Professor Lampwick's Flying Goon Squad (A Thrilling Adventure)

Buk

First Post
The journey

CD, you catch the potion vendor as he's rolling out of town and manage to procue the last of his inventory. "Well," he says, "I'm off to re-supply. You adventureres can be so ravenous." He shakes his head, then squeaks and jingles on his way.

As you begin your journey, Stegn (pronounced 'stain') tells you of the mighty sword-eating beast with antennae that near dragged him to the depths of Jim's hole, there to feast on his bones, and how it's breath stunk of brimstone and it had wings... yes, huge wings and eyes of blue fire. It was terrible to behold, and he barely escaped with his life. It was a good thing for Jim that old Stegn was there, otherwise he would surely have died a horrible, painful, agonizing, embarrassing death.

The gnome continues to ramble well into the day. As nightfall approaches, he tells you the campsite is only a few hours away. You could reach it by midnight, or you could make camp.

Pleasius, you know these woods pretty well, and realize that traveling by night can be a bit hazardous. All sorts of things lurk around here, but most can be held at bay by a strong campfire.

So, what will it be? Forge onward, or camp? (This would be a good time for you to set up a default marching order as well as a watch schedule.)

Fou Pow!

First Post
Buk said:
As you begin your journey, Stegn (pronounced 'stain') tells you of the mighty sword-eating beast with antennae that near dragged him to the depths of Jim's hole, there to feast on his bones, and how it's breath stunk of brimstone and it had wings... yes, huge wings and eyes of blue fire. It was terrible to behold, and he barely escaped with his life.

I listen intently to the filthy Stegn, then exclaim, "Antennae? Brimstone!? Wings!?! EYES!?!?!?!? Man of Science, whatever could this be? Better still: How best to cleanse Jim's Hole of this vileness?"

Buk said:
The gnome continues to ramble well into the day. As nightfall approaches, he tells you the campsite is only a few hours away. You could reach it by midnight, or you could make camp.
Pleasius, you know these woods pretty well, and realize that traveling by night can be a bit hazardous. All sorts of things lurk around here, but most can be held at bay by a strong campfire.

"My friends, if this antennae-weilding, brimstone-smelling, wing-flapping, eye-looking beastie is brave enough to intrude upon Jim's Hole during the day, who knows what manner of loathsome foulness may seep forth from Jim's Hole under cover of darkness? I think it best to rest here tonight and assail Jim's Hole with fresh minds and bodies upon dawn's first light. But Pleasius, you know these surroundings best. What say you? Do we dare brave these woods at night, or shall we take our place in the trees and set watch?"

=================================

OOC: Being the front-line combatant, FP! will at least be side-by-side with Stegn, whom I'm assuming would need to lead the way. If the group makes camp for the night, he'll take first watch so's MofS can get his mizzemorizin' on and what-not.

Man of Science

First Post
"Hmm, Fou Pow! Methinks yon gnome's imagination is as large as he is aptly named. No such beast exists that I know of. From its behavior and (initial) descrpiption I think we will face a Rust Monster in Jim's hole, at least. We shall asail it with non-metal objects, such as your fists, and my spells, and Pleasius' and Chopper Dave's arrows."

"It will surely fall to such fury."

"Camping sounds like the best idea to me. We can take a fresh start in the morning. I'll take last watch, if it is agreeable to you all."

Before night falls, I will find a sturdy stick with which to make a club (since mine is cold iron :heh: ), and on my watch I will whittle the bark off of it and make a nice weapon of it. If we camp, I will memorize the same spells I already have.

I would suggest Fou Pow! and Pleasius in the front row, me in the second, and Chopper Dave in the back (except when we need searchin done for traps and what not).

Fou Pow!

First Post
I lay a finger aside my nose and wink knowingly at MofS. "Ah, a rust monster, you say? Understood. Best not to use my Iron Wombat techniques, then."

I turn back to the group: "Very well! Under the wise guidance of the Man of Science I suggest we all settle down for the night. I will gather wood for a fire, and will also find a sturdy branch or two for rust monster beating, although I need not whittle it down, as I have learned the ancient drunkard secrets of Improvising Weapons.

"Pleasius, perchance you could find us some game for dinner? I have a sassy little cabernet hooch that's just begging for a wild coney or two."

Chopper Dave

First Post
"Well, I'm more than comfortable taking up the rear. All these open spaces make me nervous. I'm also nervous of losing this fine Rapier of Frost, which I have named "Brrrrnnie. Luckily I took the precaution of procuring a bow and arrows. Let us camp for the night, and I'll check this tree for traps."

Man of Science

First Post
"Ah, very thorough of you, Chopper Dave. That tree was looking a bit suspicious, what with all its overhanging branches and what not."

. . . so . . . we camp and the next day travel to Jim's hole . . . ?

Fou Pow!

First Post
Chopper Dave said:
"Well, I'm more than comfortable taking up the rear. All these open spaces make me nervous."

To Chopper Dave: "More's the better, then. ;) I suggest you keep a firm grip on the rear as we make our initial thrust into Jim's hole tomorrow, as well."

To everyone: "Alright everyone, let's get some rest but be aware... :uhoh: I don't know how long these double entendres can hold out. Kord knows we'll have to put a cork in it sometime."

Buk

First Post
somethin big

Once CD has ascertained that the tree is safe, you make camp. MS, you find a nice stick what for whackin things with and set to whittling. During your watch, night birds tweet, the fire crackles, and it begins to drizzle. Eventually, you awaken FP for the next watch and curl up in your warm blankets, lulled to sleep by the amazing 3-tone snores of Stegn.

FP, you're testing your acrobatics prowess by flipping from tree to tree and just generally being impressive when you hear a thumping sound in the distance. It's rhythmic, and first you think it might be drums. As it draws closer, however, you realize the sound is heavy footfalls.

Somethin' big is a-comin'.

Fou Pow!

First Post
To Arms! To Arms!!

Instantly and expertly realizing that I made my Listen check, I quietly make my way down out of the treetops and steal over to the campsite, quietly waking my comrades. I speak no words, but rather impart knowledge of what I heard through some exquisitely performed pantomiming (perform -2). :uhoh: :] :mad: :uhoh: :lol: :confused: :] :eek: :uhoh:

I will then prepare my spiked chain :] and make my way, silently :uhoh: (move silently +10) back towards the direction of the noise, but off to the right (my right) and find some brush to hide in or a tree to hide behind :uhoh: (hide +4) so's I can ambush whatever is coming. (My plan is to wait for it to pass and then attack it from behind.) :]

Man of Science

First Post
Awakened, I will grab my gear, cast Mage Armor on myself, and move to the left side of the campsite. Once there I will duck as well as I can into the shadows (Hide +0) and ready "Blindness/Deafness". :cool:

Remove ads