PrC: The Demonic Savant (open for suggestions/comments being workshopped)

Xaov

First Post
This PrC uses the Acolyte of the Skin on pages 19-21 of Unearthed Arcana as a skeleton. Aside from just any balance issues that may come up, any modifications anyone can suggest to make this class more LEW specialized would be appreciated.

The Demonic Savant:
“There is no limit to the lengths I’ll go to for power”

Behind the closed doors of society their lies a seedier, darker side. Blasphemous incantations are whispered in hushed tones. In some extreme cases, living creatures are sacrificed for the rituals to be complete.

It is a dark and dangerous road one must traverse to consort with infernal creatures. But for some, the potential power to be gained from such a venture is well worth the risk. The Demonic Savant is the embodiment of that path. Mortal men and women with the power over arcane magic seek further enlightenment and power by bonding their very skin to a Demon.

The path of the Demonic Savant begins with locating a copy of a rare book known as the Ritual of Bonding. Only a few copies of this infernal script still remain as most have been destroyed. Those who find a copy should be wary of those who might know they have it. Many groups blindly hunt down and kill those who possess a copy of the Ritual.

Once the ritual is complete the bonding begins. Its starts with merely a dark oily layer covering the skin. As time goes on and the Savant levels up, the bonding continues, his/her body becomes more noticeably transformed. Including but not limited to Wings, Red glowing eyes, horns, etc.

Hit Dice: D8

Requirements:
Alignment: Any Evil
Skills: Knowledge (the planes) 6 ranks
Spells: Caster Level 5th
Special: Must complete the Ritual of Bonding
Special: Must have made peaceful contact with their perspective infernal species to be bound to.

Class Skills:
Concentration (con), Intimidation (cha), Knowledge (Arcane) (int), Knowledge (The Planes) (int) Spellcraft (int), Bluff (int)

Spells:
At every even level a Demonic Savant gains spells as if he/she had leveled in their spell caster class.

Skill Points at Each Level: 2+ int modifier

Code:
Level	BAB	Fort	Ref	Will	Special	Spells
1st	+0	+2	+0	+2	Wear Demon, Negative Blast 1/day	
2nd	+1	+3	+0	+3	Negative Energy resistance I[url=http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=2854248&postcount=4](edited)[/url] [url=http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=2858351&postcount=10]#2[/url],   
3rd	+2	+3	+1	+3	Fiendish Glare 	
4th	+3	+4	+1	+4	Call of the Inferno,  Skin Adaption, Negative Blast 2/day   
5th	+3	+4	+1	+4		
6th	+4	+5	+2	+5	Negative Energy Resist II[url=http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=2854248&postcount=4](edited)[/url] [url=http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=2858351&postcount=10]#2[/url]
7th	+5	+5	+2	+5	Negative Energy teleportation
8th	+6	+6	+2	+6	Summon demonic manifestation, 
9th	+6	+6	+3	+6	Demonic Deception
10th	+7	+7	+3	+7	Negative Energy Resist III[url=http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=2854248&postcount=4](edited)[/url] [url=http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=2858351&postcount=10]#2[/url], Demonic Possession, Type- Outsider

Wear Demon: The essence of the summoned demon attaches itself to the casters skin. It becomes darker and a bit rougher. It increases the caster’s natural armor bonus by 1, and gives the caster a +2bonus to Dexterity. The caster also gains darkvision of 60 ft.

Negative Blast: At first level the caster can create a blast of Negative Energy that deals 1d4 damage/ level once a day. At forth level this ability can be done twice a day.

Negative Energy Resistance: Born of negative energy the caster gains resistance to its effects. This bonus starts at 10 for second level, 20 at sixth level, and finally 30 at tenth level.

Fiendish Glare: The Savant’s ability to instill fear becomes apparent. Once a day with a glimpse of his evil eyes subjects become shaken with fear according to their hit die. This ability can target any creatures the Acolyte can see within 100 feet. The target becomes shaken for 10 minutes and must attempt a Will save (DC10+savant’s level+ Charisma mod)

50 or less HD 10 Rounds
51 to 100 3 Rounds
101 to 150 2 Rounds
151 or more 1 Round

Call of The Inferno: At 4th level the caster is beginning to become accustomed to their new life with demonic power. They begin to submit to the skin’s darker desires. They must make a will save (DC10+ Savant level+ Cha mod) or succumb to the skin’s wishes for 1 hour per level. (Note: This check occurs once every week)

Skin Adaptation: The caster and his new skin are becoming more comfortable with each other his/her natural armor bonus increases to +2 as well as a +2 bonus to his/her constitution score. Darkvision also increases to 120 ft.

Negative Energy Teleportation: A Demonic savant has become attuned to the Tower of Negative Energy casting this spell takes 1 full round to cast. Upon the spell activating an explosion of Negative Energy radiates from the caster dealing 1d8 points of damage to all living creatures in a 10 foot radius. The caster is then immediately teleported to the Tower of Negative Energy.

Summon Demonic Manifestation: A Demonic Savant can summon a manifestation of the skin they wear. The manifestation is under the control of the caster it has stats, damage, and abilities equal to a creature with half the levels of Savant as the caster.

Demonic Deception: Demons are the masters of deception, at this stage in the transformation a Savant has mastered this aspect and as such can change themselves to any creature of similar size. They can take on the aspects of voice, physical feeling, clothes, but not mannerisms or memories. A Savant in disguise’s skin has a gray tone to it. The voice is also a bit gruffer than the normal person’s is. This effect lasts for 1 hour/level

Demonic Possession: A Demonic Savant may once per day possess a humanoid for 1 hour/level. The victim can make a will save (DC10+half savant level+ cha mod) to resist the effects. This is an effect similar to the Dominate Person spell however there is no limit to the orders that can be given except for what the creature is physically capable of doing.

Type- Outsider: The transformation is complete. There is nothing but death itself that can separate the skin of the demon and the caster. Unlike most outsiders however a Demonic Savant can in fact be raised.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Just one comment at the moment. Does Negitive Energy resistance mean that they are imune to Inflict spells? That's the only negitive energy damage I know of in the SRD.

Velmont

First Post
Fiendish Glare
When you says 50 of less HD, do you mean Hit Point, or does it touch a group and depending teh total HD of teh group, the effect are more or less potent?

Xaov

First Post
Its an ability that affects all creatures within 100 feet. So its the number of HD total amongst the creatures it affected. The fewer creatures/the weaker the creatures the more potent the effect is.

As for the resistance its not that they would be immune. But it would be much harder to effect a savant with a spell of negative energy

Desecration, Enervation, Harm.

After looking through the spell list and realizing those are the only spells that use negative energy. I think I'll make it +20 spell resistance to necromancy school.

Necromantic Resistance: Born of evil magic a Savant gains resistance to Necromancy. This bonus starts at 10 for second level, 20 at sixth level, and finally 30 at tenth level.

Last edited:

Xaov

First Post
Heh glad you pointed that out. I knew I forgot to add back in something.

Added

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
You say they have "power over arcane magic", yet there is no such specification in the caster level section. They get d8 HD & medium BAB progression. These are significant steps up for arcane casters, yet they also get a load of special abilities. Do they really get an additional spell caster level for each PrC level?

Xaov

First Post
All the level progressions BAB, Saves, spell progression etc. is all identical to the skeleton class.

so probably if you should seriously look at anything it would be the special abilities. I tried to give them a variety of specials, with nothing so grossly overpowered that it broke the class. However this is why its submitted. If this class is seen as overpowered it helps to know so I can modify according to suggestions.

Perhaps trimming down a few of the special abilities. Keeping the abilities as is but modify the level dependent benefits somewhat. Maybe make it that every 3 levels is a plus to spells.

Any suggestions to help improve this class' viability would be much appreciated.

The Abilities are as follows:
Resistance
Offensive spell at most twice a day
Domination
Teleportation/damage
slight ability bonus at 2 different levels
Disguise
AOE Shaken

The flavor text could be ammended if need be so that it won't be limited to arcane casters. As you are right, it says power over arcane magic with no further stipulation of arcane requirement.

Just a reminder folks, in my opinion this class could use a bit more LEW specialty to it. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Bront

The man with the probe
Xaov said:
As for the resistance its not that they would be immune. But it would be much harder to effect a savant with a spell of negative energy

Desecration, Enervation, Harm.

After looking through the spell list and realizing those are the only spells that use negative energy. I think I'll make it +20 spell resistance to necromancy school.

Necromantic Resistance: Born of evil magic a Savant gains resistance to Necromancy. This bonus starts at 10 for second level, 20 at sixth level, and finally 30 at tenth level.
I think you might be better with a 10+1 per class level. 30 SR is pretty huge.

Remove ads