• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pregnancy, Babies and children in Campaigns

Recently the game I am running has come to something that's not discussed in too many of the official rule books I know of. We've got a Half-Drow baby on the way. The mother is days away from giving birth and is very moody and angry.

At the same time, a Scout PC actually has a three year old daughter with another character and the little girl is distanced from the action. Still PCs lead very dangerous lives, as we all know. That's their job.

What I was going to ask is who has had to deal with pregnancy and children in their campaign. The little girl, Holly is her name, was there from the games start. But now we're having a new kid come into play. Any tips that are good? Are there any good third part sources? Should the nature of the game change with the coming of this kid? Should characters bow out (really that's their choice I guess).

But how is a DM supposed to react, what are some tips anyone here has used.

Celebrim

Legend
I had extensive mechanics for this in 1st edition because in character pregnancy and parenthood are almost inevitable in any long running campaign. Sooner or latter, some player is going to believe it is right for their character to enter into an erotic relationship with someone, and eventually in a realistic universe that's going to lead to pregnancy and children.

I've known of players who retired adventuring characters to allow them to be parents and spend time with their children. That's probably unusual, but with really good RPers or people who have narrative goals, you can have people see that as a satifying outcome and story arc. The player would argue that once you have kids, your job is no longer saving the world and becomes the more important job of saving your kids.

I think this is a matter that's entirely up to the player. I wouldn't try to tell a player how to be a parent. The relationship of their character to their child is their decision.

The DM's responce should be to try to grow the situation in a way that is a reasonable and realistic responce to the character's actions. The DM needs to treat the child as any other NPC and develop a personality for the child (I actually had rules for determining the personality randomly based on the parents alignments and the astrological sign), and then imagine how the child, the child's gaurdian/caretaker, and so forth respond to PC actions.

I'd try to avoid sterotypes. Not every child hates its parent for being absent. The missing parent can also be idealized, which can be just as big of a problem if not more so. The missing parent might also be a non-factor to the child, and any future intrusion would be considered unwelcome. Spouses might be understanding of the other parent's absence, or they might be filled with complete rage about it. Or somewhere in the middle. Decide on a personality for the child, and work with it. Of course, this is only likely to matter if the pacing of your campaign is such that children have time to grow up.

I'd pay careful attention to the historical problem of parenting and absent father's (often away on long voyages, serving in the army, etc.). Childhood is something of a modern romantic social construct, and ancient childhood is more marked by the looming prospect of death than anything else. Presumably, if the parent can tuck away the child amongst a loving larger extended family somewhere (time to invent the PC's relatives!) then the child is in fact living an almost normal life, even with a parent absent more often than not. If the parent on the other hand can't do this, then the question of where the parent tucks the kid away (convent, boarding school, foster parents, etc.) is going to be the essential one. It's going to be even more essential if the baby is a 'monster' of mixed race.

Loved ones can be great plot hooks. While infants and three year olds are basically fragile burdens, eventually they can become important NPC's in their own right. In a world where magic and heroes are available, child heroes are possible. There are real world 12 year old kings who were beserker warriors not only capable of killing grown men with battle axes, but having done so in a dozen battles, so its not at all improbable in a fantasy world that the PC's 12 year old kid is a dangerous 3rd or 4th level character in their own right.

Last edited:

Thanks for the post, I actually planned for the three year old to be an Avatar of Pelor. Her father has already spoken to a demigod about it (they summoned him).So I actually plan to have the kids become important if things do extend to that point.

Hawken

First Post
You might want to check out the Book of Erotic Fantasy. It has a pretty well laid (pun intended) out system for dealing with fertility/pregnancy and the views of many/most races on the subject.

As for parenting and adventuring, the others have covered that. Families often had one or two parents out of the house, with nannies or sweat shops occupying the days of the children. Kids were put to work at tasks as hard or harder than a lot of work adults had to do. They didn't get to sit around and (learn to) read or sing songs or play. They were busy too.

Bringing children into a game is a tricky thing. Use them as roleplaying tools for characters; something for the heroes to come home to, motivation for them to go out adventuring and bring home the "big bucks", but keep them out of the fighting (saves you the trouble of statting them up). Games that get into violence against children are a little too dark for most people--even most zombie movies don't show children/children zombies getting hurt--so its probably best to stay away from that. Treat it kind of like the PCs having sex--keep it "off screen" if it has to happen.

Herzog

Adventurer
I have two groups with (upcoming) IC children.

One where the party rogue tended to win over potential protectors with her body. She ended up pregnant of a Beastman (Rules Cyclopedia D&D) and has just past the three months pregnant line. She's been using some old pregnancy and mood swings tables I dug up several years ago. Unfortunately, the campaign has only one or two sessions a year (VERY slow campaign, but still running....) so I'm not sure when or if that baby is every going to see the light of day.

In the other group, the party cleric (interestingly enough, the same player as in the other campaign....) picked up a couple of kobold kids (respectively 3 and 5 months old).
I've been tracking their aging process, but have kept them out of harms way for most of the time, unless the party directs their attention to them.
They form interesting comic relief, especially when combined with 'Uncle Brutagh', the incredible stupid Half-Ogre barbarian, who tends to play with them a lot. Regardless of circumstances. (he once decided to play hide-and-seek near the entrance of a yet unexplored abandoned temple entrance, and nearly got them killed in the process)

My suggestion is to let the PC take the lead in how to deal with the kid. It is a liability, but it's only fun when the PC handles accordingly. It's no fun when the PC ignores the kid, the kid gets killed, and you play on.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
As a side-note, one of my favorite magic items in a third-party book is Penelope's portable playroom from Sisters of Rapture (Warning! This link - thanks to the flash preview - is NSFW!).

The playroom is a pocket dimension set up specifically to cater to small children, including having a big, animated plush bear to act as a nanny. It's the perfect magic item for the adventuring mom!

Fallenibilis

First Post
i have to agree with herzog in the campaigin that im currently in we have to instinces of children the first is that our party picked up a kid about 12 and because of a myterius note one of several we had recivied we thought we had to protect him so we hauled him along with us on an adventure he proved to be a capable fighter but he ended up dying trying to revive or druid with a healing potion (got smashed by an ogre) so we hurried out to the closest temple to revive him and after an imposed geas we got him back though wwe have learned that the kid is a natural born were-tiger and often ends up saving us. The other instice is that or human fighter ran off to adventure on his 3 month pregnat girlfreind and we only recently returned he did the right thing in the end and married her.

Remove ads