Prisoner interrogation methods

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I just thought of a fairly reliable way to interrogate a prisoner: knock them unconscious, cast charm person, detect thoughts, zone of truth or whatever else you have that might help that requires a Will save, then heal them back up. Since they were unconscious, they were willing targets. They won't even necessarily know the spell is active when they come to.

What clever methods have you seen used to extract information from unfriendlies?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
It would be nice if it worked that way, but it doesn't. It takes a conscious act of will to purposefully fail your save, ie to be willing.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
blargney the second said:
I just thought of a fairly reliable way to interrogate a prisoner: knock them unconscious, cast charm person, detect thoughts, zone of truth or whatever else you have that might help that requires a Will save, then heal them back up. Since they were unconscious, they were willing targets. They won't even necessarily know the spell is active when they come to.
I wouldn't allow such spells to work this way; there'd be a save regardless, as a person's will should be active whether conscious or not. Otherwise, those spells get broken pretty fast...never mind your party wizard could auto-charm the whole party in a single night's camping...

What clever methods have you seen used to extract information from unfriendlies?
Clever method? You mean there's methods other than torture, pain, and misery? ;)

Lanefan

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
blargney the second said:

There's a difference between 'Willing target' and 'electing to fail a Will save'.

Some spells can only be cast on a 'willing target' - Teleport, Levitate, etc. If someone is unconscious, they are automatically considered willing.

Other spells have a Will Negates saving throw - like Charm Person. Someone can elect to fail this saving throw. But if they're unconscious, they're incapable of making the decision to fail the saving throw, and thus the save is rolled as normal.

A willing target does not automatically forego his save. (Indeed, most spells that require a willing target have a saving throw entry of 'None'...)

-Hyp.

Storyteller01

First Post
depends on the person in question. Guild assassins tend to get talkative if you threaten to spread rumors that you paid him off, then release him...

Shallown

First Post
I think the only will saves that you automatically forgoe is harmless ones. I seem to rmember reading that somewhere in the rules. I think mainly to allow Healing spells to affect the unconcious.

Later

Though I could be wrong.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Hypersmurf said:
Some spells can only be cast on a 'willing target' - Teleport, Levitate, etc.
Side question: they nerfed Levitate so you can't use it offensively? Sigh...

Lanefan

Gold Roger

First Post
I'll soon play a LN Cleric/church inquisitor of truth and knowledge in a group with a LN Telepath going for Thrallherd in the group. We've already dubbed ourselfes the "friendly fashists" and I'm confident given time we will be to brainwash every Evil Mc'Villain that falls into our hands into a nice puppy loving pillar of society that spoils all of his nefarious knowledge to us. If this thread survives long enough I'll make it a point to report our success and methods to you.

Remove ads