• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Polymorph Best Choice

Thomas Percy

First Post
What is best choice (for melee combat) for Polymorph form 9th level caster ogre mage?
I'm interested with SRD aberrations, animals, dragons, feys, giants, humanoids, magical beasts, monstrous humanoids, oozes, plants, or vermins only.
Maybe there are links for best choices for all caster levels?

Thanks for help.

Thomas Percy

First Post
Oops, so ogre mage shoulnd't Polymorph at all for melee combat, because he has higher caster level (9th) than HD (5)?

Last edited:

Prism

Explorer
Bad Paper said:
No good. Annis has 7HD, more than the Ogre Mage (5HD). Polymorph can't exceed subject's HD.

Good point, didn't spot that.

Thomas Percy said:
Oops, so ogre mage shoulnd't Polymorph at all for melee combat, because he has higher caster level (9th) than HD (5)?

I can't think of much with just 5 HD that is physically better or has better movement than the ogre mages own form. I guess you could add a few class levels to give you a few more options - I'm assuming you're creating this as an encounter?

Scion

First Post
considering that you are limited to 5hd or less and you will lose some majorly powerful abilities by changing it looks like it is primarily to be put onto underlings and such ;)

if you can find a creature with 5hd or less with you gaining 'more' combat ability than you already had.. wow.. You lose a 'lot' when polymorphing.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Best choice depends upon circumstance. If you're trying to infiltrate a Hobgoblin compound, then a troll might not be the best choice. If you're trying to thrash some adventurers, then a troll is probably a wise choice (if they're relatively low level).

Dave

Remove ads