PrC Drunken Boxer

KriticalFailure

First Post
alright I took out a few things, healing booze, pass out, staggering target, and edited a few more things. Moved imp. bottoms up and reworded projectile vomit. also changed belch a bit and bathing elephant. thx for the input :D.
--KriticalFailure

Background info: i havent written anything yet, i'll write it after i get all the the other stuff fiugured out.

Requirements: To be a Drunken Boxer, one must meet all of the following:
1.) Tumble rank 8
2.) Great Fortitude Feat
3.) Dodge Feat
4.) Must Fight in a Brawl at a Tavern while drunk, and win
5.) Improved unarmed Combat
Skills: per lvl 4+int

Hit Die: d8

Balance/Bluff/climb/escape artist/jump/listen/perform/swim/tumble
Code:
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Unarmed Damage Special 
1     +0   +2  +2   +0      1d8        Bottoms Up, Improvised Weapons
2     +1   +2  +2   +0      1d8        Drunken Dance
3     +2   +3  +3   +0      1d8        Numb
4     +3   +4  +4   +1      1d10       Prone Attack Feat, Bathing Elephant
5     +3   +4  +4   +1      1d10       Belch, AC+1, Improved Numb
6     +4   +5  +5   +2      1d10       Improved Improvised Weapons
7     +5   +5  +5   +2      1d10       Improved Bottoms Up, Superior Numb
8     +6   +6  +6   +2      2d6        AC +2
9     +6   +6  +6   +3      2d6        Numb all Over
10    +7   +7  +7   +3      2d6        Projectile Vomit

Specail Abilities:
Bottoms Up:
For a Drunken Boxer, alcohol acts as a stimulant rather than a depressant. For every drink the drunken Boxer drinks he recieves a +2 in either STR or CON (DB's choice) however, he also recieves a -2 in both INT and WIS. This effect lasts for 5 rounds + class lvl. (can only benefit from one drink per class lvl i.e. at DB lvl 2 he may recieve a +4 to STR and -4 to WIS and INT). Drinking takes a movement action. (Only drinks consumed after the encounter has started may affect the DB this way) This is an alchemical bonus.
Weapon proficiency: Improvised weapon:
DB is proficient with all small items as improvised weapons, adding a +1d4 damage to the DB's unarmed attack rolls without receiving any penalties to attack power. (only useable when under the effects of bottoms up)
Drunken Dance:
At level 2, During the DB's turn the Drunken Boxer can dance with a chosen opponent making him tough to predict, giving the drunken boxer a +2 dodge bonus to AC vs his partner. A condition that makes the DB lose his dex mod to AC also makes him lose drunken dancing, This ability stacks with other dodge bonuses. (only useable when under the effects of bottoms up)
Numb
After the Drunken Boxer has consumed 3 or more alcohol beverages, he becomes numb and more resistant to pain. The DB gains a Damage Reduction of 1/- This effect lasts as long as the DB has 3 or more drinks still inside his body. (only useable when under the effects of bottoms up)
Prone Attack
at level 4, the Drunken Boxer my attack from a prone position with no penalties on the attack roll. Opponents get no bonus to attack rolls while Drunken Boxer is prone, also DB does not receive any penalties to AC from being prone while drunk.
Bathing Elephant
at level 4, the Drunken Boxer may spew alcohol into the eyes of an opponent (touch attack roll), dealing 1d4 damage and temporarily blinding the target for as many rounds as the damage delt plus 1 (i.e if the Drunken boxer hits and deals 2 damage to the target, the target is blinded for 3 rounds) The Target may save with a reflex save of 10+DB's class level+DB's wis mod. If saved, the target takes no damage and suffers no blindness. (only useable when under the effects of bottoms up)
Belch:
At lvl 5, the Drunken Boxer can Belch in the face of an opponent. The target must make a fortitude save of 10+DB class lvl+ DB's wis mod to save. if failed, the target is stunned out for 1 round plus 1/2 DB class lvl (round down). (only useable when under the effects of bottoms up)
Ac + 1:
at lvl 5, AC is increased by 1, This AC increase is similar to the Monk's AC increase and stacks with it as well
Improved Numb
After becoming more familiar with the drink, the DB is now able to fight off more pain DR 2/-. after consuming 4 alcoholic beverages. (only useable when under the effects of bottoms up)
Improved Improvised Weapons
Drunken boxer is now able to use medium sized objects as weapons (i.e.-chairs) and now deals an added 1d6 to unarmed damage instead of the previous 1d4. (only useable when under the effects of bottoms up)
Improved Bottoms Up
Now that the Drunken Boxer is experienced in Drunken Boxing, he now recieves a +4 to either STR or CON for each beverage taken and a -2 on both INT and WIS. the rest is the same as Bottoms Up.
Superior Numb
After becoming more familiar with the drink, the DB is now able to fight off more pain DR 3/-. after consuming 5 alcoholic beverages. (only useable when under the effects of bottoms up)
AC +2
Natural AC is increased by +2 instead of +1.
Numb all Over
The Drunken Boxer is now used to being numb and is able to fight off more pain DR 4/-. after consuming 5 alcoholic beverages. (only useable when under the effects of bottoms up)
Projectile Vomit
At Level 10 the Drunken Boxer may project him vomit, adding the acids from his stomach, onto targets within a 15 ft cone infront of him. The DB deals 1d10 for each drink consumed during the encounter that is still inside the DB (i.e.- if the DB has 3 drinks in his body, he deals 3d10 damage) damage to all targets within the 15 ft cone All targets must also make a will save of 10+DB's class lvl+ number of drinks in the DB's body to not start vomiting. Reflex save of 10+DB's class lvl to take half damage. (only useable when under the effects of bottoms up)

Last edited:

B4cchus

Explorer
Apart form some formatting issues (the writeup is confusing on some points) i have a very strong copy/paste feeling while comparing this with the one from CW. A lot of the abilities are almost exactly similar to those of the existing (non OGL) version.
Wouldn't it be more fun to make this version completely origional and new?

I really like some of the new things you came up with. I can't wait to see a drunken brawler knock out an orc with his belch.

Personally, i'd also advance the abilities gained by consuming more beverages (as in the bottoms up ability) further down the road as he advances in levels (apart for gaining new uses for them, such as healing booze).

orsal

LEW Judge
KriticalFailure said:
I'd like to propose a Prestige Class of a Drunken Boxer.

... which throughout the description you refer to variously as a Drunken Brawler and a Drunken Master. Pick a name and use it consistently. In character, various descriptors may be used, but for OOC discussion there should be a standard name.

KriticalFailure said:
Requirements: To be a Drunken Boxer, one must meet all of the following:
5.) must be a monk

What's the reasoning behind this? It's unusual to use a character class as an explicit prerequisite; sometimes an ability unique to a character class is used, but even then, the class isn't named in the prerequisites. That way, if a homebrew variant of the base class is developed that includes the relevant ability, characters of that class can also qualify. So, is there a particular monk ability you think ought to be a prerequisite for this class?

KriticalFailure said:
craft: alcohol(WIS)

Don't confuse matters by defining a particular craft skill that doesn't fit the general rules for craft skills. If for some reason you want this to be Wis-based (and I don't see what's wrong with Int) then give it a different name.

KriticalFailure said:
Code:
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1     +0   +2  +2   +0   Bottoms Up, Everything is a weapon
2     +1   +2  +2   +0   Drunken Dance
3     +2   +3  +3   +0   Drunken Charge
4     +3   +4  +4   +1   Improved Trip
5     +3   +4  +4   +1   Swan Dive
6     +4   +5  +5   +2   Bowling Ball, AC +1
7     +4   +5  +5   +2   Healing Booze
8     +5   +5  +5   +2   Improved Everything is a weapon
9     +6   +6  +6   +2   Belch, AC+2
10    +6   +7  +7   +3   Fire Eater

I don't like nonstandard progressions. You seem to be doing something close to medium BAB, good Fort and Ref, and poor Will, but not exactly -- you've given this class inferior Fort and Ref saves at levels 2 and 8, inferior Will at levels 3 and 9, and inferior BAB at levels 7, 8, and 10. It's confusing to have a class with its own progression -- it means I can't calculate the figures mathematically, I'd need to look them up in the table, and only this particular table will do. Since you're doing something so close to standard progressions, you should just use the standard version.

KriticalFailure said:
Bottoms Up:
For a Drunken Brawler, alcohol acts as a stimulant rather than a depressant. For every drink the drunken Brawler drinks he recieves a +2 in either STR or CON however, he also recieves a -2 in both INT and WIS.

Either STR or CON -- how to decide which? I'm guessing it's the Drunken B*er's choice, but that should be made explicit.

Also, how long does it take to drink one drink? A full-round action might work, but however long you have in mind, needs to be explicit.

KriticalFailure said:
(can only benefit from one drink per lvl i.e. at lvl 2 he may recieve a +4 to STR and -4 to WIS and INT)

I'm guessing that's per class level? Say so explicitly. (If it's per character level, this ability is broken.)

KriticalFailure said:
Everything is a Weapon:
While drunk, a Drunken Brawler can use virtually anthing as a weapon. From bottles to chairs.

"Virtually everything": so, by implication, some things can't be used as a weapon. But you don't say what things can or can't.

Also, all characters can use improvised weapons:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#improvisedWeapons
So, what makes the Drunken B*er's use different from any other? Does the Drunken B*er have proficiency in improvised weapons? That would work -- but if that's what you're aiming at, say so explicitly.

KriticalFailure said:
While using the items, the Drunken Brawler gains a +1d3 damage to his unarmed attack.

Now I'm confused. If they're weapons, he's armed. So why unarmed attack?

KriticalFailure said:
Swan Dive:
at lvl 5, The Drunken Brawler may make a swan dive onto a prone or tripped target dealing 1d10+wis.

1d10 plus the Drunken B*er's Wisdom score? 1d10 plus the Drunken B*er's Wisdom modifier? 1d10 plus the target's Wisdom (score or modifier)? Please be explicit. I'm guessing you mean 1d10 plus the Drunken B*er's Wisdom modifier, but you shouldn't leave it to us to guess these things.

KriticalFailure said:
if the Brawler misses, he deals 1d4 dmg to himself and is winded for one round

I don't see "winded" in the Condition Summary. So, you'll have to spell out the mechanical effects of this condition. Otherwise, it doesn't mean anything.

KriticalFailure said:
Belch:
At lvl 9, the Drunken master can Belch in the face of an opponent. The target must make a fortitude save of 10+class lvl+wis to save. if failed, the target is helpless for 2 rounds.

Whose class level? (The Drunken B*er's, I assume, but I want to see that written out.) Whose Wisdom? (Again, the Drunken B*er's, I would hope.) And, is the the Wisdom score, or Wisdom modifier?

B4cchus

Explorer
First off i really like this PrC as a 10 level PrC instead of 5.

Second, you have seem to compact most of the 10-level writeup into a 5 level writeup, therefore compacting some of the orional abilities into 5 levels.

Again, i'd like to encourage you to 'start from scratch' instead of writing the PrC as a shadow of the Prc puclished in complete warrior.
Imagine what kind of cool stuff you see a drunken master pull off in those kung-fu classics and pour them into class featues, spread out over 10 levels.

Things that strike me as classic are:
-Elusive dodging due being drunk
-attacking from strange angles
-attacking with unusual objects (more due the fact that jackie chan starred in drinken fist.. but still)
-spewing liquir, blinding foes
-ignoring pain from blows due being drunk
-fueling some kind of fighting frenzy while drinking throughout a fight.
-collapsing after a big fight due exhaustion and drinking a lot.

Before translating that into class features consider that:
- this is a monk focussed PrC, so include some monk ability(s) in the prereqs and maybe improve existing monk abilites (at least ac bonus, maybe also unarmed strike, flurry, etc).

Some examples of the above features, poured into vlass abilities could be:
- mobility as a bonus feat (attacking form strange angles and getting away with it)
- dodge bonus (or just advance the monk ac bonus)
- a rage like effect that advances while drinking more booze (both advantages and disadvantages)
- reducnig action required to drink (booze and maybe also potions) while fighting
- temp. hp or DR or die hard (as the feat) while in drunken frenzy (ignoring pain while drunk)
- reduced or no penalties (and maybe evetually bonusses) when fighting with improvised weapons

And these are just a few out of the top of my head.

Good luck!

p.s. creating a PrC for Lew can be a long yet rewarding task. I, myself, have been busy creating one for quite some months now.. so don't give up, it pays out in the end once you get to actually play your self designed PrC!

KriticalFailure

First Post
Here are some newer ideas i've had about the Drunken Boxer...they aren't very refines, im just running them by you all to see what you think. Also, they definately need to be revised and some help with that is welcomed as well. :D thx.

Spew Alcohol
The Drunken Boxer Can Spit Alcohol into the Face of the target, temporarily blinding him for 1d4+DB's wis mod

10 foot adjustment
Because of the constant staggering movement of the Drunken Boxer, He may move 10 feet on his adjustment instead of the normal 5 feet. Also, Drunken Boxer is nop longer vulnerable to attack of oppertunities

Backwards fighting
The Drunken Boxer may get turned around in his drunken staggering. In these situatons and even when flanked, The Drunken Boxer may attack targets that are behind him with no penalty by throwing elbows, kicking out behind himself, and even bending over backwards to punch. These attacks do not provoke an attack of opportunity. This style of fighting opens up new techniques that the Drunken Boxer may use.

Nut Cracker
While in backwards fighting, the Drunken Boxer may do a kick that swiches his plant foot while his other foot comes up sharply behind him, striking the target in the nuts and dealing 1d6 damage. If the target is stuck, it must make a fortitude save of 10+ Drunken boxer's class level + the amount of damage taken + DB's wis mod. If failed, the target passes out from pain. If saved, the target is stunned for one round.

Bront

The man with the probe
Nut Cracker needs to be noted as only working on humanoids vulnerable to critical hits (Try that on a skeleton or Gelatinous Cube and you won't have the desired effect)

Backwards fighting is useless as there are no penalties for fighting while flanked and no facing in D20.

10 foot adjustment is a big deal. No longer vulernable to attacks of opertunities is huge as well. Granting Mobility I'll buy, and maybe a bonus to s'tumble' drunk...

KriticalFailure

First Post
Thank you for the feedback :D. I have added a few more things..check the first post for changes. Thx, plz give more feedback so that i can change things around.

Remove ads