PrC: The Demonic Savant (open for suggestions/comments being workshopped)

Xaov

First Post
Erekose13 said:
Given that you are going for CL5, I think that the skill requirement should match. Know (The planes) sounds like an adequate skill req. but I'd up it to 8. I'd also add in Know(religion) at a lesser amount to cover the affinity to negative energy and demonic powers. Say 4 ranks, that'd allow a sorceror to get in with slightly less than full commitment to a cross-class skill.

I like this, though I'd be tempted to spell it out, "at level 2,4,6,8,10 in this class." It is nice to see that a spell caster prc is not at full progression. It is important then to provide key abilities at the odd levels to encourage progression.

Dex sounds like an odd choice, but I checked on half-fiends for a similar stat bonus and Str, Dex, or Int all would work (the half-fiend get +4 on each of those).

What is the range? Is it an attack? What type of ability is it (Su/Sp)?

I like the modification that was suggested (SR=10+class level vs. Neg energy spells) This too would need Su or Sp.

This one doesn't work for me. I know you have clarified that you intend it to be a max number of HD affected, but that doesn't make sense when it comes to number of rounds. I'd say something like 1/day all creatures with 30-60ft gaze make a fear save at the DC listed. SU/SP?

As mentioned a penalty to saves is easier than a pseudo-possession type penalty.

As mentioned earlier, I think that Str/Dex/Int might be most appropriate, but I dont have a strong feeling on that.

This is a weird one. I like that it ties the class more strongly to the world. I cant quite pick it out, but it really kicks you out of an adventure. I don't ever see this getting used personally. SU/SP?

What are they summoning exactly? SU/SP?

As a disguise self effect (as mentioned in other posts), I dont see this one as one of the high level effects. Is it 1/day? SU?SP?

As a final ability I like this one. SU/SP?

Again a good final goal.

Overall Impression: I like something that ties to one of the 6 towers. I had thought something tying each of them would really help bring them out in the setting. There are a couple of abilities that are odd and overall I am not sure that they compensate for 5 lost levels of spell casting.

Some other ideas that might be cool to contemplate if you are open to this type of feedback - neg. energy healing. loss of pos. energy healing. Possession and the skin tie the class more closely to the demonic aspect. The neg energy stuff however does not. But that is the stuff that I really like...

1) Religion does make sense as we are talking about demons, as for increasing Knowledge to 8 however I just like to point out that the character also has to Survive the ritual in the first place. I mean granted its only 2 more points but still.

I just now realized that I never explained what was involved with completing this ritual. Using the ritual given in the skeleton class. Its a ritual that takes 10 rounds to complete and does 1d4 damage each round. Once the ritual is begun it can't be stopped. Thats a full hit dice for a sorc/wizard, clerics could survive it but they'll be hurting. So we are talking about getting someone who can heal you while its happening, potions, something to keep you alive long enough.

2) hmm I'll need to take this one back to the secret underground lair upon which I work on all sorts of abominations of D&D nature

3) I'll make that modification as it seems to be a recurring issue people have with the class.

4) Once again the joys of proofreading a post before making it. the will save and the hit die was going to be for the second effect of the gaze which was a stun effect.

5) noted and the modification will be made

6) noted perhaps because most of the abilities given all have to do with Cha. I'll make the change from Con to Cha. I'll take this one to my workshop of horrors and abominations as well.

7) You never know when this could be useful. Not to mention the explosion effect. SU

8) I think I might ditch this one. Perhaps in its place I'll put in an ability I originally pulled that allowed the Savant to use eye beams.

9) Once per day. Maybe I'll switch it with 8.

10) thanks glad to hear it.

11) again thanks.

overall: Alright I think I need to pull this out for now and rework it a bit.
I'll submit a better version using what I've been told here.

From the start I have welcomed even encouraged suggestions for different abilities than the ones I assigned.

Perhaps with a bit more work this class will become balanced for inclusion.

Last edited:

Remove ads