• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Politics interfering with gaming

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
My old group was composed of people with similar political leanings, so it wasn't a big deal. My current group, I don't know them well enough, so have avoided the topic.

But outside of gaming, I worked with a guy several years ago and we shared an office. His is a great guy and I truly miss working with him, but we were polar opposites politically. During the run-up to a major geo-political event a little more than three years ago, we had some seriously heated arguements in that office. Our boss came and talked to us one day and we both told her that there was nothing to worry about because we understood how to put it aside and remain friends.

Best thing about it was that we both were the type to try and articulate good arguements for our respective position, rather than just scream rhetoric at each other. I know I learned a lot about how people on "the other side" saw the issues and developed a better understanding of that position. It didn't change my own views and I don't think I change his in any significant way, but it was worth every heated moment.

The Cardinal

First Post
I don't even understand how anyone manages to call a person with radically different (i.e. opposed) politcal & ethical positions a "friend" - an aquaintance, yeah, but "friend"?
However, I *can* usually ignore the religious believes of most people - as long as they're not going down some kind of fundamentalist road...

tzor

First Post
Politics and even religion has never bothered me at the table. I will get annoyed at what I call third person politics and religion (ie. what "they" believe; what you beieve is one thing, what you think they believe is probably more often than not wrong, just as what I think you believe is probably more often than not wrong and this applies to more things than just religioun and politics) but never to the breaking point.

erc1971

Explorer
Politics messing up a D&D game? I could see a Cyberpunk game, but a D&D game?

This is generally why I keep political rulers in 1 of 3 categories:
1: the kind and benevelant paladin type that has cute bunny rabbits following him around
2: the evil guy who deals with undead and/or demons and enslaves his people
3: #2 masquerading as #1

This way I don't have to worry about my group breaking down because some players think a per horse road tax is better than a per person tax, while others think the opposite. I keep all politics very black and white.

Stay away from anything resembling real world politics, and you should be fine.

Arnwyn

First Post
HellHound said:
Have you ever had politics get in the way of gaming?
No. My friends/peer group are all pretty much (not totally, but pretty much) on the same page when it comes to politics (I guess that's one of the reasons why they're my peer group...) In any case, if it comes up enough to be noticeable, then they're probably not someone who'd I want to associate with.

Have you ever dropped a group or just a player due to politics?
No, but I would. And I wouldn't think twice about it.

An interesting and timely thread, considering the current political climate in Canada...

Voadam

Legend
My main gaming group is made up of friends. We have known each other since preschool and have gamed together since grade school. We have widely divergent religious beliefs, political views, and even views about scientific issues such as evolution. It has never become acrimonius though. Other gaming groups I've been in I've never really known the religious and political views of the people, even the ones I considered good friends. It just did not come up.

However in a gaming situation the in game rp of different views is usually fine, what matters is DM interpretation of evil acts for paladins and such. That is the main place such disagreements can come into the picture IMV, where it has game effects.

However gaming is for fun and if this interaction gets to be frustrating then you should weigh whether it can change and whether it is worth dealing with.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The Cardinal said:
I don't even understand how anyone manages to call a person with radically different (i.e. opposed) politcal & ethical positions a "friend" - an aquaintance, yeah, but "friend"?

It isn't all that difficult. After all, how often do political and ethical positions directly impact social gatherings? I'm not talking about "come up in conversation", I mean become relevant to the social interaction - does immigration policy actually change how you hold a birthday party? Does the existiance of a death penalty in your state change whether you go bowling or see a movie?

If the issues don't actually touch on what you do in day-to-day social interaction, then it is possible to ignore (or not even know about) differences of opinion on such matters. The question is - does the person have value to you and/or connect with you beyond those differences of opinion? If so, you can be friends.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Umbran said:
It isn't all that difficult. After all, how often do political and ethical positions directly impact social gatherings? I'm not talking about "come up in conversation", I mean become relevant to the social interaction - does immigration policy actually change how you hold a birthday party? Does the existiance of a death penalty in your state change whether you go bowling or see a movie?

If the issues don't actually touch on what you do in day-to-day social interaction, then it is possible to ignore (or not even know about) differences of opinion on such matters. The question is - does the person have value to you and/or connect with you beyond those differences of opinion? If so, you can be friends.
Ethics might be harder to ignore than political views (they are not necessarily related), but otherwise I agree completely. My friend from my former job is a wonderful father, generous person, and conscientious worker. I enjoyed hanging out with him and his family.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
At some point I realized that many folks with political persuasions very different from mine were at their heart very decent people, really doing their best to live ethical, kind lives, and basing their efforts off a deeply-considered and thoughtful political perspective. Once I realized that, it became a lot easier for me to be friends with folks with different politics.

There are some folks with different politics whose politics are ignorant and ill-considered, of course--but then, that's just as true for folks with political positions similar to mine. I'm likelier to be friends with a thoughtful political opponent than with a thoughtless political ally.

There are limits, natch. I don't count any neo-Nazis among my friends, and I cannot imagine than I ever will. No spokesman for the Taliban is ever invited to join one of my games. :(

Daniel

Jedi_Solo

First Post
The Cardinal said:

Quite easily. There was this one guy I was good friends with through Jr High and High School. I've gamed with him and is a recurring PC in our current group (he lives in a different state but visits from time to time).

Through School the two of us found that (for the most part) we like the same movies, watch the same TV shows and read the same books. We took the same classes and were in band class together. However, there is no way we are going to agree regarding politics and religion.

Fortunately, when we are there to game, we are there to game. We have had heated discussions before and after gaming. But never during gaming. After all, he doesn't live in the area so he doesn't game with us that often. So when he's there to game we are going to game.

Remove ads