PrC: The Demonic Savant (open for suggestions/comments being workshopped)

Knight Otu

First Post
Xaov said:
Alignment: Any Evil
Special: Must have made peaceful contact with their perspective infernal species to be bound to.
Since we are talking about a demonic savant here, should that be

Alignment: Neutral evil, chaotic evil, (chaotic neutral)
Special: Must have made peaceful contact with a demon to be bound to.

?

Call of The Inferno: At 4th level the caster is beginning to become accustomed to their new life with demonic power. They begin to submit to the skin’s darker desires. They must make a will save (DC10+ Savant level+ Cha mod) or succumb to the skin’s wishes for 1 hour per level. (Note: This check occurs once every week)
This isn't very easy to do in LEW, I suspect. Maybe it would be better as a penalty to Will saves against powers used by demons and other abyss natives?

Negative Energy Teleportation: A Demonic savant has become attuned to the Tower of Negative Energy casting this spell takes 1 full round to cast. Upon the spell activating an explosion of Negative Energy radiates from the caster dealing 1d8 points of damage to all living creatures in a 10 foot radius. The caster is then immediately teleported to the Tower of Negative Energy.
I'm unsure about this. Having the savant landing in front of the Tower could work, though.

Summon Demonic Manifestation: A Demonic Savant can summon a manifestation of the skin they wear. The manifestation is under the control of the caster it has stats, damage, and abilities equal to a creature with half the levels of Savant as the caster.
Err, I don't really understand what this is supposed to do... summon a demon of the bound type?

Demonic Deception: Demons are the masters of deception, at this stage in the transformation a Savant has mastered this aspect and as such can change themselves to any creature of similar size. They can take on the aspects of voice, physical feeling, clothes, but not mannerisms or memories. A Savant in disguise’s skin has a gray tone to it. The voice is also a bit gruffer than the normal person’s is. This effect lasts for 1 hour/level
I guess this works as the disguise self spell?

Bront

The man with the probe
Teleporting in front of the tower sounds better. That will be an interesting trip though, and likely rip you out of any adventure you're in.

Xaov

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Since we are talking about a demonic savant here, should that be

Alignment: Neutral evil, chaotic evil, (chaotic neutral)
Special: Must have made peaceful contact with a demon to be bound to.

?

This isn't very easy to do in LEW, I suspect. Maybe it would be better as a penalty to Will saves against powers used by demons and other abyss natives?

I'm unsure about this. Having the savant landing in front of the Tower could work, though.

Err, I don't really understand what this is supposed to do... summon a demon of the bound type?

I guess this works as the disguise self spell?

1) Originally this was closer to the acolyte in that it could be either a fiend, demon, or devil. When I changed that I thought I caught every instance of infernal and made it demon. That was merely an accident.

2) I suppose you are right about the penalty to will saves things. I was trying to think of it in terms of flavor. But I guess you are right it would be incredibly hard to do in this sort of game.

3) In front of the tower seems reasonable. Done

4) Yes, almost like an animal companion but as opposed to being a manifestation of an animal it was a manifestation of demon bound to you as a separate entity. Hmm perhaps I'll throw this one out.

5) Yes like a disguise spell. Perhaps I should just make it a disguise self spell. Or even a polymorph

Patlin

Explorer
Bront said:
Just one comment at the moment. Does Negitive Energy resistance mean that they are imune to Inflict spells? That's the only negitive energy damage I know of in the SRD.

A sneak attack with enervation will deal negative energy damage, although this isn't made clear in the SRD.

This seems like it still needs a bit of work before it'll be ready for an up or down vote. I'm not sure that demoniacally influenced characters will really add anything desirable to LEW, for whatever that is worth.

Patlin

Explorer
Rules of the Game said:
Spells as Sneak Attacks

Any spell that requires an attack roll and deals damage can be used in a sneak attack. In this case "damage" is normal damage, nonlethal damage, ability damage, or energy drain. You can sneak attack with a Melf's acid arrow spell, but not with a magic missile spell.

Ranged spells are effective as sneak attacks only at ranges of 30 feet or less (just like any other ranged sneak attack).

A successful sneak attack with a weaponlike spell inflicts extra damage according to the attacker's sneak attack ability, and the extra damage dealt is the same type as the spell deals. For example, a 10th-level rogue who makes a successful sneak attack with a Melf's acid arrow spell inflicts 2d4 points of acid damage, plus an extra 5d6 points of acid damage from the sneak attack (note that continuing damage from this spell is not part of the sneak attack). Spells that inflict energy drains or ability damage deal extra negative energy damage in a sneak attack, not extra negative levels or ability damage. For example, a 10th-level rogue who makes a successful sneak attack with an enervation spell deals 1d4 negative levels plus an extra 5d6 points of negative energy damage.

If the sneak attack with a weaponlike spell results in a critical hit, the damage from the spell is doubled but the extra sneak attack damage is not doubled (as with any sneak attack).

With spell effects that allow you to make multiple attack rolls, such as the energy orb spells or the Split Ray feat from Tome and Blood, you must treat the effect like a volley -- only the first attack can be a sneak attack.

Here's the link -- Energy Drain is considered damage.

Erekose13

Explorer
Xaov said:
Requirements:
Alignment: Any Evil
Skills: Knowledge (the planes) 6 ranks
Spells: Caster Level 5th
Special: Must complete the Ritual of Bonding
Special: Must have made peaceful contact with their perspective infernal species to be bound to.

Given that you are going for CL5, I think that the skill requirement should match. Know (The planes) sounds like an adequate skill req. but I'd up it to 8. I'd also add in Know(religion) at a lesser amount to cover the affinity to negative energy and demonic powers. Say 4 ranks, that'd allow a sorceror to get in with slightly less than full commitment to a cross-class skill.

Xaov said:
Spells:
At every even level a Demonic Savant gains spells as if he/she had leveled in their spell caster class.
I like this, though I'd be tempted to spell it out, "at level 2,4,6,8,10 in this class." It is nice to see that a spell caster prc is not at full progression. It is important then to provide key abilities at the odd levels to encourage progression.

Xaov said:
Wear Demon: The essence of the summoned demon attaches itself to the casters skin. It becomes darker and a bit rougher. It increases the caster’s natural armor bonus by 1, and gives the caster a +2bonus to Dexterity. The caster also gains darkvision of 60 ft.
Dex sounds like an odd choice, but I checked on half-fiends for a similar stat bonus and Str, Dex, or Int all would work (the half-fiend get +4 on each of those).

Xaov said:
Negative Blast: At first level the caster can create a blast of Negative Energy that deals 1d4 damage/ level once a day. At forth level this ability can be done twice a day.
What is the range? Is it an attack? What type of ability is it (Su/Sp)?

Xaov said:
Negative Energy Resistance: Born of negative energy the caster gains resistance to its effects. This bonus starts at 10 for second level, 20 at sixth level, and finally 30 at tenth level.
I like the modification that was suggested (SR=10+class level vs. Neg energy spells) This too would need Su or Sp.

Xaov said:
Fiendish Glare: The Savant’s ability to instill fear becomes apparent. Once a day with a glimpse of his evil eyes subjects become shaken with fear according to their hit die. This ability can target any creatures the Acolyte can see within 100 feet. The target becomes shaken for 10 minutes and must attempt a Will save (DC10+savant’s level+ Charisma mod)

50 or less HD 10 Rounds
51 to 100 3 Rounds
101 to 150 2 Rounds
151 or more 1 Round
This one doesn't work for me. I know you have clarified that you intend it to be a max number of HD affected, but that doesn't make sense when it comes to number of rounds. I'd say something like 1/day all creatures with 30-60ft gaze make a fear save at the DC listed. SU/SP?

Xaov said:
Call of The Inferno: At 4th level the caster is beginning to become accustomed to their new life with demonic power. They begin to submit to the skin’s darker desires. They must make a will save (DC10+ Savant level+ Cha mod) or succumb to the skin’s wishes for 1 hour per level. (Note: This check occurs once every week)
As mentioned a penalty to saves is easier than a pseudo-possession type penalty.

Xaov said:
Skin Adaptation: The caster and his new skin are becoming more comfortable with each other his/her natural armor bonus increases to +2 as well as a +2 bonus to his/her constitution score. Darkvision also increases to 120 ft.
As mentioned earlier, I think that Str/Dex/Int might be most appropriate, but I dont have a strong feeling on that.

Xaov said:
Negative Energy Teleportation: A Demonic savant has become attuned to the Tower of Negative Energy casting this spell takes 1 full round to cast. Upon the spell activating an explosion of Negative Energy radiates from the caster dealing 1d8 points of damage to all living creatures in a 10 foot radius. The caster is then immediately teleported to the Tower of Negative Energy.
This is a weird one. I like that it ties the class more strongly to the world. I cant quite pick it out, but it really kicks you out of an adventure. I don't ever see this getting used personally. SU/SP?

Xaov said:
Summon Demonic Manifestation: A Demonic Savant can summon a manifestation of the skin they wear. The manifestation is under the control of the caster it has stats, damage, and abilities equal to a creature with half the levels of Savant as the caster.
What are they summoning exactly? SU/SP?

Xaov said:
Demonic Deception: Demons are the masters of deception, at this stage in the transformation a Savant has mastered this aspect and as such can change themselves to any creature of similar size. They can take on the aspects of voice, physical feeling, clothes, but not mannerisms or memories. A Savant in disguise’s skin has a gray tone to it. The voice is also a bit gruffer than the normal person’s is. This effect lasts for 1 hour/level
As a disguise self effect (as mentioned in other posts), I dont see this one as one of the high level effects. Is it 1/day? SU?SP?

Xaov said:
Demonic Possession: A Demonic Savant may once per day possess a humanoid for 1 hour/level. The victim can make a will save (DC10+half savant level+ cha mod) to resist the effects. This is an effect similar to the Dominate Person spell however there is no limit to the orders that can be given except for what the creature is physically capable of doing.
As a final ability I like this one. SU/SP?

Xaov said:
Type- Outsider: The transformation is complete. There is nothing but death itself that can separate the skin of the demon and the caster. Unlike most outsiders however a Demonic Savant can in fact be raised.
Again a good final goal.

Overall Impression: I like something that ties to one of the 6 towers. I had thought something tying each of them would really help bring them out in the setting. There are a couple of abilities that are odd and overall I am not sure that they compensate for 5 lost levels of spell casting.

Some other ideas that might be cool to contemplate if you are open to this type of feedback - neg. energy healing. loss of pos. energy healing. Possession and the skin tie the class more closely to the demonic aspect. The neg energy stuff however does not. But that is the stuff that I really like...

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
Here's the link -- Energy Drain is considered damage.
Hmmm...it's interesting that Skip would say that. It means that certain vile feats in combination with Enervation and its ilk are particularly brutal. I seem to remember Monte had a thread for BoVD questions where he said that he would not rule Enervation's negative levels as counting as damage but he can see why someone might want to claim that they can.

Remove ads