• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Poll: Is it rude for a sidelined player to leave the session?

If a player is sidelined with nothing to do for an extended period, is it rude for him or her to lea

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'd go so far as to say that it is extremely rude to expect a sidelined character to stay at the table. Their time doesn't belong to the group. If they aren't involved in the game, why should they hang around and...not be allowed to participate in the group activity they came for?

If it's a short thing, sure, they should stick around, but if it's going to be the rest of the session, or multiple hours, anyway, yeah...they should only stick around if doing so isn't boring for them.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I'd go so far as to say that it is extremely rude to expect a sidelined character to stay at the table. Their time doesn't belong to the group. If they aren't involved in the game, why should they hang around and...not be allowed to participate in the group activity they came for?

If it's a short thing, sure, they should stick around, but if it's going to be the rest of the session, or multiple hours, anyway, yeah...they should only stick around if doing so isn't boring for them.

So here I was about to type my opinion and you pretty much typed it for me. So I'll just say I agree with every word of the above.

John Bonar

Villager
communication, and setting expectations is key. If the GM is not going to be able to involve the player in some positive way for the player, and the player would rather be elsewhere, then in that case I don't see any player/gm foul here.

Sent from my iPad using EN World

S

Sunseeker

Based on the OP, operating under the assumption that the sidelined player has nothing to do, they are welcome to leave and we'll see them next time.

Satyrn

First Post
Edited out. I mean, I set up the joke for Iserith, and then I deliver the punchline before he can. I'm a terrible straightman.

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
It depends. It really does.

D&D is a game. A game should be challenging, and rewarding. This, for many people, is "fun". (This does not, in any way, preclude the existence of other kinds of "fun", such as playing games where everyone wins, or where even if you win, you lose).

If I buy a game on Steam, and it's not fun to play, I don't play it. I'll complain a lot about this, but it's really my own fault. Attempting to play it anyways and becoming more upset is also my fault.

One can argue that if you're playing D&D and your character is knocked unconscious, you're not even playing the game! You've been put into "time out" for some unspecified time.

There are, however, some concerns to be addressed. Since it can be assumed there's some sort of vague social contract with regards to a given play group, consider the following:

*If everyone in the group are your friends, then maybe, for them, playing D&D is more than about playing the game itself, but also a great chance to hang out, socialize, and share in a group activity you all enjoy.

*It's quite probable that some effort or sacrifice is involved in making sure everyone can be there for the session. Skipping out on the game can be very similar to bailing on a party, or leaving the bar early.

*The DM is definitely making a sacrifice of their time and energy to have the game available to be played -at all-. If you take your ball and go home, how do you suppose he'll feel about it?

Now, taking these considerations...into (ahem) consideration, if D&D is a social gathering, and these people are your friends, then it should be everyone's responsibility to make sure everyone is having fun. If someone isn't having fun, that's a problem. I don't know about you, but the social events I attend don't have a "penalty box" that you can be stuffed into so that you aren't allowed to fully enjoy yourself. D&D shouldn't be any different.

So the bottom line here is, everyone needs to take everyone's feelings into account.

But really, this isn't the real debate I think should be happening. We shouldn't be discussing if it's rude to leave a game if you're no longer engaged. We should be discussing how to keep people engaged in a game that has many built-in ways to remove you from the fun- being brought below 0 hit points, turned to stone, or banished to another plane of existence. These consequences are part of the game- one can argue that if you aren't willing to accept these consequences then you should find a game more suited to you, but I don't think that's a constructive viewpoint.

We should be looking to improve the experience of this game we love as much as possible. Is there a way to preserve the integrity of the game and address this issue is what I think we should be talking about.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
We should be looking to improve the experience of this game we love as much as possible. Is there a way to preserve the integrity of the game and address this issue is what I think we should be talking about.

How about agreeing not to take it so personally if someone goes home early because it's obvious they won't be able to play for the rest of the session?

The base assumption for this poll is not that you are sidelined for a few minutes, but for hours or even indefinitely (i.e. roll up a new character and the DM has to find a way to work them into the adventure, or your character has been sent to another plane and no one has a way to get them back, etc.)

No one is saying that it's OK for you to bail if your character has been knocked unconscious or paralyzed for a few rounds of combat.

If you want to hang out and joke around with your friends as they play, fantastic. You are the life of the party and everyone loves you.

If you decide you will be a distraction and/or you are just not feeling social because your character was dragged into the Orc Leatherman Orgy Pit and didn't survive their ministrations, and your friends are being a bit too enthusiastic with their jokes... maybe it's OK for you leave a bit early.

(And if you think this scenario is far fetched...you've led a sheltered gaming life. :) Exhibit A: http://somethingpositive.net/arch/sp05042002.gif )

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
First of all, a "lea" is an open grassy area. It's rarely rude to become one.

Sorry, having read the other thread I needed to put a little levity into your small typo.

Every circumstance is unique. Playing a convention one-shot, get killed off, confirm with the DM there's no way for you to come back, and ask to be excused to go catch a panel you wanted. Sure, go for it.

On the other hand: getting sidelined, waiting 15 minutes, specifically not asking the DM if there's a way back because he has "a thing about meta", deciding that no one else could bring you back because you were the only arcane caster (I guess in the whole campaign world), and leaving without discussing how long you'd be sidelined with the DM is rude. Regardless if after going to watch a movie you call to find out that no, your PC hadn't a way back while you were gone.

Like so many correct answers, it's "it depends". Circumstances vary.

(Mind you, a player being or not being rude is a different question then a DM being rude - both can be true or false independently.)

Remove ads