• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Poll] Rise From Your Grave

How are resurrections in your game?

• The party had to pay an NPC for resurrections.

Votes: 80 41.7%
  • The party got to resurrect fallen members once they could cast the spell

Votes: 52 27.1%
  • I've never seen a resurrection in play, even though I allow them.

Votes: 41 21.4%
  • I don't allow resurrections in play.

Votes: 19 9.9%

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I've never had a party high enough level to resurrect in the field, so they've always had to pay for it.

Raise, on the other hand, they can (and have, often) cast in the field; before they got to that level, they paid for those, too. :)

Lanefan

maggot

First Post
I've had both the party pay an NPC, and use the spell themselves, depending on the levels involved. I've also played in a "raise dead never happens" campaign, and I was fine with it.

Vanuslux

Explorer
None of the poll options reflect my experiences accurately.

I've never had PCs pay an NPC for a resurrection, nor have I ever experienced them casting the spell themselves. I have, however, of my own initiative had NPCs resurrect PCs under special circumstances if I thought it would suit the story. At a guess I'd say on average that happens about one in ten deaths so it's rare enough that nobody expects it, thus there's still a sense of awe about it.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I voted that the party had to pay an NPC for resurrections, but the truth is that in 20+ years of gaming, there have probably been about 5 resurrections I've seen.

The reason they were paid for is that I can't remember when a cleric ever got high enough level to cast the spell! We usually end the campaign at about 9-10th level when those spells start becoming player-available.

I never thought that a resurrection "hurt the narrative flow" or whatever - but I do think if you consider the "world" effect of near immortality given by much use of magic (especially for the powerful and wealthy) the reality of the world gets bent. So I strenuously ignore the probable outcomes and have the world I want regardless. Nobody seems to mind.

Elephant

First Post
I played a (CG) cleric in a game that got up to 20th level. One time - way up at 20th, we got into a BAR FIGHT, of all things, with some surprisingly tough evil things...first thing they did was slit the throat of an acolyte from the nearby LG temple.

After the fight, my cleric Raised the LG acolyte and sent a bill for the spell to the LG temple :D

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
In my campaigns, it is common (very common) for...

* PCs to be raised by NPCs after they pay the NPCs some gold.
* PCs to be raised by NPCs who had hired them.
* PCs to be raised by NPCs who require the PC to go on a quest in payment.
* PCs to be raised by other PCs who can case Raise Dead (or Reincarnate)

(In general a PC dies - and is raised - every 4 sessions).

Cheers!

Mark Oliva

First Post
Agent Oracle said:
Okay folks, it's bull time, resurrections, and play experience. So many people kvetch about "disrupting the narrative flow" and "in the literature" that it makes me vaguely ill. I just want to know. Have you seen one? Did it really break the game?

Personally, I've never seen one in play, ever.

You should have used check boxes instead of option fields. In may campaign, the first two options are correct for my campaign, but with option fields, I can click only one.

Crust

First Post
My PCs would have to pay for a true resurrection to avoid losing the level (provided they can find a cleric capable and willing).

Of course, raise dead is cheaper and easier to come by, so the issue of the level comes into play. Sometimes players see it as an excuse to try a new PC. I've never had a problem with it. I'm not one to say, "Oh, this god wouldn't allow resurrection in this case." It's up to the divine caster (whether PC or NPC) whether the spell is cast or not.

During our last campaign that ended at PL 28, the cleric wielded a mace that could cast true resurrection twice a week. That came in handy. He could also cast the spell, and did so often, sometimes in the middle of combat. It didn't ruin anything. What it did do was create a sense of awe as we basked in the heights of epic levels.

I also think it's perfectly ok to hold back on the resurrections. Sometimes it takes away from the gritty realism of the game.

ThirdWizard

First Post
In the current game where the PC cleric is 10th caster level , its about 50% PC casting and 50% NPC casting, depending on if they can use raise dead or need something more potent. I would say that it is cast between once per two sessions and once per three sessions. They've been doing fairly well, and nobody has died in the last two games, though, so maybe they can keep this up.

rudie

First Post
Ive had ONE game where a player died and we had to pay for a resurrection, it was our first game, my bard rolled an 80 bluff (this was when we didnt read the skills and didnt care about "max ranks", aaand we had open ended rolls :p) he talked the cleric down to a pair of shiny earings...

then the dm basically said "ok, your character is better" no real RP at all :p

Remove ads