Poll: What base classes would you prefer to see as prestige classes instead?

What base classes would you prefer to see as prestige classes instead?

• Archivist

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Ardent

Votes: 57 22.7%
  • Artificer

Votes: 70 27.9%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • Bard

Votes: 49 19.5%
  • Beguiler

Votes: 77 30.7%
  • Cleric

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Divine Mind

Votes: 75 29.9%
  • Dragon Shaman

Votes: 89 35.5%
  • Dread Necromancer

Votes: 109 43.4%
  • Druid

Votes: 29 11.6%
  • Duskblade

Votes: 74 29.5%
  • Erudite

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Favored Soul

Votes: 60 23.9%
  • Fighter

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Healer

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Hexblade

Votes: 94 37.5%
  • Knight

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Marshal

Votes: 89 35.5%
  • Monk

Votes: 32 12.7%
  • Ninja

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Paladin

Votes: 119 47.4%
  • Psion

Votes: 21 8.4%
  • Psychic Warrior

Votes: 38 15.1%
  • Ranger

Votes: 55 21.9%
  • Rogue

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Samurai

Votes: 97 38.6%
  • Scout

Votes: 51 20.3%
  • Shugenja

Votes: 50 19.9%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 17 6.8%
  • Soulknife

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Spellthief

Votes: 116 46.2%
  • Spirit Shaman

Votes: 66 26.3%
  • Swashbuckler

Votes: 80 31.9%
  • Warlock

Votes: 48 19.1%
  • Warmage

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Wilder

Votes: 55 21.9%
  • Wizard

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Wu Jen

Votes: 51 20.3%
  • Other class not listed

Votes: 32 12.7%

JustKim

First Post
There are way too many PrCs already, adding half the base classes to the number is adding raindrops to a lake. I would actually be more interested in seeing PrCs redone as base classes. Not many, maybe ten or twenty of the really distinct ones.

catsclaw227

First Post
What about the base classes in Tome of Magic or Tome of Battle? I like the Binder class and one of my players is digging his Swordsage (even though he has multiclassed it with Fighter and Scout).

Shade said:
None. In fact, I think some prestige classes would work better as additional base classes.
Ditto. When I saw the poll, my exact first thought was, "What about the prestige classes that I'd like to see as a base class?"

It's hard to really pinpoint, but for some reason I get more excited over new base classes than prestige classes. I guess subconsciously I see it as playing the concept for the character right from the beginning rather than having to play several levels of a more generic concept before actually taking the class that I want. Not saying that's exactly the case, but I definitely have that gut feeling at times.

But of course my favorite 3.x books are things like Tome of Magic and Book of Nine Swords, so that's pretty telling.

fuindordm

Adventurer
I'm gonna buck the trend and claim that the Wizard would make a better prestige class than base class.

Why? There spellcasting ability is *so* general and powerful that even at low levels they feel like the pinnacle of magical ability. They can learn an unlimited number of spells, and research any spell they want. Their only limitations are spell slots and gold. The ability to do anything one can imagine, given time, just feels like it should be the pinnacle of one's career rather than the beginning.

Even the Eberron setting recognizes wizards as something rare and unusual for this.

I have toyed with the idea of a setting where the only base classes are either mundane
or grant limited and specific magical abilities. None of the base classes would be able to
prepare or research spells. Paladins (without spells) and monks would be OK, and
probably the only spellcasting class available would be the sorcerer.

All the classes that prepare spells would then become prestige classes, with the prerequisite that you already possess at least 3 supernatural or spell-like abilities.

The basic idea is that if you want to learn how to take advantage of magic's infinite flexibility, you had better have some innate magic to begin with.

Ben

Remove ads