D&D 5E [Poll] Do You Like The Direction D&DN Is Heading In?

Now that the major, load bearing mechanics of the core system for D&D Next is pretty much set in

• Absolutely Fantastic

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Pretty Good So Far

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • I'm Ambivalent

Votes: 51 21.6%
  • Not Really A Fan

Votes: 49 20.8%
  • Bloody Awful

Votes: 22 9.3%

• Poll closed .

Ratskinner

Adventurer
<snippage>... But WotC is definitely going to need to do a LOT of PR on this as they get closer to release. Advertising the Basic Rules for new gamers is easy, but they are going to have to hit the forums hard and give example after example of how DM's and Player's of any style can use D&D Next to play the game they want to play. In other words: They're making an awesome RPG tool, but they are going to need to do a lot of fan education on how to use it.

B-)

I definitely support this notion. The hardest part will be keeping it all straight and clear for the readers. I don't know how many times someone has told me that they are "in it for the story", only to quickly discover that they are actually a pretty straightforward gamist. Not that that's a bad thing, but "Gamer, know thyself!"

Ap0c4lyptyc

First Post
I plan on trying it out whenever they get everything done, if I can find a play group in my area that is. At first I HATED 4e just from having read things about it. I came into D&D with AD&D 2nd edition and played heavily with 3e and 3.5e, so I kind of counted it out without having played it. There are still glaring flaws in some of the mechanics for me but house rules can fix just about anything right? So I've decided not to pass judgement on D&D Next until I have the opportunity to play the finished product.

DC(23)

Ajar

Explorer
Ambivalent. I'm only reading the packets, not playing them, but I'm concerned that they're throwing the 4E baby out with the bathwater.

triqui

Adventurer
I like it so far. It's far from finished and polished (damage output is too big), but it's cool.

I find incredibly funny that some people don't like it because it's too 4th edition, and some people don't like it because it's too little 4th edition. I guess those people really like either 4th edition, or some other edition (probably 3.X), so they already have what they want. The fact that some people find it too 4e and some other too little 4e (or too much 3e or too little 3e, or whatever other editiion you might think of) is, IMHO, a good sign

D'karr

Adventurer
The fact that some people find it too 4e and some other too little 4e (or too much 3e or too little 3e, or whatever other editiion you might think of) is, IMHO, a good sign

It is a very interesting quirk. Then again DDN might be the unification edition, it might unify all in their hate for the edition.

Pleasing all of the people all the time is going to be a very tall order. I sincerely hope it works for WotC and they get it "right".

triqui

Adventurer
Interesting the Poll itself would suggest that people are liking what they see for the most part. And yet the written responses would suggest the opposite.

I myself like the direction they are taking and look forward for more.

That's pretty much a standard thing in human behaviour. When somebody goes to a Hotel and finde a cockroach in the soup are probably going to write it in his Facebook status, write a letter to the newspaper, shout it to every people they find, and ask for a customer claim form to make their discomfort visible. The other 9.999 customers that absolutely loved the Hotel are not going to be so vocal about it.

That the minority that don't like it is much more vocal than the majority that does, isn't really anything new.

Raith5

Adventurer
I like it so far. It's far from finished and polished (damage output is too big), but it's cool.

I find incredibly funny that some people don't like it because it's too 4th edition, and some people don't like it because it's too little 4th edition. I guess those people really like either 4th edition, or some other edition (probably 3.X), so they already have what they want. The fact that some people find it too 4e and some other too little 4e (or too much 3e or too little 3e, or whatever other editiion you might think of) is, IMHO, a good sign

But only if both groups are willing to put their money on the table...

Ahnehnois

First Post
Personally, I'm pretty close to done with spending money on rpgs. I have tons of great stuff, and I write better stuff than I can buy at this point. I'd have to be blown out of the water to buy another D&D.

Don't get me wrong, I'd sure like that to be that impressed, but I'm struggling to see anything worthwhile in these playtest documents.

triqui

Adventurer
Only if you think you can acomplish the feat to bring to the table both the very vocal 4e 4vengers and the very vocal 3e h4ters.
For those more in the middleground, the fact that somepeople think it's too much like 4e and some others it's too little like 4e, means it's a compromise. Assuming those who think it's too much 4e and those who think the opposite really want either a 4e-clone, or something without any bit of 4e in it, it means it has *Some* things of 4e, which is a good thing for an edition whose goal is to attempt to have the best parts of every editiion.

It's like in politics: if the very conservative think a law is too liberal, and the very liberal think a law is too conservative, chances are the law isn't either too conservative or too liberal. You can't please everybody, but the sure thing is that if you please the guys in one extreme, you'll disgust everybody else.

Remove ads