• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PrC: Trip Master, Trip Anything!!!

Army CQB also teaches to trip and grapple at the same time, and I can agree that it is an extremely effective combination, although we tend to "pin" a bit quicker than 12 seconds afterward. I can get a man from fighting position to face down in the dirt without possibility of escape in a round (6 seconds).
And I'm not more than a level 2 Monk (+1 BAB unarmed combatant).
I'm not sure about 15+ foot throws, but I can do an 8 foot without much help from my opponent (without him perfectly setting me up for it). 15 seems quite feasible for someone who specializes in throws.
Yeah, I've always found the pinning rules in D&D to take way too long, coming from a martial artist perspective. Two rounds at most is enough to take many down. If there's not a feat for that already, there ought to be one.

I'd disagree you're not equivalent to a level 2 monk though. Because of your Army training in close quarters, I'd say you have at least a +6 since you're pretty likely to make at least two good hits in 6 seconds.

Edit: Adding in the thought that a Trip Master could gain a progression of being able to trip larger creatures. At 1st level for instance he could trip something two sizes larger instead of one. At 3rd level it becomes three sizes larger. That kind of thing.

Last edited:

Sekhmet

First Post
Yeah, I've always found the pinning rules in D&D to take way too long, coming from a martial artist perspective. Two rounds at most is enough to take many down. If there's not a feat for that already, there ought to be one.

I'd disagree you're not equivalent to a level 2 monk though. Because of your Army training in close quarters, I'd say you have at least a +6 since you're pretty likely to make at least two good hits in 6 seconds.

Edit: Adding in the thought that a Trip Master could gain a progression of being able to trip larger creatures. At 1st level for instance he could trip something two sizes larger instead of one. At 3rd level it becomes three sizes larger. That kind of thing.

Considering I'm not some sort of legendary martial artist, being a level higher than 3 would not be very probable.
Besides, monks have flurry of blows (2 attacks per round starting at level 1) .

Belzbet

First Post
I think it is underpowered.

Thanks for the tips... But I dont kmow if it is underpowered,,, I mean compared to some PrC's it is not... However compared to some other melee options it may be alittle underpowered (ToB mainly). But it is still a good option its only 5 levels and gives you something better than or equal to a feat EVERY level (thats 5 feats)... thats alot in my eyes... Also if I keep ALl o the alternative Lv5 abilities it would be better (which in the write up I DID inculde these I was just thinking that was too much) I dont want to overload it with good stuff...

but yeah the main reason I posted a thread was to get feedback (I always thought my PrC's I made were overpowered including this one I feel alittle better now that I may be making underpowered PrC's (although the spellcasting PrCs are really the ones that are hard to balance)...

Last edited:

Belzbet

First Post
In general when making a PrC i feel hesitant to give it maybe subpar abilites but that are perfect synergy with the prestige class... It feels to contrived...

Manzotin

First Post
I actually play a trip fighter. Your class is nice, but i would never take it. Just too single focused.
I mean, the trip bonuses are great, but you probably will end died due to lack of manuvers\feats that increase your chances to survive at the foe that resisted after your first 2\3 atks.

My brainstorm, maybe can be useful:

More intensive entry. I will say at least 3 feats, 1 out of the standard "trip build" like Mobility or Bull Rush
Give him a bonus for bigger enemies (like reaping mauler's one) at str chks instead of static bonus.
Let him add a stat in addiction to str at tripping checks (like int, you already need it for C. Expertise)
Add something like "if you trip, tripped enemy can take only 1 move or standard action next round" so he can't get up with full-round-no-AOO-action or full attack when prone
Martial arts judo\army suggestions are a nice. You could add something like trip+bull rush for the tripping trow, as standard action.
"tripping cleave" : you down a foe, free trip attempt vs another you treathen.
While using C.Expertise at least -4, add int bonus to dodge
Free 5ft step after a successful trip.
During a charge, Trip AOO to every enemy you treathen during your movement.
If enemy tripped, free Intimidate check to scare him
If hit during c.Expertise, 1\round free AOO disarm

I could go on forever so i stop here :p

- The ability to trip or use trip to inconvenience creatures you just plain can't (stalling flying enemies in the air, ...

It was ruled in the D&D Official FAQs IIRC: you can trip a flying enemy, stalling him, unless he's fliyng with perfect manuvrability.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I think it was Rules of the Game. But not every DM necessarily follows that advice. In some cases, it's REALLY bad advice, though I liked that particular article.

Remove ads