in your sig is probably a dead give away on that question. :D

The "Sniper Roost" actually comes from the way my attic is set up. One of my friends said that it'd make a great gun tower if I ever went insane. I used to have my computer up there. Otherwise, erm... not to subtle, I guess.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Hound-dog,

I feel you man. Some times it just doesn't work out, especially when the person you game with, you don't respect.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Out of game, politics comes up a fair bit with some RPers I know. Which is OK by me, for the record.

In game though, *never*. It's best that way.

The out of game stuff though, it hasn't ever impacted (negatively) on roleplaying or the relationships in general. Everyone is mature enough (or at least smart enough?) not to let it get in the way of freindships and fun. I can't see the point of allowing it to, to be honest. If people want to debate politics, cool - it happens, and at times quite passionately. Sometimes I'll even pitch in. But yeah, afterward, people just have to remember who they are, how they know each other, things they've been through together - i.e., more important things (in this context) than any amount or kinds of ideologies.

Oh and to add a bit more detail too, there is a fair spectrum of views among us, from quite conservative to fairly liberal and so on. Doesn't matter, in the long run.

Hussar

Legend
Actually had this problem in a campaign that I was unaware of. :(

Found out later, after the campaign had ended and the players gone their separate ways. These guys played together for about a year and a half, and every time I was out of the room, they'd start blasting away at eachother on politics. I found out later that a couple of them had actually left the game because they thought it was so toxic.

I had no idea. :(

My new bunch is much better. No problems this time around.

So, yeah, Hellhound, I can appreciate what you're saying. If it goes beyond a bit of discussion and into outright harassment, then, it's probably best to give it a pass. If you're not having fun, do something different.

hexgrid

Explorer
Take the high ground- when the other guy brings up politics, just smile and nod. The only thing compelling you to respond is pride. Arguing back doesn't serve any practical or moral purpose, you're just butting heads, and furthering the disruption of the game.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Every boy and every gal that's born into the world alive
is either a little liberal or else a little conservative.
-Gilbert and Sullivan

Steven Pinker, in The Blank Slate, speculates that our political opinions are partially heritable, based in part on which of several modules of social comprehension we have (e.g., whether we tend to suspect other people of altruism or tend to suspect other people of greed). It's a fascinating idea, and I can easily see how it could carry over into D&D: when you're roleplaying, you're doing your best to guess at how fictional characters behave, based on your intuition about how real people behave. If your intuition differs from that of your fellow players or (worse) GM, there's potential for conflict.

Other than that, though, I think it's a good idea to keep politics out of gaming whenever possible.

Daniel

WizarDru

Adventurer
Most of my players and I are of a political set, to a point. We disagree on specifics, and I have gamed with folks who are much more conservative and much more liberal.

And it had ZERO effect on our gaming. Occasionally, someone will want to take a sidetrack in-game about politics, but anything more than a comment gets put to the side very quickly and we move on. Over the years, we've had friendly discussions for a few minutes before or sometimes even during...but once the dice start rollling, we have better things to do.

Treebore said:
What is CM? I have been looking for a good, but friendly, place to discuss politics in a mature manner.
http://www.circvsmaximvs.com

I heartily recommend it for ENW who want to go a little further. Mostly because just about everything there is an ENW.
WizarDru said:
Most of my players and I are of a political set, to a point. We disagree on specifics, and I have gamed with folks who are much more conservative and much more liberal.

And it had ZERO effect on our gaming. Occasionally, someone will want to take a sidetrack in-game about politics, but anything more than a comment gets put to the side very quickly and we move on. Over the years, we've had friendly discussions for a few minutes before or sometimes even during...but once the dice start rollling, we have better things to do.
I can honestly say that I'm not entirely sure what the politics of the guys in my group are. And I consider them pretty good friends; we certainly don't get together "just to game." In fact, we often get so sidetracked by off-topic chatting, that we don't get much gaming done at all.

Last edited:

Remove ads