• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Potion Belts and grappling

Paul Grogan

First Post
I use Potion Belts in my games from FRCS. They allow a character to draw a potion as a free action, but I have tweaked that to be a swift action.

I was wondering what to do about drawing a potion from a potion belt when in a grapple.

In PHB it says you can draw a light weapon in a grapple with a move action and a successful grapple check. Presumably this also applies to other objects stored on the person which are simiar to 'light weapons', i.e wands and potions.

So I was thinking since drawing a potion from a potion belt is quicker and easier than normal, that it should be easier in a grapple.

My options:
1. Swift action but needs a grapple check. Seems wrong since if you are making a grapple check, it should be at least a move action.
2. Move action that does not need a grapple check.

Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

Altair-the-Vexed

First Post
I'd say it ought to be a Move Action, and it ought to need a Grapple Check.

Surely any action in a grapple that requires your limbs to move must require a successful Grapple Check?
If someone has hold of you and is trying to pin you down, it isn't really as easy as a swift action to pull something out of your pocket / off your belt - no matter how handy that belt is. Your limbs are being pulled in all directions!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads