D&D (2024) Pulse check on 1D&D excitement level

What is your level of excitement for 1D&D?

• Very High - I love the direction 1D&D is going, the playtest will only make it better

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • High - Mostly the right direction and feels like the playtest will result in a product I like

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • Meh - It's different, but not exciting, let's see where it goes from here

Votes: 85 35.9%
  • Low - Mostly the wrong direction for me, but hopeful the playtest will improve it

Votes: 22 9.3%
  • Very Low - Mostly the wrong direction for me, and doubtful the playtest will improve it

Votes: 66 27.8%

• Poll closed .

OB1

Jedi Master
With 4 playtest packets out and half the class redesigns revealed, thought it might be an interesting time to get a sense on how we all feel about the direction of 1D&D. What started for me as Very High to High with the first packet release has dropped to Meh level, and while I realize it's still very early in the process, I'm starting to feel very grongnardy about 5e. Interested to hear what everyone else is thinking!

mellored

Legend
Except for the druid, which has the right core direction but terrible execution, I have like all the updates so far. A general move away from front loading, a gentle expansion of options spread out at different levels, more supportive of choosing your own flavor, and a better eye for balance.

The only main sore point IMO is the dying rules encouraging not healing anyone untill they drop. But that's not different, just continue the previous bad design. I would like to see a bigger gap between defeat and death. A way to get your butt kicked, but come back again another day.

OB1

Jedi Master
I like 5e how it is, maybe I borrow some rules, but I think it's unlikely I'll ever switch entirely to One D&D if it goes the way it's going. Not because it's bad, but because it's unexciting. It's just 5e but more unfamiliar and not really better.
This is exactly how I'm feeling about it at this point. I was extremely excited with the first packet, because it felt like it was a genuine improvement over the old species, background rules. Since then it's just felt different, not better, and almost feels like it's mostly changes to make the game run smoother (and cheaper) on a VTT.

Remove ads