• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Prerequisites forItem Creation Feat

Jotun

First Post
To make a wonderous item like elven boots, does the creator himself or herself have to be the elf? Could a collaborator be the elf? Where are the rules for this published?

Thanks in advance to all those that know the DND rules better than me.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
To make a wonderous item like elven boots, does the creator himself or herself have to be the elf? Could a collaborator be the elf?

Either the person with the Item Creation feat has to be an elf (or half-elf), or the creator has to make the boots out of an elf. This requires the Profession : Tanner and Craft : Cobbler skills.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
But elven skin makes poor leather and you will get low quality boots.

You'd be better off making slippers.

It doesn't take dye well, either - it's why elven cloaks are always that dull grey colour.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The other problem is the risk of accidentally trapping the elf's soul into the item. With the automatic resizing properties of magic boots, you could end up with vengeful giant-sized boots stomping all over you in your sleep (very, very quietly).

[sigh]

Things were so much easier for depraved dweomercrafters back in first edition, when elves didn't have souls...

-Hyp.

Jotun

First Post
I appreciate the humor.

DMG makes mention of how a divine caster and an arcane spellcaster can work in conjunction on a magical item when the creator is assisted by another who provides a needed spell.

As I read it, there's no mention of getting a feat or a race prerequisite filled from another person, only a spell component.

This is all on page 178 DMG for those that are less familiar with the rules I am asking about.

I apologize if this question is one that is often asked. It is difficult to know since the search function is blocked out.

I also apologize if this seems to be a munchkin question and that is what has triggered the humourous response.

Thanks to all that have provided me with useful help.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Look, you don't need an elf to make an item that allows you to move silently or hide better.

They named it elven boots just for flavor, that's all.

An item that grants +10 to a skill is worth 2000 GP (Bonus squared X 20 GP). Just design something that fits your PC and get it approved by your DM.

Call them the fuzzy slipper of the bunny, require them to be made out of dire rabbit skin and price them at 2,000 GP; tadaa!

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I also apologize if this seems to be a munchkin question and that is what has triggered the humourous response.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

No, it doesn't seem to be a munchkin question... but I would say that the only cooperation the creator can get is for providing prerequisite spells.

Prerequisites like "Must have 5 ranks in the Climb Skill" or "Must be an elf", I would guess, would have to be innate to the creator.

But I don't have a rules reference to support that - only that spell-cooperation is specifically allowed, whereas anything else isn't mentioned.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
An item that grants +10 to a skill is worth 2000 GP (Bonus squared X 20 GP). Just design something that fits your PC and get it approved by your DM.

Items that do that often have a prerequisite of "5 ranks in the relevant skill", though.

If someone wanted to make a Ring of Move Silently, I'd look at the Ring of Climbing and Ring of Swimming to base my prerequisites on.

-Hyp.

Jotun

First Post
Here's my rationale for not allowing something like a "race/class/feat component" to be added by a 2nd party.

Monk Tattoo from Magic of Faerun requires the creator to be a 7th level monk. I have a hard time believing that a monk could impart the knowledge and power gained from 7 levels of "monk experience" to a spellcaster making the item.

On the flip-side, a character's gonna need to have 7 levels of monk class and at least 3 levels of spellcasting and the Craft Item feat just to make this particular item. Makes such an item pretty rare and quite exclusive.

Remove ads