Prisoner interrogation methods

Slife

First Post
Staffan said:
Or the spell's duration of one round runs out.

Talking is a free action, isn't it?

There's the classic (and expensive) pool o' acid + ring of acid regeneration + ring of water breathing. Or just normal torture with a ring of regeneration could work.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
I know this is a fantasy game, so I suppose we can fantasize that torture actually produces reliable information if we want to... but why do we want to? :confused:

Zone of truth, discern lies, detect thoughts, charm, suggestion, touch of idiocy to reduce saves against above... Information extraction is but a low level caster or two away.

shilsen

Adventurer
I've always been a big fan of cutting small pieces off someone, roasting them, and feeding them to the original owner.

Oh, you mean in the game...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Does Suggestion still exist as a spell in 3e? If so, there's yer answer; "I suggest you tell me what you know about [whatever relevant topic]."

If you want a bigger hammer, Quest or Geas would also work, though slowly.

Lanefan

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Lanefan said:
If you want a bigger hammer, Quest or Geas would also work, though slowly.

Well, there's debate as to whether someone can simply elect to ignore a Quest and suck up the penalties.

From Geas:
"This spell functions similarly to lesser geas, except that it affects a creature of any HD and allows no saving throw."

From Lesser Geas:
"The geased creature must follow the given instructions until the geas is completed, no matter how long it takes."

Note that Lesser Geas does not allow someone to say "Meh"... they must follow the given instructions.

From Lesser Geas:
"If the subject is prevented from obeying the lesser geas for 24 hours, it takes a –2 penalty to each of its ability scores."

So, there is a penalty for not obeying the Lesser Geas... but since there is no option to ignore the instructions, it only kicks in if the subject is somehow prevented from obeying.

From Geas:
"Instead of taking penalties to ability scores (as with lesser geas), the subject takes 3d6 points of damage each day it does not attempt to follow the geas/quest."

So, if the subject does not attempt to follow the geas, he takes damage.

The debate is whether the phrase "it does not attempt to follow" is implicit permission to opt not to follow... or whether the subject is still bound by the "must follow" clause of Lesser Geas, and the damage for not attempting to follow can only apply if, as with Lesser Geas, some outside agency prevents the subject from doing so.

I'm of the opinion that the "must follow" clause still binds the subject of Geas... so once the 10 minute casting time is up, they'd be compelled to cooperate immediately.

-Hyp.

Toras

First Post
Honestly, if we wanted information that was reliable and had the time you use the standard techniques that actually work.

-Hunger (just enough food to survive, not enought to be clear headed)
-Disorientation (Confuse them, establish patterns and break them)
-Roles (Friend [help/heal/don't lie to him], Enemy [Hurt] )
-Chemicals
-Magic (Illusions)

If pressed for time
-Good cop, Bad cop
-Torture, but only if you have other sources to confirm.
-Compelling Magic (Domination, Geas, etc.)

Slife

First Post
Another one:

Under RAW, you can use True Resurrection as a very expensive divination spell

"This spell can even bring back creatures whose bodies have been destroyed, provided that you unambiguously identify the deceased in some fashion (reciting the deceased’s time and place of birth or death is the most common method). "

There's a lot of info you can mine out of that clause. Especially because if the spell fails you don't have to spend anything.

"I resurrect the person in this room who knows that the BBEG hideout is under the castle"
*Spell failure*
"I resurrect the person in this room who knows that the BBEG hideout is twelve miles due north"
*Spell failure*

And so on!

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Lock him in a room with a fan of the prequal trilogy and someone who dislikes those movies, and force him to listen as they bicker about the quality of the movies. After about 10 minutes he will tell you anything you want to know.

Snowy

Explorer
so torture an intimidate check possibly with a circumstance bonus.

or persuasion that it'll be better of to talk for soem reason being a diplomacy check (I prefer rich ??? writer of oots' alternate rules though dont follow them religiously)

Thats what I tend to go for.

Torture without any ranks in intimidate will get you a babbling wreck or a stubborn mule who clams up further convinced that you wont stop even if he does talk.

Coercion likewise tied to a diplomacy or intimidate check (possibly a bluff one as well depending on circumstances) skill ranks for a reason. getting them to do what you want rather than just falling to pieces.

Remove ads