• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Precocious Apprentice question

IamTheTest

First Post
If I had a Wizard1/Druid3 and I took Precosious Apprentice (Complete Arcane pg. 181) would the character be eligible to take a level in Mystic Theurge?

Is there an official ruling on this?

It seems a little broken that I could have a Wizard1/Druid3/Mystic Theurge6/Arcane Heirophant10. That would be a PC that could Wild Shape as a 13th level Druid and cast 9th level arcane and 9th level divine spells. Thanks for your input!

ARandomGod

First Post
IamTheTest said:
If I had a Wizard1/Druid3 and I took Precosious Apprentice (Complete Arcane pg. 181) would the character be eligible to take a level in Mystic Theurge?

Is there an official ruling on this?

It seems a little broken that I could have a Wizard1/Druid3/Mystic Theurge6/Arcane Heirophant10. That would be a PC that could Wild Shape as a 13th level Druid and cast 9th level arcane and 9th level divine spells. Thanks for your input!

I believe that the writers said "No, you can't" and then came up with a half baked explanation as to why not.

Which I believe was along the lines of the fact that you might fail to be able to cast the spell, so you can't actually cast it... or something silly like that.

Yes, it would be overpowered. Yes, if the GM sees this and ok's it anyway it's all good... and yes the "feat" is, as I understand it, listed there as an example of what might be a feat, and so some people can (have) argued that it's not an actual feat anyway.

delericho

Legend
Thanee said:
You do not fulfill this, if you have that feat. ;) :p

Bye
Thanee

The problem with that line of reasoning is that a character with the feat has a high enough Int to qualify for a bonus 2nd level spell slot, and there's nothing in the feat description to deny him that slot (as is the normal case when a PC has a spell slot of a particular level).

That gives him two slots with which to cast one 2nd level spell. If that doesn't meet the "spells" requirement, then neither does a 4th level Sorcerer qualify for Mystic Theurge.

I still wouldn't allow it - I generally don't allow Prestige Classes, generally don't allow (many) expansion materials, and certainly wouldn't allow that feat anyway. However, it is a valid (if munchkin) interpretation of the RAW.

ThirdWizard

First Post
You can't get bonus spells unless you have at least 0 castings per day of that level. The feat doesn't change that fact. By that reasoning, a 1st level wizard with 18 Int can cast level 3 spells. There's a difference between having a wizard caster level of 3 and being a 3rd level wizard. One gives you access to spells, BAB, feats, skill ranks, etc. The other does not.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
delericho said:
That gives him two slots with which to cast one 2nd level spell. If that doesn't meet the "spells" requirement, then neither does a 4th level Sorcerer qualify for Mystic Theurge.

You don't even need a bonus slot.

If I cast Web today, and I cast Web tomorrow, have I not demonstrated my ability to cast second level spells (plural) in the same way that a Sor4 who casts Web twice has?

-Hyp.

FireLance

Legend
IamTheTest said:
You don't need that feat. A Druid 3/Wizard 3/Mystic Theurge 4/Arcane Hierophant 10 can also wild shape as a 13th-level druid and cast 9th level arcane and divine spells. If your DM allows it (I wouldn't), the feat just bumps your druid spellcasting by 2 levels (2 levels of mystic theurge instead of 2 levels of wizard).

Remove ads