D&D (2024) Have we potentially seen the end of the OneD&D Playtest?

mellored

Legend
I fail to see why OGL drama would change wizards plans for the playtest.

They still need to sell books. And it's been 10 years since they updated the players handbook. And they still want feedback on those updates.

It's still in their best interest to make the best one DnD game, for the most players, that they can.

Dausuul

Legend
Is there any reason to believe that the people most invested in the playtest and interested in 1D&D would not be on WotC's side in this? I know it feels like "everyone" supports the OGL and 3PPs right now but that could very well be an echo chamber effect.
I was quite interested in 1D&D and was filling out the surveys. I was pretty happy with the overall thrust of the changes -- not all of them, I had some extensive complaints about the spell lists, but mostly I liked where they were going and was quite prepared to buy the new edition.

Now I'm ready to burn it all down and swear off giving Wizards another dime if they don't change course.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
I mean, that is normal for the rest of the world, things like OGL is usually done by nonprofit organization instead of corporation.
Or by most of software companies who work on open source code... Nobody would call Google or Microsoft non-profits, yet they release tons of software for free for anybody else (including competitors) to use with licences way more open than OGL

Dausuul

Legend
I am worried about this. I see so many people saying they will bomb those surveys... either that or just they have to adjust for "if someone just down votes everything and/or mentions the OGL throw that one out"
In the short term, they probably will get bombed. Over the long haul, I expect most of us who are angry about this will simply quit bothering with them. The survey data will return to normal, except that there will be a lot less of it.

Olrox17

Hero
Who even cares about the playtest in the current circumstances? I may or may not vandalize the next survey, but chances are I'll just ignore it.

Shiroiken

Legend
I really hope this isn't the end of the playtest. So far, I've been fairly pleased with the direction it's been going, and I'd be really unhappy if it came to an end. While I may not fully continue into 1D&D, I'm likely to use the PHB.

In the short term, they probably will get bombed. Over the long haul, I expect most of us who are angry about this will simply quit bothering with them. The survey data will return to normal, except that there will be a lot less of it.
I wouldn't bomb the individual items. I suggest bombing the additional comments section, which is what I plan to do. I don't feel it's fair to ruin ideas you might otherwise approve of, simply because you're mad at a different department of the company.

Olrox17

Hero
I think it is a mistake to assume that most D&D players care enough about this to stop playing D&D, stop using Beyond, and stope engaging with 1D&D.
You can bet the players I DM for won't, I was the one pushing the playtest to them. Not anymore.
If most groups are like mine, with the DM being the only one buying the books, engaging with the community and caring about the playtest, the playtest may be in deep trouble.

Remove ads